N7: Armour build

I found a bunch of foam sheets on amazon.com. Most of them on there are 3/8" thick. There are also some that are 1/2", if you prefer, and they are decently priced too. Just type in "EVA foam mat"

Hi, thanks for the templates. I'm having a problem with the scaling part. I opened in PS, but I cant get the black bars to move up or down, could you get more detailed info on this? Thanks, Diane

Hi, thanks for the templates. I'm having a problem with the scaling part. I opened in PS, but I cant get the black bars to move up or down, could you get more detailed info on this? Thanks, Diane

Highlight the layer that says width or height bar. Should be on the right side if you're on a default interface. Move the bars according to Narayas' codex. Edit. Transform. Scale.

How's the progress?

Would love to see pictures of how you're doing the strapping, if you've gotten that far.

Thanks for the info, got everything scaled but now having problem with "draging to the N7 platform". How do I do that? Cheers, Diane

You should have both the armor piece and N7 Platform open in Photoshop. After everything is rasterized and unlinked, highlight the layer you want to move and simply drag and drop it into the platform. Some pieces are bigger than the platform so you have to print out parts of the piece and line them up after you cut them.

Ok... I am a bit new to the whole cutting out templates and making things out of them deal...

What is the difference between the red and the black lines on the template?

Red lines mostly signify where to add the detail, like grooves and places where the armour is supposed to be smooth. Or where to paint the red & white stripes on the side of the arm and shoulder. They help you determine where those details come to place.

Also a templates/patterns for the helmet are in the making, thanks to AxoimUltra for providing awesome 3D models for me to work with.

Last edited:
I finished the boot/shin unfold last night. I also have a pattern for the faceplate of the Breather N7 helmet so people can upgrade the open face one if they want. You would only have to cut out or remove two pieces for it to fit.

Narayas, I'll send those to you this afternoon if you want? I'm pretty sure that would be the entire set.

I'm working on the chest template at the moment, progress is a bit slow with RL getting in the way :p But by all means send them my way. I'm quite curious how the boot 'works'.

Hi, Just got the foam from Harbor Frieght. I need to pick up hot glue and hit up all the thrift shops for some straps and buckles.
I'm searching the web for lots of pictures also. I'll be posting my progress soon, can't wait!:lol

I am sooooo gonna do this. Thanks very much for posting this up. I've downloaded the files and will scale them up tonight and get a friend to print them onto a large format printer (as was mentioned earlier here).

Last edited:
Complements to AxiomUltra's Pepakura file for a foam helmet, here is my progress. This is my first ever build attempt on any costume... so if I can do it, anyone can. Taking quite a while to do with all the details. I estimate I have close to 24hrs worth of work just in the helmet alone so far, but it is worth it. Almost finished with the top part, so anticipate completing the whole thing this week sometime... depending on how much of my gaming time I sacrifice!! (See attachments for pics)

Last edited:
Very nice work Vincena. You have done a great job on the parts that I have been afraid of doing (the ear, the back and the piece underneath the Van Dyke). I would love to compare notes with you some time. If you combine the work we've done I think we've managed to put together one full helmet :)

I don't want to hijack Axiom's thread, but here's my day 1-6 progress pics (about 14 hours or so of work in this).

Wow that is awesome Morgenes! what did you cut your foam with?

Thanks! I am really happy with how this foam build is coming together.

I use a hot knife to cut the foam, the cuts are then sanded with my Dremel's drum sander attachment. Thin detail lines were scoredby the hot knife, and the deeper lines that were set with 3mm foam were channeled outwith a grindstone wheel (seeEvilFX's blogpost about tools to see pics of these dremel bits)

Nice helmet progress pics guys!

Neal, I replied to your message about those ear pucks. I'll be sending you something this afternoon :)

Here's the end of the road for my first build. Now that I have the back on, I realize it's too tight to comfortably wear, and I certainly won't be getting any electronics into it. So I'll be starting over tomorrow night with new templates sized up a bit. I'm not sure exactly how to decide how much more space I need, but I think I'm going to try increasing the height by about a centimeter and see if that helps enough overall.

See pics for 'final' build (still missing a couple of details, then seal/paint to be fully finished).

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back