Narin Alternative Hunter Wip

Yeah I guess you're right, just when stages are half complete it can look a bit mesy. Will try find some more time this weekend. Thanks for the great comments. I keep looking at other threads and thinking how great the standard of painting is. :)

Wow this is awesome! Great job bro, I love the paints and yeah it looks like it was illustraded and popped out of the drawing board.

This is a noob question since Narin stated that the figure stands 14" tall and 15" with the base does it mean the figure itself would be of the same scale with the Hot Toys Preds? I know previous pred kits from Narin is shorter but it would be a great addition to have his kits on the same height as the HT ones, I for one want to get this alternative hunter and spirit blade but cause I haven't seen photos of them alongside a ht pred figure its keeping me from getting it cause I wanted preds in my collection to be in scale. Its just me though. Hehe.

Yeah Narin's kits really are great piece of art, but I'm sticking with the hot toys scale or something around 13-15" preds. I want variety but have to be close if not the same with the HT ones.

If ever you're done with this kit, I hope you can take photos of it beside a Neca pred for height reference. If its not much of a trouble.:)

Hey xander, love your work. About to embark on a Narin sculpt myself. I can't figure out if you used an all-over primer or not.If you did, or if you've used one on other kits, which one did you use or would you recommend?

Or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Cheers

Hey Mistadobalina. Yes I undercoat (or prime) in light gray using an airbrush and a bottle of Vallejo Light Gray paint. This means brighter colours can still stay brighter whilst the crevases are darker. I find white undercoat makes the bright colours way too bright and not enough shadow for the crevasess, whilst black just doesn't work for the lighter colours unless you use foundation paints with thicker pigment - but even then they are not easy on top of black. Vallejo do a dark gray primer but it's too dark in my opinion. I also washed a green base colour despite the main colour not really being green so that it peeks through in places to make it look more gritty, real and less cartoony - a hint of slimy reptilian-ness to the pred beneath its paler main colour.

I have been so busy with my job that I haven't been able to get quality painting time in. I am going to try and do some more soon and will eventually finish the kit but I'm in no hurry - this is but one of many hobbies!

Raiyuri - of course I will take some pics when I'm done - you can count on it - I will make it fight not only NECA preds but an army of Transformers as well!

It looks really good. My only suggestion would be that you kind of smudge the edge of the colouring on the snail trail up his stomach so that it is not so uniform. It looks like you've painted a coloured stripe up his belly if that makes sense.

Hey Reyals. I've been away a while but I' finished the upper leg section last weekend. To be honest I've been distracted but I am determined to finish it soon. Not too much left to paint - just the base, ankles / feet, and spear.

I'll post pics I promise when I get somewhere. I only paint when I'm rested and I'm always tired from my 2 jobs so it's slow going.

Happy New Year,

Xander

Just so you all know im paintng again. I'm sitting here painting the feet! When they're done I'll post pics. Then just the spear/hand and base to go! I really want a glass case for it. The ones on eBay are too small. Any suggestions? (I'm in the UK).

Progress Report!!!!

Ok I've been painting. In fact Ionly have the right hand and spear left to paint. I couldn't resist posting some pics as I'm really happy with the way he's looking. Bear in mind I started this project over 15 months ago. I have had so little time where I've been rested enough to concentrate on the paintwork that it's taken me that long. Still it's been a labor of love. I will be finishing him soon and will also be adding some grass detail to the base, and a little wooden plinth. I need a case but his spear is SOOOO long it will have to be a huge case. I'm wondering if it's worth displaying with spear..ahem retracted......anyhow take a look. Just remember the hand and spear are only undercoated / base coated.

Xander

6E8359A9-4C59-48B0-BEBC-4705ED8D8412-1094-000000B6847EC7EF_zps375ec567.jpg

89B16C40-99F1-4182-9BFE-6F56D0868E45-1094-000000B680FA8A05_zpsb7159b4d.jpg
1FA7AF62-D282-4B27-ABA3-D2166AA8F5C5-1094-000000B67D7A8560_zps770058ae.jpg
55C56947-802F-4E93-ADA6-C842E5C2F21B-1094-000000B67628EA83_zps2d66001c.jpg
332DE691-4F5D-47EE-9188-5567F10934E5-1094-000000B67251EC92_zps1f9caf64.jpg
F7FA2771-A238-4D50-854F-71AB0429E65E-1094-000000B66E324833_zpseb0d1494.jpg

Ooo... I like it. I think it ha it's own uniqueness to it and shows your style. Good work sir. Can't wait to see it completely...complete.  :D

Would you mind sharing the GW colours you used on the fabric under the left should armour?

Is that just base coat and then highlights?

I'm beginning to think learning on Narin kits wasn't the great idea i've had.

Cheers.

It's a base coat of Rhinox Hide (a dark brown) and then an old GW colour Snakebite Leather dry brushed over the top. There was some brown wash used in between to bring out the depth. You will need to look up what the new equiv to Snakebite Leather is as all the paint names have changed.

I will say that Narin kits are very detailed and if you wreck one an expensive mistake BUT we all gotta start somewhere and you need to have something your passionate about to motivate you to do it. Take it really slow. Treat each piece of the kit like a solo project. This link might help you as it shows the different stages you need to build up through base coat, layers, washes and dry brushing for some GW paint combos:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/paintChart.jsp?catId=cat820002a&_requestid=247591

Also to make it easier to work on it can help to be able to pull it all apart and stick it back together. I used magnets, a Dremel and some milliput before I started painting. I got the idea of this guy here:

http://youtu.be/XfRclNKCJ-w

and he was nice enough to put it on YouTube so you should watch it. You can always scrub off any paint you don't like with warm water and a scouring pad, re-spray with undercoat and start again if you feel it's gone wrong.

Rather than boldly attacking the model with paint, understand that every texture and surface has a combination of techniques to make it look right. If you google these (I include the word Games Workshop in my search - so - painting fur games workshop - or - painting leather games workshop) you can get detailed step by step guides to which colours to lay down, in which order and with which techniques. If you do this not only does your Narin model benefit but you will remember how to do these same textures again next time. Once you get enough of these 'paint by 5 step' techniques down you start to understand them more and can free form and make your own combos as you will understand what works and what doesn't.

Lastly I will say 'water your paint, but not too much'. Thin paint looks bad but thick paint can be worse. I ended up with a few areas on the head that were too thick due to one of the new GW dry paints that don't work as well as they should.

P.p.s use Kolinsky Sable 00 and 000 brushes. Windsor and Newton make them. If you look after them they last years and will always form a point and provide accuracy.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back