Nautilus 2020

Had to cut the wire back but I fixed to dragon eye on the port side, wheeew!! bummer though the railing right behind the wheel and dive levers broke loose but that's not worth the risk of trying to pry it apart to fix. I did the green and rusty color pastel on the scupper drains and I'm satisfied, very subtle but you can see it. Coming along nicely

Attachments

• upr1.jpeg
    upr1.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 184
  • upr2.jpeg
    upr2.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 182
  • upr3.jpeg
    upr3.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 187
  • upr4.jpeg
    upr4.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 187
  • upr5.jpeg
    upr5.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 184
  • upr6.jpeg
    upr6.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 174
  • upr7.jpeg
    upr7.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 180
  • upr9.jpeg
    upr9.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 188
  • upr10.jpeg
    upr10.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 180
I'm in the home stretch...as long as all the lights keep working lol I also think an additional resistor on the iris lights to drag down the brightness might be a good idea. Opinions?

Attachments

• irislite1.jpeg
    irislite1.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 165
  • irislite2.jpeg
    irislite2.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 160
  • irislite3.jpeg
    irislite3.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 161
  • irislite4.jpeg
    irislite4.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 173
  • irislite5.jpeg
    irislite5.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 179
  • irislite6.jpeg
    irislite6.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 161
It's hard to tell. I like them as is, especially the level in the "daytime" pics.
Although they are spotlights so they should be bright but at the same time, you don't want to blind someone trying to get a closer look in the Iris.

Can they be turned on or off separately from the interior lights?

As far as the LEDs working, I have read from different sources that a good test is leave them running for several hours or so. If any are going to fail, they supposedly tend to do so early on and this helps weed out those defective ones

this evening I fit the prop, didn't bother to mod it to spin because it doesn't need to. I fit the rudder and chopped the plastic locator pins and drilled it for brass rod. I drilled the locator holes just deep enough so it wouldn't bottom out and have a realistic gap. I ran some wire extensions to the top so there will be a place to attach a connector to the upper hull wiring in the even it ever needs to come apart for light repair or replacement. I'm going to drill and tap strategically placed holes for tiny screws to join the upper and lower hulls which will allow disassembly. I did glue the interior assembly to the lower hull though. Another week or so and this fish is finished.

Attachments

• subjan17a.jpeg
    subjan17a.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 155
  • subjan17b.jpeg
    subjan17b.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 163
  • subjan17c.jpeg
    subjan17c.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 152
  • subjan17d.jpeg
    subjan17d.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 163
  • subjan17e.jpeg
    subjan17e.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 156
So I got it buttoned up today, as usual the prop shroud struts are too F-ing short. Last time was the same, had to scratch some from evergreen, no big deal just annoying. The field of vision through the iris windows is more narrow than I thought, but I sort of expected it. All that's left is the stand and the sound module.

Attachments

• AF1.jpeg
    AF1.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 184
  • AF2.jpeg
    AF2.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 183
  • AF3.jpeg
    AF3.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 169
  • AF4.jpeg
    AF4.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 179
  • AF5.jpeg
    AF5.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 175
  • AF6.jpeg
    AF6.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 166
  • AF7.jpeg
    AF7.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 179
  • AF8.jpeg
    AF8.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 170
  • AF9.jpeg
    AF9.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 172
  • AF10.jpeg
    AF10.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 174
  • AF11.jpeg
    AF11.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 179
  • AF12.jpeg
    AF12.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 159
  • AF13.jpeg
    AF13.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 176
  • AF14.jpeg
    AF14.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 175
  • AF15.jpeg
    AF15.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 167
  • AF16.jpeg
    AF16.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 171
  • AF17.jpeg
    AF17.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 163
  • AF18.jpeg
    AF18.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 177
Thanks for the encouragement! I agree, do it up busy. Though right after this one, I'm doing the same kit for an old friend in CA who is terrified of lighting. Otherwise, he's a great modeler, really good with the air brush. I'm thinking about sending him this one and doing the one he sent for myself later.

Not sure if that’s ^ still the plan Ross , but damn - I’d find what you’ve built here , hard to let go mate !
Either way , it’s been an absolute pleasure following your superb work on this.:D

Thank you my friends! I'm quite pleased with it and yes it'll be tough tp let go of, but the next one will be easier and quicker since all the mods are fresh in my mind...and, it'll be even better. However, I won't bore you guys by threading that build LOL

the sub is essentially done, I put the stock stand together and was working out how incorporate the sound module. I found the left over "in flight" stand for the Bandai PG Falcon and there's room for it underneath. I got one of the designers from Shapeways to modify a sailor figure for Captain Nemo and was looking at placement options, then realized I had best let my buddy put it where he wants it.

Attachments

• almost1.jpeg
    almost1.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 157
  • almost2.jpeg
    almost2.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 156
  • almost3.jpeg
    almost3.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 156
Thank you my friends! Very kind words from master builders such as yourselves. I sent my buddy picks and a video. I finished the base and the connections last night. I recorded the sound bit, but it ends rather abruptly and I'm not happy with it, but I've already secured it to the bottom of the base so it'll be tricky to re-do.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back