Need help picking printer for weapon props

adaliah

i am planning on buying a 3d printer to make replica guns and movie props etc for cosplayers, i am torn between two printers, the Ender 3 Pro or the CR10s Pro, i have never used a 3d printer before, i have seen the CR10s Pro have a lot of negative feedback and i know the Ender 3 Pro is highly rated but would the Ender 3 Pro be good enough to print replica weapon props?

i was told i should get a Original Prusa i3 MK3/S i know the bed is kinda small but i wil only be printing gun props which will be in parts for me to sand and paint etc and wargaming figures but you think this printer is any good? i know it has a good repuatation but do you think all the features are worth the price

Trying to print wargaming minis with an FDM printer will be a fruitless exercise. If you want to do minis, you'll need to get into resin printers, which can be had starting around $400.

ah ok well that was going to be a side thing i will look into them once i have got to grips with a normal 3d printer, the main thing i want my 3d printer for is props movie/game replicas that sort of thing and the odd bust, do you think the Original Prusa i3 MK3/S would be good enough? i have no experience but i've heard nothing but fantastic reivews and how easy it is to use and the good quality

Prusia machines are quite nice, but I have no first hand knowledge not running none so will refrain from further comment

As an example of printing quality for prop weapons, I modeled and printed the Alliance Pistol from the movie Serenity.
I can only speak for the printers I have experience using and for keeping the initial cost and clean up time to a minimum.
serenity alliance pistol 2 sm.jpg

serenity alliance pistol sm.jpg

serenity 3d print 6 exploded view.jpg

It's not a perfect print, but for an inexpensive option (in my opinion), the CR10S and ENDER 3 models are a good choice. It can't of course compete against the more expensive choices.
A little sanding and a good paint job, this example will turn out to be a nice cosplay prop. :)
Another example of many, many prints....
turbine whistle.JPG

Good luck on your choices and Happy printing :)
On a side note, be aware however that the Creality CR10S and the ENDER-3 are both open frame printers (not enclosed) and
will require some assembly, proper set up and tuning.
I bought my E3 as a kit and it did need to be assembled (but I knew that going in).
With proper understanding that it is only a machine and doesn't have the slightest idea what it is printing,
it is up to the user to make the best adjustments and measurements to help the printer do the best it can.

Both will require a fair amount of "user interface" and intervention and are not "plug and play" machines and they will print PLA fairly well.

Last edited:
I always recommend the Prusa kit for a first printer. You're going to need to know how to fix anything that goes wrong, and it will go wrong, with any printer. It's just the nature of the beast at this stage of development. Building a kit teaches you what every single part does and sets you up for success down the road. I have two (Mk2 and Mk3) and they are great printers.

I would recommend the Creality CR-10 as a starter printer. The larger model the better, If you get an order for several props all at the same time a larger bed may be able to fit more than one prop at a time.

TazMan2000

adaliah,
Just as a "for instance".
I print many, many props for myself and others and have found that printing one item after another (in series)
takes a lot of time out of the day.
So then, I thought I could set the printer up to print several items at once on the same table, but for me that
opened up other issues I didn't want to contend with.
So, I thought, what if I get a second printer to do half the work in the same amount of time in a day and the ENDER 3
was my choice.
And of course, since the E3 has worked so well for me and the price fit my budget, I bought a second E3 and assembled
that one as well using the same profile as my CR10 and E3.
Now I could have all three of the printers printing at the same time...........but after selling a few of my earlier printed items,
(I never thought I would be saying this), now I have a third E3 to take the extra load and I just finished it's assembly
and currently testing it now with a 3 hour print.
3rd Ender printer.jpg

I started with a Monoprice Mini for a 3D printer, and it took me a long time to figure out how to use it, as it was my first printer, and it's a quirky machine. As soon as I got it up and running, wires going into the machine under the print bed broke, and effectively killed the darn thing. I will fix them, and hopefully get the machine back up and running. But I decided that it was time to buy a new, bigger machine. I ended up choosing the E3 as well. Looking forward to assembling this sucker! I've become totally hooked on 3D printing! I'm also just printing out a lot of prop weapons!

Noeland,
Be sure and come back here when the printer arrives.
Pre Set up Note:
Since the Ender 3 involves some added assembly by the user, be aware that when it was partially assembled
at Creality, don't expect that they put a lot of time in any "final set up procedure", so you must check everything,
even what was pre-assembled (just as a precautionary measure).
The wheels must be checked for proper adjustment/tension on all rails so that the stepper motors don't over
work them selves, but still maintain a "smooth action".
The Z axis stepper and lead screw will need extra attention as well for proper set up so it does not bind towards
the lower portion of the lead screw.
Measure everything for proper distance to maintain an accurate horizontal and vertical "parallelness".

Last edited:
i am planning on buying a 3d printer to make replica guns and movie props etc for cosplayers, i am torn between two printers, the Ender 3 Pro or the CR10s Pro, i have never used a 3d printer before, i have seen the CR10s Pro have a lot of negative feedback and i know the Ender 3 Pro is highly rated but would the Ender 3 Pro be good enough to print replica weapon props?

adaliah,
Have you decided what printer to go with?

As an example of printing quality for prop weapons, I modeled and printed the Alliance Pistol from the movie Serenity.
I can only speak for the printers I have experience using and for keeping the initial cost and clean up time to a minimum.
View attachment 998665
View attachment 998666
View attachment 998667
It's not a perfect print, but for an inexpensive option (in my opinion), the CR10S and ENDER 3 models are a good choice. It can't of course compete against the more expensive choices.
A little sanding and a good paint job, this example will turn out to be a nice cosplay prop. :)
Another example of many, many prints....
View attachment 998668
Good luck on your choices and Happy printing :)
On a side note, be aware however that the Creality CR10S and the ENDER-3 are both open frame printers (not enclosed) and
will require some assembly, proper set up and tuning.
I bought my E3 as a kit and it did need to be assembled (but I knew that going in).
With proper understanding that it is only a machine and doesn't have the slightest idea what it is printing,
it is up to the user to make the best adjustments and measurements to help the printer do the best it can.

Both will require a fair amount of "user interface" and intervention and are not "plug and play" machines and they will print PLA fairly well.
That pstol looks great, let meknow if you ever print another one for sale. Thanks

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back