N7: Armour build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Narayas, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Narayas

Narayas New Member

Hello,
    What silliness would it be if didn't have a build of my own N7 templates. As my build progresses I will post snapshots over here. Want to build an N7 armour yourself too? Go to my blog and download all you need to start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got both arms done now, including the outer shoulder pauldrons, I was not pleased with how the inner pauldrons turned out. So I R redoing them.

2. FudgeMando

FudgeMando Active Member

:confusedWhat do you cut the foam with?

3. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

Hey nice work. I have started this build myself I am using your templates as a guide and I am also using a few techniques from this other builder I found online while researching.

http://bioweapons.wordpress.com/2010/06/24/mass-effect-2-–-n7-armor-build-–-tool-qa-1/

Some of his ideas have been helpful with detailing and helped to minimize the amount of fiddly cutting and glueing required. Check out a few updates of his build for ideas.

This was also helpful in learning his techniques...

Skyrim Daedric Sword Test Build « Evil FX / BioWeapons.com

( don't know who the guy is exactly & I am in no way claiming his work as my own)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Narayas

Narayas New Member

A steady hand, a sharp knife and multiple strokes. Never cut it in one stroke. Also a quick heat-gun blast does miracles.

5. EvilFX

EvilFX Member

Looking good so far.
    I hear that Evil FX guy is a total *. I also have detailed build threads here on the RPF forums somewhere of my N7 and Skyrim stuff which is probably easier to read through/follow than hunting down my individual blog postings if your looking for tips.

Stonebro likes this.
  6. Steampunch

Steampunch New Member

Touche sir...figured you would be on here somewhere..nice work btw

7. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

Your blog is really cool Narayas, or Julian, does your armour template have a back piece?

8. bdohazelnuts

bdohazelnuts New Member

Julian,
    I downloaded all of the templates and the codex, and am extremely happy with the level of detail as well as simplicity of scaling the templates.

I do have a couple of questions.

Do you have a back torso template that you can add to the rest?

And, how do you break down pieces that require multiple sheets using the helpful platform you have provided?

9. Dzym

Dzym New Member

I am using as well Narayas templates.

In order to break down to multiple pieces, after I copy the layer in question to the A4 Platform, if it does not fit in one page, you need to print it multiple times moving it slightly so that you print all the areas and then join them by invisible tape... I have found there are some pieces like the Shin or the Tight that I had to print them in 5 sheets but when you join them it is ok.

By the way, which glove are you using Narayas? It looks nice.

10. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Hey Julian, any ETA on the remaining files? My girlfriend is itching to finish hers.

11. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks kick a** so far! I'm going to have to have a crack at this to go with my N7 themed nerf mod. Thanks for sharing your files :cheers

12. Narayas

Narayas New Member

Soon ill post the Back Torso, haven't got around to modifying the flaw in the collar. Very soon!

13. vincena

vincena New Member

Already started my M8 thanks to EvilFX's blog... thank you sir!! Excited to have Narayas templates now. Anyone going to do the helmet? Having a hard time trying to figure out how to shape 1/2" EVA into rounded top of helmet, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

14. Canobi

Yodajammies is making the N7 breather (it's a doosie so far)

http://www.therpf.com/f9/mass-effect-3-n7-breather-v2-141987/index2.html#post2203257

and JhonsonArms does a wicked N7 inspired nerf blaster mod

http://www.therpf.com/f9/nerf-gun-props-yes-106425/

Not sure I can help on EVA front, but check out volpin's daft punk helmet build for some great helmet build tips :thumbsup

15. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

I don't want to hijack this thread, Narayas has done an amazing job with his templates and done a huge service to the community. Thank you Narayas!

The helmet can be done with 1/2" and 1/4" EVA foam. I was able to modify the N7 Breather helm into your standard open faced version and construct it with those materials. The total build time was a little over 5 hours so it wasn't too bad.

The nice part about constructing it out of foam besides having it match the material of the rest of your suit is that the helmet by design wraps around the cranial part of your head so having that extra give to slide it on and off comfortably works in your favor.

Is it as nice as having a solid casting to work with? Probably not. But it only cost me $4 worth of materials to build so you be the judge..

[​IMG][​IMG]

I should also note that the helmet has not been treated with a heat gun, at all. I stopped using heat to form the foam since it likes to break up the seams and cause other headaches. So instead to get the foam to arch and curve the direction I want I started using bits of 3mm white sintra to guide the foam. It attaches very well and makes the part hold it's shape.

Now I just have to work up a visor

Sorry Narayas! I just wanted to show that EVA foam helmets are doable. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  16. Berserk

Berserk Well-Known Member

did you have templates for the helmet? It looks awesome!!

17. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

Sure, go to the link in my sig and send me a message to remind me when I get back later so I can send it to you.

I apologize, but I haven't put it up for download yet. I was planning on batching everything I've worked on together with references and posting it at a later date.

18. Narayas

Narayas New Member

@AxiomUltra; Wow, your build looks really great! Specially the helmet is a marvel. I would love to have a look at those helmet templates some time. On top of that the shape of the collar is amazing!

19. Canobi

Dito on that :thumbsup

Narayas, any updates on your build yet? I have been looking for similar materials but only found really thin stuff so far, where did you get the foam sheets from?

20. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

Thanks! I just may finish it someday :lol

And no problem on the templates - if you think it will help you with your own build at all just send me a message and I'll get you whatever you need. :thumbsup

21. bdohazelnuts

bdohazelnuts New Member

I found a bunch of foam sheets on amazon.com. Most of them on there are 3/8" thick. There are also some that are 1/2", if you prefer, and they are decently priced too. Just type in "EVA foam mat"

22. Skullqueen

Skullqueen New Member

Hi, thanks for the templates. I'm having a problem with the scaling part. I opened in PS, but I cant get the black bars to move up or down, could you get more detailed info on this? Thanks, Diane

23. infymys

infymys Sr Member

Highlight the layer that says width or height bar. Should be on the right side if you're on a default interface. Move the bars according to Narayas' codex. Edit. Transform. Scale.

24. Skullqueen

Skullqueen New Member

Thanks for the info, got everything scaled but now having problem with "draging to the N7 platform". How do I do that? Cheers, Diane

25. Ryss

Ryss New Member

How's the progress?

Would love to see pictures of how you're doing the strapping, if you've gotten that far.

26. infymys

infymys Sr Member

You should have both the armor piece and N7 Platform open in Photoshop. After everything is rasterized and unlinked, highlight the layer you want to move and simply drag and drop it into the platform. Some pieces are bigger than the platform so you have to print out parts of the piece and line them up after you cut them.

27. TheGallery

TheGallery New Member

This looks super unbelievably amazing. If I ever attempt my own build, this will be it.

28. Skullqueen

Skullqueen New Member

Hi, How do you open both together?

P.S. I'm from Oak Park, Il:lol

29. bdohazelnuts

bdohazelnuts New Member

Ok... I am a bit new to the whole cutting out templates and making things out of them deal...

What is the difference between the red and the black lines on the template?

30. Narayas

Narayas New Member

Red lines mostly signify where to add the detail, like grooves and places where the armour is supposed to be smooth. Or where to paint the red & white stripes on the side of the arm and shoulder. They help you determine where those details come to place.

Also a templates/patterns for the helmet are in the making, thanks to AxoimUltra for providing awesome 3D models for me to work with.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  31. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

I finished the boot/shin unfold last night. I also have a pattern for the faceplate of the Breather N7 helmet so people can upgrade the open face one if they want. You would only have to cut out or remove two pieces for it to fit.

Narayas, I'll send those to you this afternoon if you want? I'm pretty sure that would be the entire set.

32. Narayas

Narayas New Member

I'm working on the chest template at the moment, progress is a bit slow with RL getting in the way :p But by all means send them my way. I'm quite curious how the boot 'works'.

33. Skullqueen

Skullqueen New Member

Hi, Just got the foam from Harbor Frieght. I need to pick up hot glue and hit up all the thrift shops for some straps and buckles.
    I'm searching the web for lots of pictures also. I'll be posting my progress soon, can't wait!:lol

34. brulafu

brulafu Active Member

I am sooooo gonna do this. Thanks very much for posting this up. I've downloaded the files and will scale them up tonight and get a friend to print them onto a large format printer (as was mentioned earlier here).

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  35. vincena

vincena New Member

Complements to AxiomUltra's Pepakura file for a foam helmet, here is my progress. This is my first ever build attempt on any costume... so if I can do it, anyone can. Taking quite a while to do with all the details. I estimate I have close to 24hrs worth of work just in the helmet alone so far, but it is worth it. Almost finished with the top part, so anticipate completing the whole thing this week sometime... depending on how much of my gaming time I sacrifice!! (See attachments for pics)

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  36. Morgenes

Morgenes Member

Very nice work Vincena. You have done a great job on the parts that I have been afraid of doing (the ear, the back and the piece underneath the Van *). I would love to compare notes with you some time. If you combine the work we've done I think we've managed to put together one full helmet :)

I don't want to hijack Axiom's thread, but here's my day 1-6 progress pics (about 14 hours or so of work in this).

37. AceHighway

AceHighway New Member

Wow that is awesome Morgenes! what did you cut your foam with?

38. Morgenes

Morgenes Member

Thanks! I am really happy with how this foam build is coming together.

I use a hot knife to cut the foam, the cuts are then sanded with my Dremel's drum sander attachment. Thin detail lines were scoredby the hot knife, and the deeper lines that were set with 3mm foam were channeled outwith a grindstone wheel (seeEvilFX's blogpost about tools to see pics of these dremel bits)

39. AxiomUltra

AxiomUltra Active Member

Nice helmet progress pics guys!

Neal, I replied to your message about those ear pucks. I'll be sending you something this afternoon :)

40. Morgenes

Morgenes Member

Here's the end of the road for my first build. Now that I have the back on, I realize it's too tight to comfortably wear, and I certainly won't be getting any electronics into it. So I'll be starting over tomorrow night with new templates sized up a bit. I'm not sure exactly how to decide how much more space I need, but I think I'm going to try increasing the height by about a centimeter and see if that helps enough overall.

See pics for 'final' build (still missing a couple of details, then seal/paint to be fully finished).

41. vincena

vincena New Member

Morgenes... Aside from the size your helmet really looks great! Maybe you can find someone with a smaller head who would want to take it off your hands? Looking forward to seeing your new build progress. Hope to be doing EL wire on mine by next weekend.

42. vincena

vincena New Member

Well the top is on and the electronics added. I do wish I had saved a bit more room in the back for the battery pack, but the weight of it pulls the front of the helmet up... so being a snug fit against my chin helps hold the helmet in place. All that is left to do is add the "N7" logos on the sides and figure out if I'm going to add a visor to the front. I bought the materials to do it... just not sure if it will come out the way I want it to. May also replace the black side pieces so they come a bit farther forward.

43. Morgenes

Morgenes Member

Very nice. Love the glow. My progress was not very exciting. I have templates resized and cut and foam cut. I ended up scaling up 40mm in height. I figured I could always add foam to pad the inside if needed. I'd post the pic, but it's just rough foam on a cutting mat. This time I will be detailing before assembly. Hopefully that will help and allow me to replace easily if I mess up details, and not have to remove the piece before starting over on it. I was just so excited to put it together that I couldn't wait to deal with things like details.

44. GCBrokawV2

GCBrokawV2 New Member

Im new to the whole the foam building thing and i dont ever use photo shop. If someone can help me with the scaling of the armor parts that would be amazing. help a noob out.

45. Deelite

Deelite Active Member

You can use GIMP (free program, similar to photoshop) naryas has a guide on how to scale along with his files. Please visit his site.

46. GCBrokawV2

GCBrokawV2 New Member

thx, I'll give it a try. I'm trying to avoid making the sheets 8.5 x 11. I work in a print shop so I can just print them all on one sheet. saves time.

47. Amancue

Amancue New Member

Hey Narayas I love the templates, though I do have a suggestion
    to simplify the page layout, you can save what ever section to a
    separate file, and if you save it as a PDF then open it w/ Adobe Reader
    under the print options it gives you the option to print Banner, so you can take the whole say Upper Chest as one file tell it to print banner and it'll span it across multiple sheets for you automatically and give you registration marks to join them. and best of all this is from the Free Acrobat Reader, and page format A4/Letter doesnt matter because it'll automatically conform to whatever your printer is set for, makes it a lot less work separating and printing the parts

48. JPH

JPH Sr Member

Grawesomeriffic!

49. TheRickoning

TheRickoning New Member

Hey, I am a little new to the forum. I want to build a helmet but the link to the helmet patters on the AxionmUltra's tells me the file is no longer available. I was hoping I could get the helmet files from someone on here.

And great job on the armor. I hope mine turns out as well.

50. vincena

vincena New Member

I completed the project... It has been utilized most recently for charity fundraisers and visiting the local children's hospital. For photos go to the thread I created "Mass Effect FemShep Build"

Attached Files: