Mystic Seer - Quick and Easy Build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

EmmaDark

Hi folks,

I've enjoyed viewing and reading about the amazing replica props you've created recently. I'm a filmmaker, and sometimes it calls for creating your own basic props (due to budgets, time, available resources etc.). I thought I'd post about one of my personal creative projects. Not as fancy as some of the replicas I've seen, but he was fairly quick and easy to make, if anyone wanted to make one this way.

So here's a summary of what I did to create my Mystic Seer:

My THE TWILIGHT ZONE (1960) episode “Nick of Time” MYSTIC SEER is roughly half the size of the original prop. I made him from a Nerd Block bobble head (to which I added a rhinestone from a 1980’s Barbie necklace) and a Cabanaz napkin dispenser.

I screenshot the labels from the episode, and with a bit of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator work I managed to get these to the correct perspective, and at a decent quality for print. The stars I roughly traced digitally from screenshots, printed, painted silver and sprinkled silver glitter on. The slots I roughly measured and printed, later painting silver. The cards I simply re-sized and printed from “The Homicidal Homemaker” website where some were available to use. A cut down rubber washer served at the lever handle, and the lock is simply a photograph I modified from a free images website (I would have used the actual lock if I’d had a clear screenshot).

I kept the colour scheme monochromic (some tone analysis reveals he's probably not quite how anyone has built him previously, plus I like the greys). All in all a very makeshift prop, and not entirely screen accurate, but he looks cute and I’m happy with him.

Attachments

• Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-1-Colour.jpg
    Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-1-Colour.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-2-Colour.jpg
    Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-2-Colour.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 32
  • Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-3-Colour.jpg
    Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-3-Colour.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 28
  • Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-1-BW.jpg
    Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-1-BW.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-2-BW.jpg
    Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-2-BW.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-3-BW.jpg
    Emma-Dark-Mystic-Seer-3-BW.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Gladney

Hi folks,

I've enjoyed viewing and reading about the amazing replica props you've created recently. I'm a filmmaker, and sometimes it calls for creating your own basic props (due to budgets, time, available resources etc.). I thought I'd post about one of my personal creative projects. Not as fancy as some of the replicas I've seen, but he was fairly quick and easy to make, if anyone wanted to make one this way.

So here's a summary of what I did to create my Mystic Seer:

My THE TWILIGHT ZONE (1960) episode “Nick of Time” MYSTIC SEER is roughly half the size of the original prop. I made him from a Nerd Block bobble head (to which I added a rhinestone from a 1980’s Barbie necklace) and a Cabanaz napkin dispenser.

I screenshot the labels from the episode, and with a bit of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator work I managed to get these to the correct perspective, and at a decent quality for print. The stars I roughly traced digitally from screenshots, printed, painted silver and sprinkled silver glitter on. The slots I roughly measured and printed, later painting silver. The cards I simply re-sized and printed from “The Homicidal Homemaker” website where some were available to use. A cut down rubber washer served at the lever handle, and the lock is simply a photograph I modified from a free images website (I would have used the actual lock if I’d had a clear screenshot).

I kept the colour scheme monochromic (some tone analysis reveals he's probably not quite how anyone has built him previously, plus I like the greys). All in all a very makeshift prop, and not entirely screen accurate, but he looks cute and I’m happy with him.
Very cool ! Good job !

Regards,
Gary