Need Help with a "Sagging" wing on a resin Hammerhead Fighter.

darkev2

In another post I mentioned that I have on hand a 1/48 Scale kit of the Hammerhead Fighter from Space ABove and Beyond. While I am very happy that I do have the kit there is a bit of an issue; the leading and trailing edges of both wing halves have a MAJOR Shape and Sag problem. Here are some pictures;

photo 5(1).JPG photo 4(1).JPG

photo 3(3).JPG photo 2(3).JPG

photo 1(4).JPG

While the first picture shows the somewhat correct profile (rear is okay and front is sagged) of one of the wings the other one is clearly BEND and Deformed in both the leading and trailing edges. Can anyone out there offer any suggestions on how the could be fixed and/or addressed. Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated!!!

First of all, was this wing received like this or was this due to poor storage conditions? (Hot garage, or attic) if it was received like this, it was probably demoulded before the resin completely cured. If it wasn't poor storage conditions, you may need to use a long and thin drill bit to drill down the center of the wing and pin the wing in several places to give it strength...after you straighten it, of course.

If the first picture is the correct profile, I would make a strong wood form that matches the wing profile. Use as heat gun and slowly heat the resin and use another flat piece of wood to press the wing back to the correct profile. Don't use too much heat or else you will turn the resin to goo. Just use enough until you can bend the part. Have a bowl of ice water nearby and use a paper towel soaked in the ice water to lock the warmed resin in the correct position.

I've done this several times with great success.

TazMan2000

I've straightened resin parts by heating them with hot water. It heats the part evenly without melting it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Have had success with a hair dryer set faily low. Take you time and test the resin periodically to see if it is softening. Looks like you have multiple issues on each wing. Have had best luck addressing each distortion seperately.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back