NCR Ranger sculpted Gas Mask and Helmet

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Red Lion, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

Greetings, I have been sculpting and keeping quiet for a long time now, I just wanted to say hello and show my sculpt and finished parts for your enjoyment.[​IMG]

here is the sculpt

[​IMG]

finished pull

[​IMG]

close to done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there it is, built the outfit in a day, still a bit rough, let me know what you guys think.

McScruffie likes this.
  2. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

this i consider a prototype, pushed out for halloween, i would like to work in the eyes to light up as well so stay tuned, i am busy at work.[​IMG]

McScruffie likes this.
  3. terryr

terryr Sr Member

What did you make the mask out of?

4. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

That looks really cool!

5. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Looks great. Do you have a fan in it to help circulate the air?

6. SemperBourne

SemperBourne Active Member

I love that mask..great job

7. ncrRanger

ncrRanger New Member

that looks so sick

8. Elleby

Elleby New Member

Nice work! I wish I had one! :D

9. TI6815

TI6815 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work! If you ever make a Run .... :) I'm in!

10. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like it. It is made of polyester resin, backed with glass, a nice tight 2 layers, no fan yet, working out the bugs, fogging is an issue, breathing not so much, it is quite easy to breath in this mask. it wraps around your head like a real gas mask over the ears, the helmet is a seprate piece. I made 1 other for a friend who has a larger head, so I threw it in the oven for about 15 min @ 180 degrees Farenheight. and took it out and flared it out to fit his skull and then cooled it with water, BAM!!! fits like a glove. so it really diddnt effect the way it fit with the helmet with the adjustment to the mask.

11. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

the mask and helmet are tapped of polyester resin and fiberglass, very thin, very strong and light weight, the range finder and camera are cast of acrylic. Antenna, filters, chin greebles-2prt plastic. it is a nice kit to put together. not hard to assemble, easy to paint, lots of room to custom out to personal taste.

12. terryr

terryr Sr Member

The paint job makes it look like actual rubber.

13. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

[​IMG]

when I sculpted it I added alot of texture, I wanted it to feel like a gas mask, it would be nice to run them of rubber, I would just have to core out the mold, I thought about it, maybe for the future...

14. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Look awesome..

15. sirnaut

sirnaut New Member

That's so sick....some nice work there

16. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

This is a job well done. I'm on my second play through of New Vegas right now, and I'm really tempted to just raid Camp Golf for this stuff....

If you ever start a run on this, let me know!

17. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I am gearing up for steel city con, I will have some kits to let go, I have to figure out a assembly manual for the kit, I think it is pretty simple to assemble but I think it would be cool to put together some thing neat and fun to read while putting the thing together. I will abide by the rules of this site, I am new here, but like i said, I am gearing up for a con, an idea for a run count would be nice.

18. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I will be at the steel city con in december, if you want to see it up close.[​IMG]

19. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

This is a very cool build, the entire outfit-- love the chest and neck protection as well as the helmet/mask. Where did you get the coat?

20. Skruffy

Skruffy Active Member

Man, that looks great! Job very well done, sir!

21. alphamale57

alphamale57 New Member

Pretty awesome

22. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

Thank you, I got the coat like 11 years ago at a thrift store, my daughter has been wearing it at cons as a waste land trader, and i got to lookin at it again and was like... uh yea.....gonna reclaim this for the ranger sweetie... She was stoked! She is the one who got on me to sculpt this thing.

23. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Definitely looks like your daughter knows what she's talking about and has great taste too. Keep up the great work (both of you)...

24. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I think I could do a fan in the filter on the side of the mask, this first one was the prototype.

[​IMG]

25. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

thank you kind sir, we will def keep it up! I am gearing up to prep for a con, gonna make a small army of these guys to trade or let go of....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

if u guys have any questions reguarding the creation process or would like to see more just PM me.

27. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

That looks cool.

28. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I am about to start preping for a run for steel city in december.... if there is any intrust from anyone, I will post run progress and assembly instructions to follow, I will be posting in the junk yard offering kits in december.....

29. ed209

ed209 Active Member

That's one bad a$$ piece of work. Definitely want to see more.

30. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I will post some build up pics raw paint no layers....... I would like to paint afew desert camo scheme and also some concept variants, cowboy hat, flak jckt, etc.......

31. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

here is a cool mod I found online,... I love this stuff because it is not beyond the relm of functionality and is fun to make.
    [​IMG]

nice combo of items....

[​IMG]

a couple of more concepts that are cool....

32. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

OK so here is a raw pull of the ranger helmet and gas mask

[​IMG]

and this is one is just based out solid, no layers...

[​IMG]

and then I found this while doing research....

[​IMG]

and then I got to thinking..... hmmmm.... I made this not too far back and could go great with this guy.....

[​IMG]

so yea..... lots to do....

33. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

Wow I would love to see the entire process. Teach me, oh Master.

34. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I would love to log the whole process and put it up for you guys, I am gearing up for a run and I have to have an assembly guide for future Rangers in my kits. so this is my first thread here, should it be a different thread all together or continue this one??? I welcome all input on this...

35. Blobfish

Blobfish Member

This looks fantastic! Really really impressive for such a short time-scale build especially.
    I know you've said fogging is a problem (which I'm praying a fan will solve in mine, heh), but is having other people hear you a problem?

36. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

ya thats funny, when I was out they said i sounded like kenny from south park, I figure i will use a microphone amp set like the storm troopers do to fix that issue...

37. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

Here are some views of the raw kit, I will assemble one step bye step.....
    [​IMG]

parts include, raw helmet, raw mask, mouth filter, side filter,oxygen intake vaulve, chin greebles (2) antenna, range finder (clear acrylic) helmet camera (clear acrylic) lock nuts, washers...

[​IMG]

Left side view.....

[​IMG]

Right side view....

[​IMG]

Top view......

I will post more as the adventure continues.......Stay Tuned!!!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  38. Nate1885

Nate1885 New Member

wow dude awesome work! clean pull too :thumbsup

39. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

where are my pics???

40. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

Gremlins!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

i will be posting pics of the growing army of kits veery soon, :)

42. Cultentacle

Cultentacle New Member

Ohhhh man. This is more badass than I can handle. I think my heart might have even stopped a couple times while viewing this thread.

43. Jessica

Jessica Well-Known Member

This whole process just goes whoosh over my head.

44. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

I will have kits for the gas mask and helmet in the junk yard soon, but I have 5 kits now ready to ship at 250.00 a piece. Raw pull kit no lenses or LED's. PM me if you have intrust. Happy New Year to all!!!!!.

45. JunkPunk

JunkPunk New Member

Hey Red Lion!

Ive been putting together one of your kits and just thought I'd throw some pics up. Ive been trying to get the lenses to glow... anyone have any tips or ideas on that?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres a pic after some of the wiring and LEDs were in. I also put a fan in the side.
    [​IMG]
    Heres a pic with the lenses in. Not glowing like i wanted... still messing with that... more pics to come!

Great kit though! I love it!

46. Red Lion

Red Lion New Member

awesome! looking good so far! any updates of your progress?

47. Loki1913

Loki1913 Member

Oh my god, thanks you for doing a play-by-play build....I would love to make something like this! And the finished product looks AMAZING!!

Between the helm, the breastplate, and that SWEET jacket, this might be the best Fallout cosplay I've seen. I hope I run into you and your daughter sometime, you guys have GREAT taste!!

48. dildilio

dildilio New Member

Are these masks available for purchase?