Need help with eva foam (new maker)

collinlueb

So i'm just starting out making smaller things and in one of my more recent projects i tried out using EVAfoam. I loved working with it but i don't know if it was just the box-cutter i was using but i could never cut it well (even though i was using brand new blades. What do you guys use to cut EVAfoam? also any cool tricks that i can do with EVA foam would be nice. thanks!

Fresh blades should do the the trick, but it also helps if you angle the blade at as shallow and angle as you can manage so that more of the blade is in contact with the foam. Aside from that, I don't know of any other tricks to help in cutting foam.

can always use sanding paper to smooth down rough edges or a dremel sanding drum or better yet both :) but yeah as riceball says sharp blades and cutting at a shallow angle

ohh do not do this unless someone else says its ok but does a hot wire cutter work? dont want suggest it cause it could burst into flames or give off toxic fumes but it might work - never tried it though

Sharp blades are a must beyond anything. I've likely built 4 dozen+ suits over the years, cutting 95% of my foam with a plain old grocery store box cutter. You can buy 100 packs of single-edge blades or a blade sharpener as well, when in doubt grab a new blade. Also, I cut on a wooden cutting board, the hard surface always gave better cut control than other material. Depending on the thickness, hot knives can work, but they bring fumes into the equation and are less accurate than a steady razor.
If you get a chance, read through jfcustom's foam build thread on this forum. I will try to remember to link to it later here, but it's a great resource for foam tips and tricks, even just on the first page ✌

oh kinda forgot to mention perhaps the easiest way to cut it - you might not have one but a bandsaw makes easy work out of foam and with perfect cuts every time

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back