Natty Boh Build: or How Do I Make a Foam Mascot-Style Head?

sovereigntea

Being a Baltimorean with no taste in beer a Natty Boh costume might go over well with the local con.

For those of you who have never heard of this click here

I have a suit. I also have a Richard Nixon mask so if everything goes downhill I can wear that, but for now I'll shoot for this.

Now I have a few options here:

1. Facepaint w/ fake mustache: would work but I'll miss the exaggerated giant head.
  2. 2-D paper head using foam core and a giant googly eye. Again, fairly easy.
  3. 3-D head. THIS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO

Again, I'd like the 3-D head...The question is how do I get it?

I'd ultimately love to make something like this below, in the style of a sports mascot. Is anyone familiar with working on something like this? I assume I need to use some sort of foam as a base, but I'm not sure how I would shape it and attach things to it. Help would be appreciated!

bohemians0512a.jpg

You can make the base out of EVA foam, or I'm sure get a styrofoam sphere from somewhere online.

I spent all night modeling the details on this if you want it--

sphere.JPG
http://www.4shared.com/file/VF3eAqSWce/sphere.html

You'd just have to cut out 8 of the sections in foam and glue them together. I scaled it for an 18" diameter but you could scale it up to however big you want. For the hair, I'd just put together another layer of the sphere, then cut out the hair shape and maybe use a dremel to cut the hair details. Then glue it on top. For the mustache, I'd cut out the shape and use a heat gun or blow dryer and curve it a bit.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back