Need advice on dye colors to make a dark gray

Redwillow

Sr Member
osha-9k8.jpg
Working on an Osha costume from Game of Thrones.
I have a medium gray fabric I plan on using for the robe, but I need to dye it darker to the shade shown in the above pic. It looks like an earthy dark gray to me, with maybe a hint of brown in it.

Doing my test dying, first I tried just diluted black, but it came out with a heavy purple tone to it. So after some research I added dark green to counter the purple, in a 2 parts black to 1 part dark green bath.
It's much better, but still has a slight violet tint to it.
These are my best results so far, with the original medium gray fabric on the left which has a bit of a slate blueish color to it.

IMG_1210 copy.jpg

So what do I need to try now? I was thinking orange to counter blue in the original color? or should I try to add brown to it? or just add more green?

Not sure of your level of dye experience, so sorry if these are things you already know. What’s the content of the fabric - is it natural or a blend (makes a big difference in what dye to use)? Fabric should be pre-washed and soaked in hot water before going into the dye and a liberal amount of salt should be dissolved into the dye bath to promote better absorption and truer color.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back