Need help molding a hand for an Argonath

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sharken Beard, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Sharken Beard

Sharken Beard Active Member

Hello everyone! I am getting ready to build and carve 2 7' Argonath statues for my theater room I'm building. I am using polystyrene then coating it in a hardener to preserve it. My dilemma is I've never been good at hands. Since these will be 7' tall I thought maybe I could just mold my own hand (I'm 6' 6" so close) and cast it in something light weight to attach to the arm of the statue. I've tried to figure this out but it's a bit confusing. Does anyone have any ideas or experience in this? Thanks!

2. division 6

division 6 Master Member

How about rigid foam.
    link

3. Sharken Beard

Yeah that looks about right! Any ideas how I could go about it? I've zero experience with something like this! Thanks

4. Stivie

Stivie Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very cool project, make sure to post some photos along the way.

As for the hands, Tested on Youtube had a video awhile ago that went over this in pretty good detail.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  5. Sharken Beard

Just finished the video, that was awesome! I started researching alginate, it appears to not work well with expanding foam due to the pliable nature of it. I could try and pour something other then foam into it? But the statue will be foam and I need to make sure the hand is light weight. Unless I'm missing something? Thanks again for all the help! I'll be sure to post some pictures along the way!