National Treasure Silence Dogood Letters Font Help + Charlotte Note

Tom1971

Sr Member
I was wondering if anyone had a font for the National Treasure Silence Dogood letters. I would like to produce the letters so they look like the ones in the film but actualy contain all the Ben Franklin letters. the movie props and Magnolis versions are not complete but only parts of some letters. I would like to make all of them.

I spoke to someone at one of the main BF sites and as far as they know the actual letters have never been found. So either we go with the movie font or if someone has found one, I have searched high and low, A BF font based on his real writing.

Then we just cut and paste his real letters and change to that font.

Last edited:
Re: National Treasure Silence Doogood Letters Font Help

If you can post a photo of the screenused ones (or screenshots fro mthe movies) I can take a look on my fonts and see if I can help you out...

Here's a couple of screen grabs of the movie Silence Dogood letters if they will help.

bfd

Of course its handwritten. As far as I know a computer font can never imitate handwritten letters. It lokks like the sentences are not written complete straight, here and there are thicker lines what happens if you write with a pen (or a feather:lol)

Some letters look very similar to some fonts, but other letter not, they look like other fonts... So, its very hard to find something useful.

Try:

AdineKirnberg
Belphebe
Champagne
Champignon
Enchanted Prairie Dog
English
Exmouth
JaneAusten
Old Script
Staccato 222BT
Today

Hope that helps a little bit...

All good FREE fonts. But...if you want any chance at all of imitating the handwritten font in the prop letters you will likely have to go with a commercial font.

So, I never bought fonts... I just checked my free fonts...

So, you tell me commercial fonts can look like handwritten? :confused

So, I never bought fonts... I just checked my free fonts...

So, you tell me commercial fonts can look like handwritten? :confused

Some commercial fonts look very close to real handwriting but of course they are still fonts and it takes a little manipulation after typing the document or whatever to make it look free flowing like real handwriting.

And it's still a tedious process to find a font similar to the handwriting you are looking for.

Yeah, thats for sure. But I just want to help out with different fonts, with letters who look similar... Just what I said: Not very letter will look like the letters in the Doogood letters...

One of the Grail Diary guys over on COW found or made a font that made letters look different each time, or every couple times to look more like handwriting. It came out looking pretty good.

Wonder if something like that in the movie prop script would work.

I think he edited the text he created with his font using Adobe After Effects to vary the letters, spacing, line position etc. No reason why that wouldn't work with any font.

I think Adobe After Effects is currently $100 or more.

I think he edited the text he created with his font using Adobe After Effects to vary the letters, spacing, line position etc. No reason why that wouldn't work with any font.

I think Adobe After Effects is currently $100 or more.

Okay as soon as you buy it I'll send you the letters to fix. :lol:lol

Okay as soon as you buy it I'll send you the letters to fix. :lol:lol

In the immortal words of Clint Eastwood "That's not gonna happen..." :lol

Hopefully someone can find a font that looks similar to the writing in the letters so we can get this project rolling. I've been looking at tons of fonts but nothing seems really close so far. Might be easier to take take calligraphy lessons. :lol

Found a font I thought looked fairly close so i made a really rough sample page and posted here for comment. Obvioulsy need a few more swoops and swirls for the signature but the text in the body of the letter looks pretty good.

Based on screen caps I have, the size and spacing of the text and lines looks about right. I read somewhere the prop is 10" x 17" so that is the paper size I setup with.

I used photoshop to warp the text a little to take out some of the "font-look".

Bit of a hokey "parchment" background but I wanted to see what it looked like.

bfd

Barneyrfd - That font looks pretty good. If all else fails Jameth1971 could bust out a calligraphy pen and start scribing.

Dan

There are handwriting fonts that change their characteristics if you use the alt keys+numeric codes. For example, instead of writing "and" you can also use ALT+123 and the font inserts the full word "and" which is different from the word you created using the letters a, n, d. Similarly, if you suddenly want an inkspot you might use alt+325 or a crossed out word would be created using another set of keystrokes.

These features are typically associated with purchased fonts but the end result is striking because the font varies in characteristics - just like a traditional handwritten letter.

As an aside, its also a good thing to remember that the ink changes density as you write and this fading can be achieved using a specially created template you insert into the letters which gives the impression of fading or varying density ink. The insert you make (if you're using sepia ink for example) would grade itself from deep brown to a light brown in random areas.

Regards

MARK

@KramStaar: Is there an on-line tutorial for this font fading template you mentioned?

bfd

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of great stuff. That sample looks incredible. Kramstaar has great info as well.

Another trick is once it's printed off on your pre-aged paper you just take a little sandpaper and go at it. You can ruff edges but also do a lot with the print, fade it, age it, etc. Once I had to sand a whole page on my Grail Diary clean.

My plan is in a week or two when my bizarre life returns to normal to work on this. Although you guys are already making great progress.

My hope is to offer all the letters in a font style as close to the movie as possible. Just the text posted here for anyone who wants to download and print on their own aged paper be it the movie size or they can just use regular size. Then you can have a better prop than the film as all his S.G. letters are available and unlike the film will be complete.

Found a font I thought looked fairly close so i made a really rough sample page and posted here for comment. Obvioulsy need a few more swoops and swirls for the signature but the text in the body of the letter looks pretty good.

Based on screen caps I have, the size and spacing of the text and lines looks about right. I read somewhere the prop is 10" x 17" so that is the paper size I setup with.

I used photoshop to warp the text a little to take out some of the "font-look".

Bit of a hokey "parchment" background but I wanted to see what it looked like.

bfd

I like !!! +10

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back