Need advice on this laser cutter/etcher

SpaceCrawler

Someone is giving away this laser cutter (see attached image). I can't find any info on it so I'm not sure what it can do or how to run it. I was thinking about getting something like this for small projects (cutting logos out of thin metal for jewelry, etc) but, again, I am not that familiar with these machines to know if this would meet my needs. Anyone have any input?

Sean

Attachments

• Laser Cutter-Etcher.JPG
    Laser Cutter-Etcher.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Looks like a "k40" style cutter. They're pretty much the definitive cheap Chinese laser cutter. I have been thinking about getting one for a while so can pass along some of my research.

They can be pretty good but they take quite a bit of tinkering to get them running smoothly. The good news is there's a huge community of people who run these things so there's lots of information available online to help troubleshoot. The bad news is that the 40w laser is going to struggle to cut or engrave metal. Metal conducts the heat away from the cutting point too quickly. Materials you can cut include wood, leather and acrylic to name a few.

Have a google for k40, you'll find loads of stuff.

As krats has said, it's a pretty standard Chinese type lasercutter. Don't know the exact model but they're all much of a muchness. Looks like it's got its software usb dongle with it (it acts as the license for the software).
Probably 30 or 40w. Won't cut metal but it'll cut acrylic, card, leather etc no problem & will etch glass.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back