Need help takeing apart an Original Graflex.

Darth_Pain

Like the title says. I need some help. Before I go ripping it appart destroying the extra parts, I'd like to find out some methods, tips and tricks that you have experienced with this conversion.

First the EARS. do I have to grind the one end to remove the pin or should it pop out with some force?
Next, the beer tab..Does it unscrew or do I have to drill it out?
Also, the little switch on the side. How should I get that off.
Thanks,
Sean

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth_Pain @ Jun 10 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]1259723[/snapback]</div>
Like the title says. I need some help. Before I go ripping it appart destroying the extra parts, I'd like to find out some methods, tips and tricks that you have experienced with this conversion.

First the EARS. do I have to grind the one end to remove the pin or should it pop out with some force?
Next, the beer tab..Does it unscrew or do I have to drill it out?
Also, the little switch on the side. How should I get that off.
Thanks,
Sean
[/b]

you sell me your good one and buy a broken one or a replica off Ebay. :p

my .02 ;)

sorry when i heard you use words like destroy in conjunction with the word grafflex...

it hurts my soul.

but i do love a good ROTJ vader... so...

No harm done. :)

I don't want to destroy it.(well, not completely anyway :p ) That's why I'm asking for help.
I've tried to find someone with one already done but, no luck, and to find one broken in only the right spots is crazy hard. This one I'm converting isn't mint. That's why I'm useing it for my DV. My MINT Graflex is going to be my ANH saber. :D
If someone sold replicas that have an identical finish as the originals and not twice the cost. I'd buy them instead, but again, no luck.

Would you be interested in trading the unaltered head piece you have, for a real one that's already stripped down?

I have a friend who might have one--I'm not sure but I can ask him :)

<div class='quotetop'>(ToothTech @ Jun 10 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1259878[/snapback]</div>
Would you be interested in trading the unaltered head piece you have, for a real one that's already stripped down?

I have a friend who might have one--I'm not sure but I can ask him :)
[/b]

I'm not sure.
Does it have the holes drilled?

I don't think so, just the "stuff" removed and ready to start the drilling. I should be in contact with him in the next couple of days, so I can ask then :)

"First the EARS. do I have to grind the one end to remove the pin or should it pop out with some force?"
I drilled the end and removed the pin.

"Next, the beer tab..Does it unscrew or do I have to drill it out?"
Side cutters :)

"Also, the little switch on the side. How should I get that off."
When you have the guts removed you can see the piece that is holding it from the inside, I just popped it off with a screwdriver.

This is one I just finished a while back.

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...opic=110305&hl=

Thanks alot, FRETT. :) :thumbsup
Good advice.

<div class='quotetop'>(ToothTech @ Jun 10 2006, 11:55 PM) [snapback]1259931[/snapback]</div>
I don't think so, just the "stuff" removed and ready to start the drilling. I should be in contact with him in the next couple of days, so I can ask then :)
[/b]

How am I supposed to know he has an original? I can't tell from pics. He would have to send it first, then, I'd send mine to him after confirming it's an original.
I'd also, want to make sure that he knows, mine has some rust spots (2 small ones) and some fine scratches on the body.
You know what, I'm gonna have to pass on that. UNLESS, he has the holes drilled.
You see, I was going to sell the red button and glass eye so I can put the $$ towards the CS bit and vice so, I can drill it.

Not saying your trying to scam me but, you know, I'm just trying to protect myself.

No problem, I certainly understand where you're coming from ;)

The Graf is 100% real--I bought it on eBay. The friend who has it is Brevin Din-Shay; if you look in the archives here you'll see that 25 page Vader RPTJ sabre thread was started by him. He's told me that the Graf is real and not a Larbel or Biskit (the only 2 replicas around when I bought it--Parks wasn't doing them at the time). I don't know the tells,so he can inform you better.

I've talked to him, and he gave me the OK to give you his email, so I'll PM it to you, and you can contact him directly about the finish, drilling, etc if you choose to.

He was a mod here at the RPF a long time ago, and I admin the Blaster Builders Club (note banner :D) so we're fairly easy to "research" if that helps ease your mind any :)

PM to follow shortly ;)

Here is my old tutorial on building the DV ROTJ:

http://www.elvistrooper.com/dvrotj/default.htm

Like I said, that is my old tutorial I made up years back. I was going to make a new tutorial and go into depth a bit more on the strip and build up of the static version but I thought this project was pretty dead. But if there is still interest in building your own then I might take to time and do more pics of the next build I do, which will be my own personal super-dooper accurate parts build, well when I have time.

And here are pics of one of the last build I did about a year back along with a few pics of the first ever proto type machined saber I did some 10 to 15 years ago.

http://www.elvistrooper.com/props/DVrotjGraf/index.htm

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back