Need help figuring out jaw armature

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by GammaGreen, May 10, 2012.

1. GammaGreen

GammaGreen Member

Hey guys and gals. Question.

I'm making an oversized costume that places the wearer's head inside the torso, and utilizes a dummy head a foot or so above. For vision we're using a pinhole camera and 8" monitor like Big Bird does. The mask will sit on a ring base and also have a post from the top of the helmet that moves the head.

The problem I'm having is with the design of the jaw rig. We'd like to have the costumer wear a light helmet with a JAW rig so that when the wearer moves his/her jaw, the jaw of the mask above also moves.

Can anyone help me visualize this? I'm coming up blank.

2. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

Run rods from a chin up up to the jaw.

3. G33k

G33k Member

A chinstrap pulling cables to lower the jaw, and a spring/elastic/rubber band system to close again may work, but I dnt think you apreciate how uncomfrtable that may get over a short period of time. Have you considered a hand mechanism (like a modified bike break) running a cable up the arm?

4. GammaGreen

GammaGreen Member

Batdemon, I realize there needs to be something on the chin, but are you saying just a straight rod up? More specifics, please.

G33k, I'm not sure where you'd place that bike lever in a suit like this. The operators hands just barely clear the elbows and the fingers are inside rings that pull on a hand armature. Suggestion?

I'd appreciate a diagram of what people are saying about the jaw.

5. G33k

G33k Member

Maybe you could gang the ring,middle, and pinkey together on one line (say to the operators middle finger, and run a line cabling the jaw to the ring/pinkey finger loops? It'd take some practice, but might be more comfortable in the long run.

6. GammaGreen

GammaGreen Member

Comfort is always a plus. ;) This won't be fun to wear at all.