Necro Post Warning

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is there any way we could get a necro post warning that could pop up whenever someone attempts to respond to a thread that's more than a few years old?? Something along the lines of, Warning, you are about to resurrect the dead; this post is older than you are!

Just thinkin'
-Rylo

Upvote 2
A recent example

I never understood the point in some weird shaming that goes on for people posting in old posts, while at the same time people get told to use the search which might bring up old posts. I'd rather older post be reused if the subject is the same. Never understood the controversy myself.
The point is community gatekeeping/hazing so that the "Veteran" craps on the "n00b" thus ensuring that only the circle-jerk clique gets to have fun on the forum.

Different boards do things differently, some want you to use existing posts and others hate seeing old posts get bumped. But at least each one is mostly consistent, the RPF is the only place I've seen where noobs are shamed no matter what they do. "Don't post a new thread, use the search to find the old thread. But don't post in it."

Id say the SEARCH is a way to find answers, info on this that are already posted.. not necessarily meaning to POST in them.

On smaller forums or the ODD topic.. bring back an old thread might not be an issue.

I'd think on this forum with the way thing changes, new info is found, new methods invented/tested..etc..

That making a NEW thread to ask your question (and maybe referencing old links) is the way to go!

Different boards do things differently, some want you to use existing posts and others hate seeing old posts get bumped. But at least each one is mostly consistent, the RPF is the only place I've seen where noobs are shamed no matter what they do. "Don't post a new thread, use the search to find the old thread. But don't post in it."

Noobs should be seen and not heard! ;)

Not sure when you guys started implementing this, but I think its a great solution.

2021-04-29-16-49-21.jpg

The funny part to me is, the photo 'Featured Images' that have been implemented, bring old stuff, that we may have missed, to our attention. :unsure:

The funny part to me is, the photo 'Featured Images' that have been implemented, bring old stuff, that we may have missed, to our attention. :unsure:
The purpose is to make members aware that the thread is old before making a post. We are looking into changing the wording of the warning as it is definetly more heavy handed that necessary.

Hmmm. I totally understand why a gentle popup warning might be useful. It might reduce the contentless "+1" posts that sometimes get added to ancient posts. But sometimes people have a legitimate reason for updating an old post with new discoveries.

What I don't get is why there's any need for threatening a user with "severe penalties". What does that accomplish?

Montagar stated that the current warning is too heavy handed and it will change.

I’ve really enjoyed the gallery thumbnails but it’s kind of tease as “necroposting” is frowned upon. For the record, I welcome any posts on my threads if folks have questions and such regardless of how old they are.

Unfortunately we are not able to change the text of the notification. We will have to contact the programmer to see what can be done about it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back