need help making fingerprint scanner

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by weno, Mar 29, 2012.

1. weno

weno Member

does anyone no what i can use to make a finger print scanner.. i just wanna make a prop that i can have a part where i put my finger and a light will "scan" my finger go down and then back up..... i cant fit a computer scanner in this....its handheld... any thoughts? i need something that "scans" not just lights up...

2. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

You could do multi lines of small led`s and have them run on a chase up and down the screen, could even do muticolour led`s for extra creative looks. The key would be what you use as a cover plate, white acrylic would even out the light.

3. weno

weno Member

leds dont look nice i have tried it.. i was thinking a bright light and a metal piece with a slit in it moves with a motor but i was hoping to find something that has this that i can salvage out of a item..

4. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

5. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Cool, maybe a belt style arrangment with a slit could be an option, will try and think of an item that has that motor style feature.

6. weno

weno Member

i was hoping someone has seen a external fingerprint scanner that actually "scans (moves back and forth"

7. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Search fingerprint scanner on you tube and you will find countless examples,
    theres even an app that has one, got an old iphone? build a case around it.

8. weno

weno Member

cant use a ipod too big... this item is small... i need to find a actual mech... i cant put a big screen the biggest that can go is a ipod nano

9. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

10. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

11. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

I have a Microsoft keyboard with a built-in fingerprint scanner. When you place your finger on the scanner, the light flashes, to let you know it's been scanned. ANd it actually works - I've had all my family members try to get in to my machine and they can't because of the scanner.

It's a couple of years old, so maybe you can find one for cheap and scavenge the scanner. The scanner window is about 2"h x 1.5"w.

-Fred

12. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Get some footage of one in action, convert the file and transfer it to the nano
    perhaps. Sounds like your gunna be very resticted in a motorised sense with the space you have available.

13. weno

weno Member

i need one that slides up and down..
    [​IMG]

14. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Piggy backing off of this, get one of those cheap chinese Video Mp3 players and build a case around that.

15. weno

weno Member

16. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

Why not take a cheap keychain laser pointer apart and mount the laser to a small low power motor (like a cheap electric toothbrush)? You would need a filter (lots of laser pointers come with them) that spreads the dot into a line. The gears on a toothbrush are already set up to do a "scan" motion. You just need to slow it down. Perhaps with the addition of the laser consuming some of the power, it will move slow enough to do a quick "scan" pass.

17. weno

weno Member

hmm if thats a good enough motor i can attach a metal plate with a slit in it to get my desired effect... toothbrushes i thought were vibrating motors so set foward and back... just a rumble motor

18. Mr Webber

Mr Webber Sr Member

Thats exactly what i did for a VK machine project ages ago, i bet the screens etc are much better now.

19. Hfuy

Hfuy Active Member

That's what I would have said, too. You can get keyfob sized ones from places like Dealextreme for very cheap, and I doubt you'd do it smaller. A bit of fiddling to make it press a key when you push down on it with your finger, and you're done.

20. exoray

exoray Master Member

They can be made to look nice with proper installation and diffusion, but there is R&D time that can make the cost skyrocket...

As others have said a small Asian mp4 player is the easiest solution...

No endorsement or anything just an example link...

New 8GB 1.5" TFT LCD 6th gen Clip Mp3 Mp4 player Music Video 7 colors | eBay