Mythbusters "consultant" dies in fall

Re: Mythbusters cast member dies is fall.

Sad what happened, My condolences to his family. The headline had me thinking one of the big 5 had died, Not Cool.

Re: Mythbusters cast member dies is fall.

Seriously, dude - change your frikkin' thread title. Consultant does NOT equal "cast member." :angry

Re: Mythbusters "consultant" dies in fall.

Happy now? Jeez... No need to get all :angry about it.
You need to edit the first post or it doesn't change the entire thread, just that post.

Sad to hear when anyone dies young, cast or consultant.

Working on skylights is very dangerous, I have know 2 people to fall while putting them in. There is a false feeling of security working on a solid roof even around a hole cut in it.

I think it's terrible, but the news outlets have been suggesting he was a 'regular' or 'cast member' that was on the show heavily. That immediately made me think it was Jamie or Tori or Kari and brought my heart to a stop for a moment. He's only been on 4 of 144 episodes, so it's more accurate to call him 'occasional guest' and saved a lot of people some grief.

Sad to hear, sorry to see a great assistant to the show pass on as well a fellow Tripoli member.

Sad news.

At the end of Monday's episode they had a little piece of text pop up with their condolences, along with the words "Honorary Caster Member" or something similar.

At the end of Monday's episode they had a little piece of text pop up with their condolences, along with the words "Honorary Caster Member" or something similar.
Just rewatched the episode with my wife (she always falls asleep before the final 15 minutes) and we noticed something like that but TiVo cut it just as it came up and we couldn't read it.

I just checked my Tivo and I still had the episode. Closing text read

In Memory of
Erik Gates
A true, honorary MythBuster
1962 - 2009

This guy.

erik-gates-mythbusters-picture.jpg

"MythBusters" .... Amateur Rocket Expert / ... (4 episodes, 2003-2005)
- Confederate Rocket (2005) TV episode .... Amateur Rocket Expert
- Bullet Proof Water, 360 Degree Swing (2005) TV episode .... Amateur Rocket Expert
- Ming Dynasty Astronaut (2004) TV episode .... Himself
- Pilot 1: Jet-Assisted Chevy/Pop Rocks and Soda (2003) TV episode .... Amateur Rocket Expert

Working on skylights is very dangerous, I have know 2 people to fall while putting them in. There is a false feeling of security working on a solid roof even around a hole cut in it.

There just was a similar incident on a movie production over here, where a construction crew member broke through the roof of an old industrial building. Why he went up there without a security harness is beyond me, but that happens over and over again. Luckily the guy did not die, but had severe injuries that still keep him in constant pain.
I recently almost stopped a film shoot in an old bell tower because of the lack of proper security measures by the location manager. Caused quite a stir-up, and if you do that, it makes you the on-set bad guy very fast because everyone wants to be home on time, not to mention the various additional cost caused by a halt. But I prefer being safe rather than sorry, and production usually is understanding once you tell them who will be held responsible for an accident.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back