need advise resolving situation with reputable props builder

juajn7fernandez

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I dont think I've been this disappointed in a really long time. I'm not going to mention the name of the company yet. All I can really say id that they are very well known for being the best at reproducing a particular helmet. Their buckets are the most expensive in the market and with those details being said, you expect a lot when you order from them.

I had been waiting for years to be in a financial spot where I could just splurge and spend this king of money for a piece of ABS. So a few months away I thought I'd finally pull the trigger. Today my package finally came to my door. You can imagine how excited I was to open this box after all this years reading the amazing reviews and seeing all the pictures online. As soon as I pulled the helmet out a bunch of things started to seem off. 1. I ordered ESB and got ANH. However the certificate that comes with the bucket clearly states it was supposed to be ESB. 2. The paint is clearly matt when this character is suposed to be gloss. They were gloss in the movie and even to this day the original helmets, after years of ware and damage still look gloss. Even the pictures online for their product look gloss, all of them. the ones on their site and the ones that clients have posted on the web. So somehow I ended up with the one matt finished bucket. WTF

I even paid extra to get a few specifications in my order. You would think my helmet would have had a bit more attention to details. Now after waiting for months to get my piece, I bet they are gonna make me send it back to them and have to wait all over again.

How do you guys think I should approach this. I hate being confrontational about this sort of things, but I paid too much for this to just sit back and take it.

PS- I'm not gonna say the name of the company but if you want to see pictures I can send them in a private message

If it wasn't what you ordered, I'd contact them and ask for them to fix that one or for a replacement. Waiting sucks, and surely the very best outcome would have been for it to be "right" the first time, but if you've really been that jazzed for years to own this helmet, waiting a little longer to get the right helmet done the right way will be worth it in the end. I'm sorry it didn't work out smoothly from the get-go, but honest mistakes happen. If they are really that reputable and the best, they will take care of this in a reasonable way.

Yeah, really the only option is to tell them you didn't get what you ordered and see how they offer to fix the problem. If they are a reputable dealer and have a good reputation, then I'm sure they will work something out with you that will leave you a satisfied customer.

I know there isnt anything else to do other than contacting them and going from there. I guess I just had to vent with people that understand where I'm coming from.

However I am concerned about the matt finish and what thats all about. This company's reputation rides on having the most accurate replica of this helmet and armor. So I'm not quite sure why they would paint this helmet with a matt finish now. Is this what they do to all of their helmets of this kind now? or was there another reason for this type of finish? Either way I hope that if they come through to fix the issue, I dont want to get a ESB but still have the matt finish.

I just got the helmet late this afternoon so I havent contacted them. So I dont want it to sound like I'm trashing the company. I at least want to hear how they intend to resolve the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

The mold is spot on, as it is made from a screen used prop and the quality of the product seems superb, I'm just surprised they would **** up the matt instead of gloss.

(I'm sure by now some of you already know who im talking about, given the information I've provided)

If I'm right about the maker, someone recently posted on another forum about their helmet looking dull too, not glossy as expected.

Hi J,

It always tough when a company doesn't deliver what they promised and even more when your expectations aren't met. With that being said...

I think in this case you should try removing all emotion. Mistakes happen and unfortunately... we're only human. Give the prop builder(s) the opportunity to resolve the issue and deliver what was promised before letting your emotions / disappointment get the best of you. If you're met with hostility or roadblock after roadblock then I would be concerned and then take things to next level.

Good luck and fingers crossed for ya! :)

Last edited:
Got in contact with them and they apparently will more than come through to solve the situation. Hopefully early next week I'll be able to show off the new bucket!

Thank you guys for responding to me little rant. I really needed to vent with people who understand this sort of madness.

So I wish I was posting a new helmet thread, as I was promised my replacement helmet was gonna be on its way to me before the end of last week. However its now been two weeks and instead they have chosen to ignore me when asking for a simple update on the situation. So much for spending top dollar for the best. Love being continuously disappointed after spending so much of my hard earned money.

Got in contact with them and they apparently will more than come through to solve the situation. Hopefully early next week I'll be able to show off the new bucket!

Thank you guys for responding to me little rant. I really needed to vent with people who understand this sort of madness.

That's Great News!

Well now that they are ignoring me I'm just gonna have to come out and say who they are and what happened, because this is just ridiculous.

I'm Talking about RS Props Masters. This whole thing started with me making a custom order for an ESB stormtrooper helmet. I wanted it to be chipped so you could see some of the HDPE color underneath. Because they dont offer the HDPE anymore, they do offer to paint the ABS kaki so I went for that. I was charged extra of course and I was ok with that. When my helmet arrived I was disappointed to find that they had sent me a ANH version with an ESB certificate of authenticity, which makes no sense. But that wasnt the only problem. The helmet is matt as hell. Why in the world would the maker of the most authentic looking trooper paint it matt. Stormtroopers where all gloss finished and if you look at all the pictures of RS helmets they all look gloss as well. Why they would use matt finishes still blows my mind.
comparison_RS_Helmet.jpgunnamed.jpg

So I emailed them these pictures and explained to them what my situation was. Surprisingly they did respond rather quick and willing to make things right. I mentioned to them how I thought it was a bit unfair that I paid more for my helmet than their "Alan Harris signature edition" was worth. That helmet comes with a stand and a signature plaque and what I got was just totally wrong even after paying top dollar.

They agreed to send me the correct helmet, ESB with the kaki underneath and chipped and to make up for the situation they would upgrade me to the Alan Harris signature edition. Cause although they say its sold out somehow they found a few of the signed plaques stored away. I was promised my helmet would be shipped to me before the end of last week, but I didnt hear from them after that email. Now that I'm just trying to get an update on my order they have chosen to ignore me. So I just opened a paypal dispute.

Just completely disappointed and not sure why its so hard for a company to at the very least give me an update to assure me that things are being taken care of. Specially after making such promises.

I always find it funny with the signature editions... the signer has never seen the bucket, but he signed a piece of aluminum you can place beside it, so that will jack up the price... it's not like he signed off on it...

If the helmet was signed inside, okay...

It's like me getting Carrie fisher to sign a little plaque, then put it under my rubies gun and say "signature edition".

The problem here isn't a signature tho.

I always find it funny with the signature editions... the signer has never seen the bucket, but he signed a piece of aluminum you can place beside it, so that will jack up the price... it's not like he signed off on it...

If the helmet was signed inside, okay...

It's like me getting Carrie fisher to sign a little plaque, then put it under my rubies gun and say "signature edition".

yeah I just don't have anything else to say on the sitch, heh. Wouldn't buy from them, especially if to cover a problem they dig out a plaque and play it off like their bumping the helmet they send next as a signature edition. No different then the bucket without a plaque.... but it's better!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back