Necro Post Warning

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is there any way we could get a necro post warning that could pop up whenever someone attempts to respond to a thread that's more than a few years old?? Something along the lines of, Warning, you are about to resurrect the dead; this post is older than you are!

Just thinkin'
-Rylo

Upvote 2
Why is it a problem to revive an old post, if it's an ongoing subject? Somehow, I'd rather see an old post revived than have a new one kicked open for no good reason...

Just sayin'.

(I'm a listowner of four auto-tech mailing lists, and a moderator on a couple of high-traffic boards, if you want to know my creds. I've also worked as a sysadmin and in networking/Intenetworking, hardware side...)

Well, it's not an ongoing subject at all if it hasn't been retrieved in years...

More often than not the links as well as the pics and in some cases the OT is dead or has moved on. So, it is indeed beneficial to the new user to start a fresh thread with new blood if they have a particular interest in an otherwise deceased thread.

Necro threads never regain traction, but excavate how you please, by all means. :thumbsup

Why is it a problem to revive an old post, if it's an ongoing subject? Somehow, I'd rather see an old post revived than have a new one kicked open for no good reason...

Just sayin'.

(I'm a listowner of four auto-tech mailing lists, and a moderator on a couple of high-traffic boards, if you want to know my creds. I've also worked as a sysadmin and in networking/Intenetworking, hardware side...)

Well, it's not an ongoing subject at all if it hasn't been retrieved in years...

More often than not the links as well as the pics and in some cases the OT is dead or has moved on. So, it is indeed beneficial to the new user to start a fresh thread with new blood if they have a particular interest in an otherwise deceased thread.

Necro threads never regain traction, but excavate how you please, by all means. :thumbsup

Tell you what - I'll concede that you do have valid points (you do, after all!) and reserve my thoughts on the subject as "mixed." Fair enough? ;)

I've necro-ed a few movie threads, I'm usually a few years behind on current films. If there is already a thread discussing a movie, I hate to start a new one when the old one is already discussing the movie and (generally) has lots of interesting comments or opinions on it.
I have seen some pretty old prop threads dragged up with a question to the OP 3 or 4 years after the thread's creation, I assume it's somebody new to the forum that hasn't realized there is a date stamp on the 1st post. (I did this the 1st week I was here :$)

I often do it. When I do a search and spend 30 mins looking through threads I forget that I'm looking at search results and post :)

Someone brought up about going to see some movie cars at Stars and Cars (is that it?) in England.
Dezer Collection in Miami has owned that collection since it bought it from S&C and shut their doors. The person bumping that thread was planning a trip to see it at S&C, knowing it wont be there saved them some money.

Necro posting isnt bad if it's got decent content; Would you prefer new threads and get on to someone for not using the search function? Where do we draw the line here?

You're not obligated to read these old threads; and it does nothing to hurt you.

Many necros are by newbies who actually have found the search button but simply post a wow cool or some variation.
If one contributes to the thread, great.
If one asks if the OP ever finished their build, that's okay too.

It all depends on WHY someone is necro posting.

Many necros are by newbies who actually have found the search button but simply post a wow cool or some variation.
If one contributes to the thread, great.
If one asks if the OP ever finished their build, that's okay too.

It all depends on WHY someone is necro posting.

That makes sense - if you're adding something, by all means do! And, reading the old thread, as noted above, usually results in learning something you wouldn't have, or taking the "Wiki Walk" (which is far from limited to Wikipedia...) in new and interesting directions.

I have found some exceptions to necro posting. Possibly if the thread is a well known source for info and new info is being added. Then necro post away! It's nice to keep info well organized without spreading closely related subjects all over the forums.

I know what you mean though. Maybe a pop up banner at the top of the screen saying:

"this thread has been inactive for over ___days/years. Are you contributing to the source material or just post padding you noob?!"

I'm going to commit the sin in order to resurrect the discussion. Is there any thought to locking threads after there hasn't been any activity in them after a certain amount of time has passed? I've been on some boards where this is automatic.

So your necro posting about locking threads to prevent necro posting? If they did what you say you wouldnt be able to post in this thread....lol......We cant tell people to use the search button only to tell them dont post in any thread you find. I like necros, it revives old subjects most have forgotten about. People who find info can update threads and the less threads on any given subject the better. I hate searching for something only to find 30 different threads i have to stumble through........but then again i hate 130pg threads.

Lately I have been annoyed on social media, by people who pop in to a thread or a post where a question was presented, and they just throw out an answer to the question. They don’t even bother to read the other responses and see that the question was answered 150 times above theirs. Even worse is when they pop in and throw out the wrong answer, when the correct answer was already given above. That drives me nuts!

Everyone has their opinions I guess. I get that many people disagree with me on this, and that's cool. But, I prefer to see an old thread revived, rather than 20+ treads on the same topic. ESPECIALLY if it's a topic that is likely to get searched...as those 20 threads will clog the results. Also, just the nature of prop research, it can be fun to see the evolution of a discussion over time.

So your necro posting about locking threads to prevent necro posting? If they did what you say you wouldnt be able to post in this thread....lol....

giphy (14).gif

I'm going to commit the sin in order to resurrect the discussion. Is there any thought to locking threads after there hasn't been any activity in them after a certain amount of time has passed? I've been on some boards where this is automatic.
I'd favour the idea that a user gets a warning that he is reviving an old thread, but why locking it? I can thing of quite a lot of reasons why an old thread could be resurected. Sometimes it's better to continue a discussion in an old thread (and reuse the old information in that thread), than to start a new one about the exact same subject.

I'd favour the idea that a user gets a warning that he is reviving an old thread, but why locking it? I can thing of quite a lot of reasons why an old thread could be resurected. Sometimes it's better to continue a discussion in an old thread (and reuse the old information in that thread), than to start a new one about the exact same subject.
I guess because lately I've seen a lot of old threads resurrected, mostly by new members, where they aren't really adding to the discussion or trying to continue it. Its just people posting things like, "cool!" or something like that. Sometimes they're asking questions to people that haven't posted in years or asking someone if they sell something that hasn't been offered in quite a long time.

I dunno. It was just a suggestion. I've seen similar policies on other boards I used to frequent and it seemed to work ok.

I have a different issue.

if i post in a thread, that thread automatically dies a death.

it's a talent i've been honing over many years.

z

ten or fifteen years ago I had the last post in a half dozen threads that were more than a month old....none that I had necro’d. They just.......died.
Soon afterwards Keith Morrison interviewed me and I had to proclaim my innocence to no avail......

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back