Need Help making Prop, Can it be bought or Scratch built?

seven

Sr Member
This is the Wheel from the Sled in Nightmare Before Christmas. Looking at it I cannot help to think that it is some kind of hamptser wheel or filter.

Can anyone Identify it as a store bought item (that may or may not be modifyied) or is it completly studio made?

(photos brought to you by berta55 of screen used prop)

Last edited:
while it resembles a hamster wheel it is not, never seen one like that, as I use to work in the pet industry. It does like a filter piece put in a drum of sorts, but with all those little screws, either added in or the whole piece is handmade from the studio.

The screws where probably added, as well as the plexi. It really does resemble a hamster wheel; however the wood-like frame is plastic.

A toy drum is an interesting thought.

I am starting to think it is a toy. If you remove the penguin, maybe another character may have been there. Like a circus toy. The middle bar that the penguin is holding just sticks at me that I have seen it before on a toy.

I'd wager that it was completely custom built... pretty easily...

Start with a cut piece of plex and add the metal "straps" and bolts, and then the screen and some paint...

You may just want to take some screencaps and compare them to what you have
and see the differences if there are any...

The plexi is only on the inside while the mesh is on the out. I am going to print this out on my ploter at work so I can get a full scale pattern for it. I will try to make one out of scratch if a "found" item cannot be, well found.

I have started to make my studio scale sled for this years christmas display. I have used some reference photos to get its shape and size, cut it out in craft wood, and glued it together.

the camera was used to help keep the two sides straight as it glued.

I am still looking for something to use for the wheel.

Last edited:
If that wheel is a modified something, then it was fan made. The folks in the fabrication shop of that film had amazing talent and could make practically anything from scratch. Sally's scissors actually cut paper. I don't remember the wheel from the film too well, so I'm not sure about the details, but the large, visible screw-heads strike me as out of place.

Another thing I am having some trouble with is the Quarter Round trim that sits at the back of the sled.

It appears to be 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" quarter round. Any thoughts?

However I have not found any quarter round that was over 1" in height or width. My other thought was maybe I could find a picture frame with those dimentions.

I am thinking that I am going to go to a plastic store and pick up two 7 inch Diameter rings for the wheel. More pictures to follow.

This is the sled that I am trying to make

(image brought to you by Nightmarebeforechristmas.net)

Last edited:
Here is the progress so far for this prop. I hope to get it done by Christmas. I was unable to find any quarter round the correct size, so I had to use a square block of wood and cut the curve into it then sand it smooth.

Last edited:
I started to sculpt the elfs that go on the sled. I have one done, just need to mold him and cast it to make the second elf to be identical. I will cast all three elfs in resin to make them more durable then the sculpty clay.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back