Nautilus 2020

^ I gotta agree here..

I looked at pic 2 & 3 first... and thought the same thing (what are those dark lines all over?)

I read the above and then looked at pic #1... (which looked great. btw)

** this is not meant to be mean!!! just distance looking feedback.. :)
1000% better than I could ever do! lol

Last edited:
^ I gotta agree here..

I looked at pic 2 & 3 first... and thought the same thing (what are those dark lines all over?)

I read the above and then looked at pic #1... (which looked great. btw)

** this is not meant to be mean!!! just distance looking feedback.. :)
1000% better than I could ever do! lol

check this out, it explains the process (y)

right after the rust mixture applied and then after 2 hours. after its wiped with a towel and shot with clear again it ought to look pretty good

Attachments

• rust1.jpeg
    rust1.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 164
  • rust2.jpeg
    rust2.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 155
  • rust3.jpeg
    rust3.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 156
  • rust4.jpeg
    rust4.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 152
  • rust5.jpeg
    rust5.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 161
this is after the loose rust has been rubbed away and then shot with a light coat of matt clear

Attachments

• rusty10.jpeg
    rusty10.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 161
  • rusty11.jpeg
    rusty11.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 173
  • rusty12.jpeg
    rusty12.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 177
  • rusty13.jpeg
    rusty13.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 160
  • rusty14.jpeg
    rusty14.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 169
  • rusty15.jpeg
    rusty15.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 167
I realize in the movie it was much more rusty in appearance BUT...that's what I did with the last one and it took away from the airbrushed lines and the rivets. I think this way much more of the detail is visible right away without having to focus up on it JMO

got the upper hull coated and started this morning and it looks as though I'll get the same result as the lower. Also stuck the iris control levers and started wiring up the four lower iris port lights. everything looks ok...so far

Attachments

• rustupr1.jpeg
    rustupr1.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 157
  • rustupr2.jpeg
    rustupr2.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 163
  • irislever1.jpeg
    irislever1.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 154
  • irislever2.jpeg
    irislever2.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 155
rubbed off the upper hull, and while it matches the lower really well, I wish it was just a little more rusty. But, it looks ok I guess. once I get the pastel brushed on and dull clear it again, it'll be good. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to look just like Martin's...right?

Attachments

• rustupr3.jpeg
    rustupr3.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 144
  • rustupr4.jpeg
    rustupr4.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 141
  • rustupr5.jpeg
    rustupr5.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 145
  • rustupr6.jpeg
    rustupr6.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 148
  • rustupr7.jpeg
    rustupr7.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 145
She’s looking just fine mate, and if you’re happy with it - that’s all that really counts !

Did you use the exact same ‘Rust’ paste (brand) and approx. mix to vinegar as seen in that video ? Asking cause, his did appear more ‘ orangy/rust riddled ‘ after rubbing it off - but that’s his interpretation, and he used clear gloss coats inbetween anyway - wanting a ‘ wet ‘ look for his diorama iirc.

Your work on the interior areas is simply stunning !

ARGHHHH!! Peeled the masking off the upper hull bubble windows and did a light test...the left dragon eye is dead! I just hope I can pull all this apart without ruining something :mad:

She’s looking just fine mate, and if you’re happy with it - that’s all that really counts !

Did you use the exact same ‘Rust’ paste (brand) and approx. mix to vinegar as seen in that video ? Asking cause, his did appear more ‘ orangy/rust riddled ‘ after rubbing it off - but that’s his interpretation, and he used clear gloss coats inbetween anyway - wanting a ‘ wet ‘ look for his diorama iirc.

Your work on the interior areas is simply stunning !
Thanks Ged, I'm happy with it. I used a bit more activator which thinned it out some, but I like the way it looks and there's no complaints from my buddy I'm building it for(y)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back