need help or suggestions on hinges for wings

Cosmic Ash

so i have a dilemma.

what i want to achieve is to be able to have wings attached to a harnessed backplate that have the ability to be spread wide for front view shots and come in so that theyd be at a 45 degreeish angle in relation to my back.

what i want is a hinge that can adjust tension so that when i walk they dont just flap around they stay in place unless x amount of pressure is used to push and place them.

is this case of wanting the perfect something that doesnt exist or is there a hinge system out there that would work?

Kitchen door hinges (from ikea or somewhere) have a 'pop' close function where they kind of snap into place... but that's at a 90 degree angle so maybe you could put something into the recess area of the hinge to stop it closing all the way :confused

harmony.jpg

I used them for the wings in my buzz lightyear costume but unfortunately put them up side down so they pop in the wrong direction - it looks like they unfold when I'm excited :facepalm

im afraid the weight of the wings if i were to lean forward or back may over power the hinges and pop them close if their the hinges style im thinking of. do you have pictures or video how you have them set up on your buzz?

@skinny
not quite what i was going for, those wings look to be completely free flowing and kept close by bungees to her elbows

I'll take a couple of pics for you and post them up. The interior of the 'backpack' is made out of the tray from inside a toolbox that I just cut in half and folded to get the shape I was looking for. Then I just carved two circular holes into side and screwed each hinge in place - I just realised that this doesn't make any sense without the photos for reference :facepalm

the costume is in my loft at the moment so I'll take a couple of shots when I go up there in the next few days - I'll show you how the wings are detachable too

Inside the 'socket' of the hinge is where the 'pop' affect happens, and even though the wings are pretty heavy they still stay in open/closed locked positions.

In order to screw the hinges to the curve of the backpack and wings I had to saw a groove into each screw attachment a 'fold' them in to place (about a 30 degree angle)

You can see that I've reversed the part that's attached to the wing so that it sits on the 'back' of the hinge arm, but as you screw it on (and it has a small square 'hook' to keep it in place) that doesn't make any difference to it's functionality.

I can have a look around for a photo of the wings open so you can see that too.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for... but the hinges are pretty sturdy as they're designed for swinging wooden doors around... you could probably put something underneath the hinge to stop it from closing further than 45 degrees...

thank you roblightyeah! thats actually a huge help!
could you post some pictures further back so i can see how they are in relation of the wings?

525953_3031632321037_1569762158_32262804_533249467_n.jpg

this is what i have so far at the far right is where i want to hinge in to the harness

@widescreen im browsing that site out now it, theres a mertic crap ton of good stuff on here thanks!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back