N00b from 405th- Help starting a Bioshock costume?

Rahksi

Hey guys, so I'd like to start my second build, planning on a Big Daddy or Subject Delta. (leaning more towards Delta) I know others have done very impressive builds, but I don't know of any pep files, or ways to go about this myself

My previous (and first) build was completely EVA foam, so I don't have experience in anything else. I'm pretty darn sure it would not be great to attempt this build in foam, not only because of aesthetics, but I don't feel it could capture the might of the huge characters as well as a hard substance would.

Here is my first build, still a newbie at this costume making thing, but I really enjoy it and I'm looking to improve (I'm the ODST on the right)
20119_10203633215583519_8707426623099500885_n.jpg

Anyways guys, I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Edit: I'm also concerned about the overall mobility and comfort of the suit (fans, weight, etc.). What are some ways to keep these in mind and implement during the build?

Last edited:
How much would you like peped? Helmet, backpack,belt,drill.

You know, that's where I'm looking for advice. I used pep on most of my last project, but converted to foam. I assume when you say peped, resin/bondo/fireglass over cardstock method? I was wondering if that would be the way to go, or if there is a more solid material anyone has used. I'm a bit afraid of the previous method because I heard it can be a bit brittle or prone to cracking. Since this is such a hefty costume I thought I might aim for something that gives that solid look and feel, that is solid. Or is pep still the best method?

As long as the resin and glass is done right the card stock should be strong enough to stand on. Also should note that when done everything should weigh less then 25 pounds.

As long as the resin and glass is done right the card stock should be strong enough to stand on. Also should note that when done everything should weigh less then 25 pounds.

Good to know, could you point me in the right direction as far as finding a pep file for his various armor, and tutorials on that method? How much is the cost and time difference compared to foam?

As for the actual pep files I would have to break down the model in the pic. The tutorials are all over place you could try the stickies on this site or if you don't want to read plenty of videos on YouTube. Cost is a bit higher then foam and it does take longer.
Basics
Card stock $ 5 about 200 pages
Resin $ 15 a quart
Bondo $ 11 32 ounces
Fiberglass Mat $ 7 8square feet

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help and the breakdown of price. I'll start familiarizing myself with the tutorials.

I couldn't find any pre-existing files that worked. Is it possible for you or someone else with designer to make one for me? If it's not too much to ask.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back