National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - Share Your Props & General Discussion

Carrossea

EDIT: I edited the title because later in the discussion, members, including myself, have strayed from the original topic/question. The discussion got really interesting and good, and became more focused on props in general, including discussions regarding the original NT2 props created by Ross MacDonald. Members have also posted about the props they have here. So post anything you like regarding the NT franchise! Enjoy!

ORIGINAL POST:

Hello everyone,

So I am interested in making a replica of the Burnt Page from the Booth diary. However, I am new to making paper props (or props in general). Can anyone explain how this is done? Like the aging process, etc. A step by step description can help out. Also, does anyone have good, high quality images of the page, or know where I can find some?

Last edited:
Re: National Treasure 2 Burnt Page from Booth Diary?

Oh wait. I just found another place on the forum giving the images to the page. Does anyone know any good techniques though on how to age the page? And about what size is the page exactly? (dimension)

Does anyone know any good techniques though on how to age the page?

I think I have done something like that in elementary school, I had to draw a treasure map and makre it appear old. IIRC, I used a hairdryer to heat up the sheet and to yellow it, afterwards I took the paper and dipped it into sunflower oil.

I have in mind that it looked pretty good, but I can't remember the real outcome, though. :lol

I think I have done something like that in elementary school, I had to draw a treasure map and makre it appear old. IIRC, I used a hairdryer to heat up the sheet and to yellow it, afterwards I took the paper and dipped it into sunflower oil.

I have in mind that it looked pretty good, but I can't remember the real outcome, though. :lol

Hmm. That sounds interesting. I might try that! Thanks!

Anyone else have any techniques? I heard that coffee or tea works as well, but I don't know if those are the best process to make the page look as realistic as possible.

I've no arty talent in any way but I have aged a coupla paper props in the past. I used both tea and coffee. I would use the tea for general light aging, coffee for slightly darker areas....and actual raw coffee granules on the already wet paper for the really dark areas...obviously removing the excess granule after the effect is achieved. I also scrumpled the wet paper into a ball then I'd flatten it back out which gave it a more worn look.

As for any burnt edges.....get a lighter out and start burning! Just make sure you do it when the paper is dry! :rolleyes:lol

or you can just get the real deal and start ripping out pages!
Diary-4.jpg

Last edited:

/\ so if you have a hi res scanner and you want to make some money with a replica... :love

/\ so if you have a hi res scanner and you want to make some money with a replica... :love

hehehe, too much work, I would have to get the booklet inserts all hand bound. the paper is all special paper.. who knows where to find it, too much work invovled, although the thought did cross my mind!! it could be done..

as for the leather wallet, i wouldn't even know where to begin, I'm pretty handy but there is no way i could ever source all these materials and then construct them like this is. You have to see it and hold it in your hands then you would understand the time involved and even if someone could make em, they would cost an arm and a leg due to just the labor alone. gold embossing, stitching, diying etc.. way too much work.
i think that's why no one has yet to make a replica. The presidents book wallet is much easier to do as a few people have done replica's

...even if someone could make em, they would cost an arm and a leg due to just the labor alone. gold embossing, stitching, diying etc.. way too much work.
i think that's why no one has yet to make a replica. The presidents book wallet is much easier to do as a few people have done replica's

I have one of the replica BOS that the members did here and it is amazing work but I can ONLY imagine the complexity of the binding and leatherwork that went into the Booth diary.

I have one of the replica BOS that the members did here and it is amazing work but I can ONLY imagine the complexity of the binding and leatherwork that went into the Booth diary.

For sure. From what I was told, the lines in the red leather were all embossed one line at a time. it was a scratch build for the film.

The BofS is a really hard book to make don't get me wrong, but the cost in that for the most part is all in the inserts and news clippings inside the book and not the simple wallet itself.

do you have one of Sarednab's books? his are the best replica's I have seen as he has an actual BofS that actually made it much easier for him to recreate the books. but he wants alot of money for them.. 2k last time i checked.

I agree. The difficulty and skill in making the BOS is the inserts, binding and writing of the stories.

Yes I have Serednabs...

Dsc03536.jpg

Dsc03544.jpg

I've no arty talent in any way but I have aged a coupla paper props in the past. I used both tea and coffee. I would use the tea for general light aging, coffee for slightly darker areas....and actual raw coffee granules on the already wet paper for the really dark areas...obviously removing the excess granule after the effect is achieved. I also scrumpled the wet paper into a ball then I'd flatten it back out which gave it a more worn look.

As for any burnt edges.....get a lighter out and start burning! Just make sure you do it when the paper is dry! :rolleyes:lol

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! This helps out a lot!

or you can just get the real deal and start ripping out pages! my screen used book with extra inserts used for production extra's.
mybooth.jpg

mybooth323.jpg

Awesome, diary! So you have the actual screen-used copy? How did you get it, and how much did it cost you?? Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome that you have Sarednabs! I had wanted to get one, but unfortunately I was low on budget. Awesome collection by the way. Thanks for showing pics! :)

Hi PropsGallore,
nice to see you here ;)

Carrossea;2166163 Awesome said:
This isn't a screen used diary, this is a original production Booth Diary. It was made for the movie but not seen in the screen... it have the same value of the screen used one for me ;)

I'll receive my original production Booth Diary this week! It is a fantastic piece!
I'll show you some pics with another little "toy" that I bought! ;)

For sure. From what I was told, the lines in the red leather were all embossed one line at a time. it was a scratch build for the film.

The BofS is a really hard book to make don't get me wrong, but the cost in that for the most part is all in the inserts and news clippings inside the book and not the simple wallet itself.

do you have one of Sarednab's books? his are the best replica's I have seen as he has an actual BofS that actually made it much easier for him to recreate the books. but he wants alot of money for them.. 2k last time i checked.

Ehy PropsGallore,
we made our BoS BEFORE I received my BoS from Ross MacDonald, so, we don't have reference for it (all info was taken from web, movie, special etc...). :)

Carrossea,
thanks for the nice comments. for the whole lot, extra booklets and the booth diary etc, it set me back a few grand...

The only reason why I chose the booth diary over the BofS as i had a choice between the two, is because the booth diary actually exists. Its a real diary that's on display at fords theator that booth carried with him before and after he shot the president. looks exactly the same as the actual booth diary in real life. So for more of a historical reasons, it had more interest to me being this is a real piece of american history. actually has booth's handwriting inside, all his thoughts, notes, etc.

Last edited:

Hi PropsGallore,
nice to see you here ;)

This isn't a screen used diary, this is a original production Booth Diary. It was made for the movie but not seen in the screen... it have the same value of the screen used one for me ;)

I'll receive my original production Booth Diary this week! It is a fantastic piece!

So you are the one who are buying the Booth Diary! Was talking with Ross on how things are going with my BoS, and he has mentioned he was making a Booth diary as well. Yes, please post pics! I really wanted one, and would like to know how some pages look like on the inside to finalize my decision.

Sarednab, do you happen to know how many "production-made" copies of the Booth diary Ross made for the NT2 movie? I know he made, I think, 1 screen-used copy, and 6 production made copies of the Book of Secrets for the movie. Please confirm if I am right about this.

Carrossea,
thanks for the nice comments. for the whole lot, extra booklets and the booth diary etc, it set me back a few grand...

The only reason why I chose the booth diary over the BofS as i had a choice between the two, is because the booth diary actually exists. Its a real diary that's on display at fords theator that booth carried with him before and after he shot the president. looks exactly the same as the actual booth diary in real life. So for more of a historical reasons, it had more interest to me being this is a real piece of american history. actually has booth's handwriting inside, all his thoughts, notes, etc.

Wow, so I see you are on the other side of the coin. That is the exact thought process I went through in deciding between the BoS or Booth diary. I was considering the Booth diary for the same reason as you. However, I ended up getting the BoS because I learned that he only had 1 production-made copy left. Plus, considering that it is twice the price of the Booth diary, I can probably get the Booth diary later easier. Plus at the time, Ross stated he considered not making anymore BoS because it is too time consuming. But I think he might have changed his mind about this because I learned that there is one other person who is currently making a commitment to buying one (just not paid for it yet.)

But thanks for sharing this! It is nice to hear the other side of the story. I can almost say I had wished I got the Booth diary, because as you said, it is a REAL historical artifact.

Last edited:

Sarednab, I just noticed this. I think you might have been mistaken about the Booth Diary that you are purchasing (and for all those who are purchasing the diary from Ross) as being a "original production" Booth diary. Ross says on his illogator website:

"Your copy will be created exactly like the copies I made for the movie."
(click on above to view)

So I think yours is a replica or exact copy of the ones he made for the movie, not necessarily a "production-made" copy. Still awesome, and I totally want one, but just for clarity. :)

Last edited:

Okay,
I posted a thread a while ago a lot of people liked asking what members did for a living.

You members buying Booth Diaries and BOS from Ross must share your professions.

Hi PropsGallore,
nice to see you here ;)

Okay,
I posted a thread a while ago a lot of people liked asking what members did for a living.

You members buying Booth Diaries and BOS from Ross must share your professions.

:) What can say? I love collecting.

Ben Gates: "You don't need someone crazy. But one step short of crazy. What do you get?
Riley Poole: "Obsessed!"
Ben Gates: "Passionate."

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back