Need Help - TNG - DS9 Carry cases ect

Hiddenevil

Hi guys, i just found out about the fake RPF :( After posting this thread up the other day, not even knowing it was on the hacked site! I thought it was odd when nobody replied! :lol

Anyhoo, i've not been doing much prop making recently, so i've pulled my finger out and started on a couple of projects.

I'm trying to make some Star Trek TNG/DS9/Voyager themed carry cases to place my props in ect.

I've been looking online but i dont seem to be able to find what i'm looking for. For instance when ever one of the TNG crew was packing up, you'd see them stuffing clothes ect in to a tube / hexagon shaped bag. This same bag is seen in the game "Star Trek: Borg" Just before Q turns up, if i recall.

I've also been looking at the casette storage boxes. I dont know how it is for guys in the states. But here in England, the pickings on ebay are few and far between. I've considered using the case from a Dremmel tool.

I was wondering if any of you have tried this project yourselves and could offer some advice or direction.

Cheers
James

Quite surprised nobody has come back on this, so guess i shall throw i little more out there from the research i'm doing.

The following images are what i have found online, credit goes to the owners. I'm only posting them for show.

Ration packs from Insurrection - Apparently the made from what you'd expect, day to day items.

From TNG - This item can be seen in sickbay, it is apparently a non functioning prop. With decals attached.

TNG Engineering tool box? - This as with most budget TNG props, is a tape cassette box.

This is from Voyager, not entirely sure what it's made from. I think i recall reading somewhere it was a Sony carry case.

Note - If anyone has more to add one what some of these items are, i'd love to hear it. Would be really cool to identify these props. I know i've missed some, so please if anyone has pix, post them up :D

Last edited:
This will be a good thread as a lot of members here know a lot about all the different cases used on the Franchises many incarnations

Most of the cases used early on in Next Gen are almost imposible to find as they were made in the late 80's.

They are hard to find here in the states as well

Some cases were custom made for the show, and some were Doskicil, spelling?, gun cases which are hard to find also.

There were others as well

Keep an eye out on E-bay for them.

I used to have the Engineering Case pictured above but gave it away.

I forgot which episode but when it first aired I recognized that it was a cassette case I had seen at K-Mart and as soon as the show ended I ran out and bought a few! :lol

Last edited:
Hey Apollo :)

Thanks thats encouraging to know, i hope people on here will find it of some use. One of my friends has expressed a desire for some Trek bags and asked if it would be within my expertise to make something. I'm still something of a novice, but i love making stuff. Usually when it's something for myself i'd be lazy and get around to it eventually. But as this is a request, it's kicked me up the butt as i now have a promise to forfill :lol

He asked me if the med kit was possible, but i think it's a little to complicated for me at the moment. I've seen a guy on here who made one from styrene, looked awesome!

The bags and cases used throughout the show dont get much attention, as they dont blink, flash or look as cool as a Tricorders. But as my collection of props is increasing, because i keep building. I thought it might be funny to house them in a Trek carry case.

It dont suppose you can remember that hexagon tube bag they had in TNG? It had a strap on it, so it was like a Trek duffle bag.

I really want to try making one out of sheets of styrene. But i can't find any photo's of it at all. I know i didn't make it up :lol

I remember it well as it was one of my favorites.

It's the week-end so hopefully some members will post some pics when they see this.

It dont suppose you can remember that hexagon tube bag they had in TNG? It had a strap on it, so it was like a Trek duffle bag.

Mine too :D I really want to get some reference pix and try making one. Otherwise i might attempt making one myself.

I've found a load more photo's from "its a wrap" which i will upload. I want to stress i'm not trying to steal anyone's images! I'm simply putting them up here for easy viewing and to organise these obscure props into one thread.

:)

This next lot i found on "startrekpropcollector.com"

Picards brief case - a modified cd carry case, very hard to get hold of from what i gather. But very cool :)

OK this was listed as a non-descript duffle bag, this is the first starfleet accessory i've seen made out of fabric :p

And yes finally i found an example of the hexagon case, it's from Enterprise but it was first seen in TNG. This doesn't not look like it was built in house, my spider senses are telling me it's something silly like a storage bin or something. Any guesses folks?

If you look closely i think it's actually made of plastic and that thickness is actually grey foam padding. You can make out a lip, where the foam and the edge of the plastic sides meet. Also the other thing that makes me think it's not a custom build. Is the vacuum formed lid.

It's going to be something silly i just know it :lol If we look over the bags and cases that are listed thus far. Very little money has been spent modifying them. I guess this is due to their low profile on screen, no body except people like us, really pay that much attention to them lol

Hi Guys,
The hexagon case was custom made it was vacuum formed in gray ABS plastic. The fabric one was a purchase and custom embroidery.

HMS Mike

Many thanks for that Mike!

I dont suppose you could throw light on any of the others?

I have some more images which i will be uploading tomorrow :)

They made a cylindrical version of the hexagonal bag, that open on the side instead of at the ends. Will upload tomorrow :D

Thanks Mike

I was wondering what it had been, before becoming a Trek carry case. You have an photo's of what it originally looked like? Might have a look on line tonight.

Hi guys,

here are some pictures of cases I did in the mid to end of the 1990s. "Koffer 3, 5 and 6" were scratchbuilt, the others were found items in different hardware stores and just turned into Starfleet cases with various stripes and decalwork.

Keep on trekking

Dietrich

Those are some awesome cases mate.

How did you make the last one's, i really wouldn't mind having a crack as that style. I'm doing a Convention in a few months and need some trek style bags.

James

Here are some pictures of some of the various cases in their natural form.

1 - Starfleet rations pack (seen in Insurrection) - Started life as a carrying case for a travel size, collapsible, hair dryer made by Conair.

2. Captain Picard's carrying case (seen in TNG episodes Starship Mine and Birthright, Part 1, as well as other DS9 episodes) - Started life as a CD carrying case called a "Clik!Case." Not sure if that is the name of the case or the manufacturer.

3. Geordi's Engineering case (seen in various TNG episodes including The Best of Both Worlds and Aquiel. -Started life as a cassette carrying case. No identifying markings on the case. I have seen them in black, grey and light blue.

4. Data's equipment case (seen in various TNG/DS9/Voyager episodes including TNG episode Booby Trap and Voyager episode Projections - Started life as a cassette carrying case. Made by the same manufacturer as the Geordi case, as they have the same spot in the middle of the front and back of the case for a logo. I have seen them in black, grey and light blue.

5. The Doctor's medical equipment case (seen in just about every episode the Doctor was in once he got to leave sick bay, including Revulsion. - Started life as a carrying case for a heavy duty soldering gun. The case has no markings on it, but one that I found that still had the soldering gun in it said it was from Sears.

All these cases were, of course, from the 80's or 90's, but none are still in production. I have found several over the past few years at thrift stores or garage sales. You can find them very rarely on ebay too.

Terry

One episode had Data landing on a planet to tell the inhabitants they had to leave b/c it was a contested planet. Only Data could go as he wasn't affected by the radiation.

But his shuttle crashes, and he has this box he carries about containing 'dangerous' materials.

The box he carried is a US ammo box made of very dense & heavy plastic.
Years ago someone posted what it was, & I picked up one at a gun show.

Hopefully someone here can remember what episode & more details.

I remember the case. The episode was from the 7th season, and called "Thine Own Self."

Terry

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back