NASA S1035 (ACES) Helmet

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Teletran

ACES helmet is considerably larger than a Gemini helmet.
I know, but the basic design and some of the fittings are very similar. I doubt the size of the neck ring has changed much although the mechanics probably have because the Gemini helmet rotated on the neck ring. I was just reading some reports about how they're refitting the ACES suit design for Orion and they're basically going back to a Gemini style life support system, complete with retro 60s gas couplings. The larger helmet is actually causing some issues because the ACES suit was never designed for water landings so they had to add wire reinforcement under the helmet to prevent neck injury during splashdowns.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

lmgill

Sr Member
I'll say it again. The ACES helmet, is considerably bigger than the Gemini, it is also a different shape.
The Gemini helmet is a conformal helmet, the ACES is a non-conformal helmet.
The helmet disconnect is a different diameter as well. Gemini is 10.3" in OD and ACES is 10.8" in OD
The ACES and Gemini disconnect actually have virtually the same design. The ACES disconnect also rotates, but this rotation has been partial disabled with block on nylon screwed onto the back, which overlaps the rotating ring, acting as kind of a "brake".
Gemini helmet face opening is considerably smaller and round / oval.
They are using the same Airlock O2 fitting on Orion and the X-EMU.
Gemini helmets are the ones on the top shelf, far right. You can just see an ACES helmet, lower left (Half out of frame) on the middle shelf. (This is the same helmet posted earlier in this thread. The 2 helmets far left on the middle shelf are S-1030 replicas, which are closer to the size of the Gemini.

IMG_1817.JPG

Last edited:

edmshero

Howdy, I am the 3d artist who converted the files for machzeropoint2. As for the 3d printing company he contacted, I do not know. He would have to tell you. I do know of ShapeWays. One of the largest 3d print on demand companies out there. They are expensive for a project like the HGU-20P mentioned before, but I doubt something like that would ever be cheap.
Hello! and excellent lead, I appreciate it. I'm on the hunt for someone to print this helmet, and once I get it going I'll post progress photos and investment costs as well I suppose if that would help anyone out down the road. I'm curious to see how much this costs to print because I'm not an expert in this field. But whatever it is I feel its worth it, this helmet is very cool.

mcarlin19

Howdy, I am the 3d artist who converted the files for machzeropoint2. As for the 3d printing company he contacted, I do not know. He would have to tell you. I do know of ShapeWays. One of the largest 3d print on demand companies out there. They are expensive for a project like the HGU-20P mentioned before, but I doubt something like that would ever be cheap.
Would I be able to purchase those converted files from you?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.