need help making fingerprint scanner

weno

does anyone no what i can use to make a finger print scanner.. i just wanna make a prop that i can have a part where i put my finger and a light will "scan" my finger go down and then back up..... i cant fit a computer scanner in this....its handheld... any thoughts? i need something that "scans" not just lights up...

You could do multi lines of small led`s and have them run on a chase up and down the screen, could even do muticolour led`s for extra creative looks. The key would be what you use as a cover plate, white acrylic would even out the light.

You could do multi lines of small led`s and have them run on a chase up and down the screen, could even do muticolour led`s for extra creative looks. The key would be what you use as a cover plate, white acrylic would even out the light.

leds dont look nice i have tried it.. i was thinking a bright light and a metal piece with a slit in it moves with a motor but i was hoping to find something that has this that i can salvage out of a item..

Cool, maybe a belt style arrangment with a slit could be an option, will try and think of an item that has that motor style feature.

I'd have said a handheld scanner for a computer but sadly you have to move them over the pages by hand. You'd have to have a small motor that moves it one way and then kicks into reverse when it gets to the other end. Try these places:
Electronic Goldmine - Electronic Components, Parts, Test Equipment, Kits, Goldmine.
All Electronics | Electronic and Electro-Mechanical Parts and Supplies at Discount Prices
They have tons of stuff that might help.

i was hoping someone has seen a external fingerprint scanner that actually "scans (moves back and forth"

Search fingerprint scanner on you tube and you will find countless examples,
theres even an app that has one, got an old iphone? build a case around it.

Search fingerprint scanner on you tube and you will find countless examples,
theres even an app that has one, got an old iphone? build a case around it.

cant use a ipod too big... this item is small... i need to find a actual mech... i cant put a big screen the biggest that can go is a ipod nano

He wants something like this:
FingerPrint For Symbian S60 5th: 5800, N97, satio, vivaz, i8910 etc - YouTube

To fit onto this:
15368620_1.jpg

without using this:
whiteLED.jpg

I have a Microsoft keyboard with a built-in fingerprint scanner. When you place your finger on the scanner, the light flashes, to let you know it's been scanned. ANd it actually works - I've had all my family members try to get in to my machine and they can't because of the scanner.

It's a couple of years old, so maybe you can find one for cheap and scavenge the scanner. The scanner window is about 2"h x 1.5"w.

-Fred

cant use a ipod too big... this item is small... i need to find a actual mech... i cant put a big screen the biggest that can go is a ipod nano

Get some footage of one in action, convert the file and transfer it to the nano
perhaps. Sounds like your gunna be very resticted in a motorised sense with the space you have available.

I have a Microsoft keyboard with a built-in fingerprint scanner. When you place your finger on the scanner, the light flashes, to let you know it's been scanned. ANd it actually works - I've had all my family members try to get in to my machine and they can't because of the scanner.

It's a couple of years old, so maybe you can find one for cheap and scavenge the scanner. The scanner window is about 2"h x 1.5"w.

-Fred

i need one that slides up and down..
fingerprint-scan-2.jpg

Get some footage of one in action, convert the file and transfer it to the nano
perhaps. Sounds like you gunna be very resticted in a motorised sense with the space you have available.

Piggy backing off of this, get one of those cheap chinese Video Mp3 players and build a case around that.

Why not take a cheap keychain laser pointer apart and mount the laser to a small low power motor (like a cheap electric toothbrush)? You would need a filter (lots of laser pointers come with them) that spreads the dot into a line. The gears on a toothbrush are already set up to do a "scan" motion. You just need to slow it down. Perhaps with the addition of the laser consuming some of the power, it will move slow enough to do a quick "scan" pass.

Why not take a cheap keychain laser pointer apart and mount the laser to a small low power motor (like a cheap electric toothbrush)? You would need a filter (lots of laser pointers come with them) that spreads the dot into a line. The gears on a toothbrush are already set up to do a "scan" motion. You just need to slow it down. Perhaps with the addition of the laser consuming some of the power, it will move slow enough to do a quick "scan" pass.

hmm if thats a good enough motor i can attach a metal plate with a slit in it to get my desired effect... toothbrushes i thought were vibrating motors so set foward and back... just a rumble motor

Piggy backing off of this, get one of those cheap chinese Video Mp3 players and build a case around that.

That's what I would have said, too. You can get keyfob sized ones from places like Dealextreme for very cheap, and I doubt you'd do it smaller. A bit of fiddling to make it press a key when you push down on it with your finger, and you're done.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back