need alot of help

gimmedanger888

hey guys, i wanna start making a bio mask, but i need help. I wanna make a simple one, like the P1 mask and i dont want a cardboard or paper mache mask i want it to look good. so im wonderin wat kind of materials do i need and ill have more questions later on , thanks, nate

since cardboard and pep files are out for you, you will need to sculpt, mold and cast up your own bio. everything you need to know about this process can be found in the fallowing thread:

LINK

keep in mind this is not the most cost effective way about going about it. materials alone will probably cost you the same as a blank casting that some of the members here sell. But if you are up for the challenge, go for it!

since cardboard and pep files are out for you, you will need to sculpt, mold and cast up your own bio. everything you need to know about this process can be found in the fallowing thread:

LINK

keep in mind this is not the most cost effective way about going about it. materials alone will probably cost you the same as a blank casting that some of the members here sell. But if you are up for the challenge, go for it!

back in the day (last year) me and another member (Warhead9705) used to and make halo helmets out of pep files, i just hate all of that cutting and taping/glueing thanks for the link btw, it helps alot, but i still didnt see a list of what you need (materials wise)in the link

mate you will need to decide what you want to sculpt your bio piece to take a mold out of I reckon as a beginner you should try oil based clay
try klean klay its cheap and reusable then when you finish sculpting it you will need to take a mold out of it either use silicon EXPENSIVE wise or use ultracal 30
its a plaster gypsym type then you will need resin not sure what type the bios are made of just look around and you'll find out hope the rest of the info gets you on your way
of making a sweet as bio good luck

You're going to want to use silcone for your mold, not Ultra-cal. You'll break the bio trying to remove it from a stone mold and the undercuts alone will probably not allow you to remove it at all. I'd use a Silicone such as Mold Max 30 from Smooth-On or similar. Some even might use Oomoo 25 ir 30, but it doesn't have quite the lifespan of MoldMax... but you could use it if you don't intend on lots of castings.

Any oil based clay is fine... Chavant or Kleen Klay.

Sculpt away and have fun molding.

List of what I used for that bio:
15lbs of Klean Klay.
Smooth-on Dragonskin silicone.
Plaster of paris & cheesecloth.

For actually casting it, Smooth-on smooth cast 320 resin.

It really is that simple, everything is listed if you read the thread.

The oomoo silicones will work fine, but have a tendency to tear rather easily. I have a bio mold that I made with some left over oomoo 25, and I've had to repair it about 3 times already. I wouldn't recommend the dragonskin silicone unless the bio has a LOT of undercuts and the mold will take some serious abuse just trying to get the bio out. The celtic bio is a good example of something where dragonskin is ideal. Otherwise, the mold max silicone will do just fine. Also, dragonskin has a bad reaction to chavant clay, as does rebound 25. I've heard the mold max is better, but it's worth taking into account when choosing your clay.

List of what I used for that bio:
15lbs of Klean Klay.
Smooth-on Dragonskin silicone.
Plaster of paris & cheesecloth.

For actually casting it, Smooth-on smooth cast 320 resin.

It really is that simple, everything is listed if you read the thread.

The oomoo silicones will work fine, but have a tendency to tear rather easily. I have a bio mold that I made with some left over oomoo 25, and I've had to repair it about 3 times already. I wouldn't recommend the dragonskin silicone unless the bio has a LOT of undercuts and the mold will take some serious abuse just trying to get the bio out. The celtic bio is a good example of something where dragonskin is ideal. Otherwise, the mold max silicone will do just fine. Also, dragonskin has a bad reaction to chavant clay, as does rebound 25. I've heard the mold max is better, but it's worth taking into account when choosing your clay.

could you please tell me the websites that i could get these things from? thanks, nate

Dude, I don't want to appear short tempered or anything, but if you were to google 'smooth on' and 'klean klay', literally the first results that show up are the ones you want. How much easier than the first result on google do you need? I'm happy to answer specific questions about what works better for what application, but occasionally you're going to need to put some effort in too.

Plaster of paris and cheesecloth can be found at your local hardware store.

Rick from Smooth-on here... we have a new platinum silicone we are about to launch, it is called mold basic 15, it doesn't need to be vacuumed or pressured, it has better tear strength then oomoo and should be comparable in price... I been beating it up in a million different tests and so far I am pleased with it... good resin resistance... low viscosity, much easier to pour than dragon skin... be on a look out for it...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back