Name That Location - Jurassic Park

PHArchivist

Master Member
Don't ever say I never gave you nothin', even if it's just a fun little game...

NAME THIS LOCATION

It is from one of the biggest hits of all time. Ever. Even ushered in (helped, anyway) a new era of film-making.

I spent a lot of time and some money finding and photographing this spot, so I will not be too loquacious on the details of the spot (the GPS coordinates). But he or she who guesses first may get an earful, privately...

So...

What do you think it is?

To Post 001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2715.JPG
    IMG_2715.JPG
    11.3 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Re: Name That Location

Probably not it, but I'm reminded of the valley at the beginning of For a Few Dollars More. So I'll say the deserts of Almeria.

It helped being an amature geologist. But a 5 second Google image search brought up that perfect pic.

It helped being an amature geologist. But a 5 second Google image search brought up that perfect pic.

Funny - I've searched Google and Yahoo with various key words and came up with little or nothing (did find a vid of some guy who proposed to his gal there).

What did you search under?

Found the video... That guy got his jeep all over the place.

Most of the locations from the film in Hawai'i are pretty well documented and fairly accessible. The dig site is pretty well known to be in Red Rocks Canyon State Park north of Lancaster California, but finding out WHERE in the park was a bit of a challenge. A bit...

Other than that video (which doesn't cite the specific spot in the park), I've seen nothing on-line - photographic or written - that is any more specific than simply "Red Rocks Canyon State Park". I made the trek on a past Saturday in my 2WD econo-box, found a ranger who advised NOT to take my car back into the off-road trails, due to clearance. And he didn't know exactly where the spot was...

I hiked in about 30 minutes, then back out (112 degree heat), without finding the spot.

There's something about being there, (even if not exactly "there") that hugely enhances your understanding of the/a location. So many times, I research a location, create screen-grabs, then go out there, only to return, watch the film again, and then realize I missed easy-to-reach areas or angles.

Same thing this time...

Though I did not find the precise spot, upon returning, combining my now first-hand knowledge of the general area, and taking a closer look at Google Earth compared to screen-grabs, I figured out exactly where they filmed. So, I rented a Tundra, headed back up, made it out to the site, and the rest is history.

Though I left my claw at home. And was not in an official JP truck. And i did not propose to anyone...

But I did get some cool images!

To Post 002.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you did not go out there alone!

Wish I lived out on the west coast, I would always be there for ya if you needed someone riding shotgun!

I hope you did not go out there alone!

Wish I lived out on the west coast, I would always be there for ya if you needed someone riding shotgun!

I did actually, and indeed was a bit wary...

Booted up, took water, cell (but no reception), and the smartest thing I did (when hiked in) was timed myself with 30 minutes on the clock. 30 min in and 30 min out, and I was nearly spent. Another 15-30 minutes out there would have been dicey. Car outside temp gauge was at 122 but was closer to 112.

Last edited:
I know you let somebody know where you are going that way if you are overdue they can send the calvery out! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back