Neca Elder Repaint -- Version 3.0

CYCLONE 06

After buying Series 4 and seeing how good their paint jobs were, the leader of the lost tribe just seemed out of place to me. So, I took it upon myself to repaint him. I used different pics, resources, etc right here on this site, as well as behind the scenes from the DVD, and pics of the suit to do the best I could with it. I also used Joe's paint work on the 1/4 Elder conversion that adegregorio made as reference (http://www.thehunter...__fromsearch__1)

Hope you guys like it. Its pretty hard to get all that detail on something that small.

Comparison before / after shot
CustomElder1.jpg

Front view
CustomElder2.jpg

Right Side view
CustomElder3.jpg

Left Side view
CustomElder4.jpg

Back view
CustomElder5.jpg

Closeup on face / torso
CustomElder6.jpg

~CYCLONE_06

honestly, i don't really like it. it might be the flash killing it, but i don't really dig the colors you used. i think there are way to many spots and colors on his head and the overall body color is just not it.

i hope you don't take it personally because that's not what i mean. that's just a critique from me, since i also do a lot of repaints :)

try and take some pictures without flash, and then we can see how does he look for real - flash really makes anything look worse than it is. and remember, it's still better than neca's paintjob for sure, so it's not a waste at all! looking forward to see more from you! i really liked the P2 you did earlier :)

I had his skin as a base yellow, white over it, which is what the suit is, if u look at it closely. But all his spots are hard to do on something that small. Then i gave some parts a darkwash, and when i did that, the yellow and white sorta mixed to a fleshy / beige color. I knew it wasn't perfect, but I thought it looked kinda close, I surely wasnt going to start over lol.

Then I matched his gloves and sandal straps to his belt, and used grey for his quills and chest hair, put some age on his necklaces, and shot him with clear coat. Thats why its so shiney... that clear coat also darkened the skin tone to the brownish color. At that point, I was kinda disappointed but then i put it up next to necas and i was happy.

Ah well. At least I tried lol.

~CYCLONE_06

Eh...I think it looks cool. From my pov he looks too...purple, but like you said "you tried".

I wouldnt even attempt it because I am no good at accurate portrayal when it comes to painting. That's why I do custom paint apps.

im really thinkin its the flash. it makes some of the colors look different, like the grey, its definately grey lol. i guess the clear coat gave it that wet dark look, and it does sorta look blueish now that u mention it.

~CYCLONE_06

Here is the Elder version 2.0 this time I darkened the spots NECA put on him, completely repainted his head to match the NECA prototype, including the skin tone, shades, bumps,teeth, gums, spots, etc. Also dark washed his armor, painted his hands and feet, added some age to his trophy necklaces, and added the tri laser on the shoulder cannon.

ElderSecondVersion1.jpg

ElderSecondVersion2.jpg

ElderSecondVersion3.jpg

ElderSecondVersion4.jpg

ElderSecondVersion5.jpg

ElderSecondVersion6.jpg

ElderSecondVersion7.jpg

~CYCLONE_06

Now that looks more like it. A lot better color and it doesn't look as "purple" as the other.

Excellent work my friend. (y)

and now you did it really good! yeah, your effort payed off, now he looks like he should! so now, how about a shot without flash? possible?

Love the bio and the paint app. Gonna have to learn to paint these figures and would love to get that custom bio and a tri laser for the elder!

Love the bio and the paint app. Gonna have to learn to paint these figures and would love to get that custom bio and a tri laser for the elder!

Thanks man. That is Gort's helmet. Just repainted it for the pic. Also, the tri laser I made out of a super small piece of circular plastic, then took drill bits and drilled slightly into the plastic, and used a straight pin dipped in red paint for the red coloring inside the holes. Actually, I can push the straight pins in there and when painted red, it looks like the laser is actually protruding out at a target.

I've been trying to figure a way to do the elders arm wraps, or sleeves that are just above his guantlets, so far all the efforts I have tried don't work or look too bulky for the figure. I also had the guantlet straps looking perfect, but they were rubber, and painting them the correct color didnt work, the rubber wouldnt take the paint.

I'd also like to figure a way to display loose helmets or secondary heads next to the figures on stands, but havent found the best way to do that either.

~CYCLONE_06

Hey bro, for the arm wraps you could buy those suede wraps found in the crafts section. I found them at walmart. I'm on my phone so I'll try to upload a pic of it.

You can also cut these with a razor to make them skinnier... Just be careful.

2012-01-08 10.26.01.jpg

Hey bro, for the arm wraps you could buy those suede wraps found in the crafts section. I found them at walmart. I'm on my phone so I'll try to upload a pic of it.

You can also cut these with a razor to make them skinnier... Just be careful.

Man we think along the same lines. I actually got some today from michaels lol. I will have to skinny them a little bit. Any idea on how to make them stay on without gluing the arm joint ?

~CYCLONE_06

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back