N7:Armour Templates/Patterns & Prop Codex

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Narayas, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Narayas

Narayas New Member

[​IMG]

Is your home world being invaded by Reapers? Has Sovereign husked up your friends? Join the Systems Alliance Military today, and take Earth back! Due to the War effort on Earth, new recruits are required to self assemble their gear. Download your templates from the extranet here.

--Narayas

[​IMG]

Amancue, NexusFX and Canobi like this.
  2. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome Sauce!!

Thanks for putting those up!

3. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Very nice! Very detailed explanation on how to use and scale the templates. Can't wait for the rest of the pieces to be released!

4. Nobody

Nobody Well-Known Member

Cool! Thank you

5. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice! I get asked for these all the time, but all my templates were hand drawn. I'll be sure to pass along this info to other builders.

6. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

You sir are a wonderful human being. I'm not sure how to add to your rep, but +10 internets to you.

7. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Finally got around to getting the PSDs edited. I'm gonna take them to a print shop and get them printed on one big piece of paper rather than having to slice it up and fit it into normal sheets.

Definitely the best N7 templates around!

8. Gary Pahls

Gary Pahls Well-Known Member

Wow, that was very nice of you! Thank you very much, your tut is great!

9. SqueekinOrka

SqueekinOrka Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing these,they look great! :D

10. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

Curse you for putting these up!

I have so much to do and so many unfinished projects you have to go ahead and make me want to start yet another one. Why do you do this?

(seriously thanks for putting these up I love your work)

11. Ryss

Ryss New Member

The templates are working out great so far... Much easier to scale in photoshop than I feared, since I don't have a lot of photoshop experience. Thanks for the detailed instructions, and looking forward to the rest of the templates.

12. Flagwaver

Flagwaver Active Member

wow... blink, blink, blink...

Do moar!!!

These are incredible and are going to be what I use to build my friend and I some ME armor! Thank you!

13. Dzym

Dzym New Member

Thanks Narayas.

They are incredible detailed and scaling is quite easy with the red arows.

14. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thank you. Hopefully I will be able get to work on this sometime in the future.

15. ZolarKresh

ZolarKresh Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* goes off to download this * * adds it to list of future things to do *

These look great thanks for all your hard work

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  16. Dzym

Dzym New Member

Some pictures of the cut patterns :) I have been building two sets for me and a friend for some weeks but having some trouble with the patterns... Hopefully this will help us a lot! Mainly the gauntles that we have build about 5 differente types hehe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Narayas

Narayas New Member

I was not prepared for so much positive feedback, thanks guys! :D I really appreciate it. This certainly makes the time I spend on it.. well.. well spend! I would love to track all the builds that use my templates, so make sure to send me a link of your build once it hits the forums.

@Dzym
    I giggled a bit of excitement when I saw your pictures. Thanks for sharing! It's great to see that the scaling system works.

Also, as promised. I have published more templates for you to download. I have added the following templates; Biceps, Thigh, Shin, Boot.

The only piece missing is the Back Torso. I have run across a minor design flaw in my own build. The collar isn't wide enough, witch stops it from reaching all the way to the neck-guard or front-collar of the front torso. I'm thinking of extending them with a flap on each side. Since most EVA tiles will not be big enough to support the entire piece due to its size.

18. Dzym

Dzym New Member

As good as the first ones I would say. I have been working on many pieces today... Biceps, Paulders, Gauntles and Thigh and all of them are good. I only found a bit strange the biceps as I am not sure how the upper rectangular pieces works as it has too much height but I guess it was big enough to cut it afterwards isnt it?

Other than that perfect and straightforward :)

Thanks a lot!

19. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Very grateful thanks for putting this up.

20. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

Thanks for the templates. It has begun......
    [​IMG]

(Taken on Ipad 2 (crappy camera in a $900 product?))

Built using templates provided.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  21. Narayas

Narayas New Member

Good news everyone. The Back Torso templates are up, completing the entire set. You can find the templates for the Back Torso here. Enjoy, and as always keep me posted on your builds! I would love to track them.

@Steampunch; Looking very good! Can't wait to see more :)

22. Dzym

Dzym New Member

Thanks Narayas! I will probably give it a try today. Our progress is kind of slow as we are trying to learn how to work with foam but we are on it too :)

[​IMG]

23. The Death Angel

The Death Angel Active Member

Thank you for the files...but i cant find the FOAM in italian stores...
    can you advise a web store?

24. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Narayas

You sir, are a scholar and gentleman, thank you :cheers

Dzym

Those parts your working on are looking kick *ss so far, if I can get mine anywhere near as good looking, I'll be a happy man.

edit =oh yeh, I forgot I could do this. Here's a rep point (or 2?) for sharing with us all :thumbsup

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  25. Narayas

Narayas New Member

@Canobi; My pleasure!

@The Death Angel; I understand your plight, it was quite a search to find a place in the Netherlands that would sell EVA foam. The places with the highest possibility to find EVA foam are:

- major sports stores (the tiles are often used as floor padding for heavy weight and fitness)
    - baby safety departments/stores (Silly place? Why yes. Another application for the foam is making baby boxes a little bit more bearable if you move around on all fours)
    - Home improvement stores (Home to many types of tiles and foam, and they might just have it in that exact combination)
    - Amazon & Ebay (but you already knew that, shipping cost may be a turn off)

Are you a Dutchmen? Then have a look over here.

26. Sonjou

Sonjou Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

great work!

bookmarking for reference

27. infymys

infymys Sr Member

These templates are great! The codex is detailed and easy to follow. Many thanks! Chest and gauntlets are done. Helmet done with templates kindly provided by AxiomUltra. Goal is to have it all done, sealed and painted and ready to go for ACen. I got 9 days. Wish me luck!

28. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I don't know if I'm blind or dumb but I can't seem to find where the explanation for scaling is. I've never used photoshop so being totally confused and lost would be an understatement

29. infymys

infymys Sr Member

On Narayas' blog, there is a codex in PDF. Explains everything step by step.

30. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

Excuse the dodgy phone pics

[​IMG]

Just mounted a foam badge to see how it looks, getting something more professional for finished product

[​IMG]

Just need to run some tinted plastic over the LEDs so they are the same colour as EL wire

31. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

AH HA so I WAS blind and equally dumb thanks I guess i just didn't look hard enough or in the most obvious spot. :facepalm

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  32. Morgenes

Morgenes Member

Thanks for sharing this. Truly an amazing piece of work. Some quick questions as I start working on my 'homework':

When taking measurements, for the chest and back, how far under the armpits should be measured?

For the biceps, how fitted should it be? Should you flex?

For the boot measurement, which is height and which is width? Shoe on or off?

That's all I've got so far, but words cannot express how amazed I am that this resource is available for those of us wanting to cosplay Mass Effect.

Thank you again.

33. rowwlok

rowwlok New Member

Must say this a gem of a find. Thanks for sharing. I look for projects me and my son can do together and ultimately he can get something out of and this is right up our alley.

Thanks so much.

...now to search for the helmet templates mentioned earlier

34. Narayas

Narayas New Member

An update for curtain parts is coming soon, this includes a helmet to complete the entire suit. No estimate time of arrival though. So stay tuned! :)

35. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just wanted to chime in with my thanks as was for putting this together and sharing with the board! I was just about to start building this via trail and error fabrication of my own patterns so I KNOW this will save me a TON of time and hair pulling!

So, on behalf of my scalp, I thank you! :behave

Look forward to the updates, especially the helmet!!
    -B89! :D

36. LadyLoo

LadyLoo New Member

This is amazing, I do believe I've found a suit to build for Halloween!

37. abaker1381

abaker1381 Member

looking amazing. now i want to do one! lol

38. nanaki626

nanaki626 New Member

These patterns are great, and love the easy to follow instructions. But out of curiosity does anyone have any advice on the best/proper way to heat and shape the pieces after I cut them out?

Pretty new at this and would apperciate any help I can get.

39. Dzym

Dzym New Member

What I do is to use a heat gun set at 500º from a distance of around 30 cm and I measure the heat at the foam by if my hand is too hot or not :)

At the end by the temperature of my hand I know if the foam is ready or not. The first times you may melt the foam (I did it...) but it is easy to get the right amount of heat. After you heat it, you can blend it and wait for it to cold down while keeping the shape you want. Once it gets cold, it will keep the shape or almost keep the shape :)

40. Christopher

Christopher Member

Alright! Can not wait to get started on this. I've had the foam lying around for ages to do it, but havent had the pattern to work with so this will be great. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!

41. AggieChick42

AggieChick42 Active Member

Ok so maybe i'm just special or something but when I got to the blog, Blog | julianbeek, I can't seem to download a thing. :facepalm What am I doing wrong? I click the blue download link. Last night it let me print instructions off but after that? NOTHING I can't open any of the other files... it keeps saying they are in psd(?) format? I don't even know what that is.... lol what do I need to do to be able to open these files up?

42. Zlosk

Zlosk New Member

The codex is a PDF, but the A4 and Letter platforms are PSD's (PhotoShop files). I have PhotoShop at work, so I have never needed to research other viewers for PSD files.

43. AggieChick42

Is photoshop something you need to buy or can you get a few trial or something?

44. infymys

infymys Sr Member

I believe Narayas mentioned somewhere that Photoshop CS4 or higher was required to open the files. I wouldn't advise buying it unless you're heavily into image editing since CS5 new would cost close to 200 USD and the latest version of CS6 is 600 USD.
    There are trial versions out there than you can get but a good (and free) alternative is GIMP or Paint.NET. You would have to download a plugin for Paint to open the PSD files. Last I knew of GIMP, you shouldn't need a plugin. I have no experience with these programs since I have CS5 so hopefully you can find them useful if you choose to go that route.

45. Christopher

Christopher Member

I've been using gimp. It doesnt have a few key features such as selecting multiple layers, and from what I can see because of this I can't rasterize when it tells me to. I don't know if this is an issue. But in general gimp isnt lovely to use for this. And paint.net wasn't great either.

It would be good if there was a second tier program between gimp and photoshop. I'd be happy to pay for something, just not the $300AUS that adobe wants.

46. AggieChick42

Oh wow.... yeah lol i'm not shelling out THAT kind of money! Thanks for looking out!

47. AggieChick42

For those of us who do NOT have photoshop.... is there a Fem-Shep armor template that we could print out piece by piece for the top? I have found the Male-Shep armor pieces like this but never for Fem-Shep... :(

48. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I have my templates somewhere.

49. AggieChick42

:D I would sure appreciate that. I'm just waiting on the rest of my supplies so I can start.. hopefully tuesday but I would really like to get this stuff drawn out ASAP

50. scheffnd

scheffnd New Member

thanks for the templates, i just have one question: is the scale in the templates the original scale like in the game, because my problem is that when i adjust the black bars to triangles with my measurements the proportions don't look OK, so is it better to adjust the whole piece only to the height bar?
    thanks from germany