Mystery suit of Aliens Marine armor...

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In 1994 there was a little game called Alien Vs Predator.

And for 1994, it was good. In fact, for 1994, it was very good.
Real actors/costumes, digitized and used in the game. No full
photo realistic CG environments in those days. :D

Not as smooth as Doom which came out around that same time,
but compared to Wolfenstein 3D, it was a great game. :)
And for a fan of Cameron's Aliens, it was a godsend.

In the game there was a Marine... with a very curious suit of armor...

avpmarinesmall1.jpg

Anyone see the "tells" in this armor?

1) It's a set of "Hicks" armor...

2) The photo is reversed from the way it's supposed to be.

avpmarinesmall2.jpg

I asked Harry Harris about it, and he clued me in to the fact that it was a Terry English
replica set and not a screen used set.

OH, so you won't take my word for it, and want hard proof? :D

Here you go... :lol

avp_TE_repro1.jpg

avp_TE_repro2_1.jpg

avp_TE_repro3.jpg

One little mystery solved. Enjoy.

Thanks to Wackychimp for picture hosting. Thanks.

Russ

Mat Clayson of Hi-Impact made that out of metal.
It was worn by Sean Patten, a programer on the game.

I've seen bits and pieces of it around Mat's garage.

D6

Really? Interesting. Is Mat a member here? Any chances of getting pictures of the armor?

Russ

Possitive.
I've heard the story of how they met many times over starting in 97 when I met them at a Con in SF.
That pic in the driveway also looks a lot like Mat.
Not saying it is though, just looks like him.

Sorry Rook Mat doesn't do the forum thing and as far as I know he sold it about 5 or 6 years ago.

Not possitive but I think the BDU's where owned by Robin Yang.
I know he has a set.

D6

I'm not entirely sure that's the same armor in both pics. The "HICKS" lettering is bigger in the driveway pic.

I know the patterns are the same, but it wouldn't be the first time two different prop makers were very attentive to duplicating screenused detail.

(If that IS a pattern seen on screenused Hicks armor, that is. I can't find any reference at the moment.)

COOL footwork Rook 3...

I LOVE research like that when it comes to an end.

Man, I still have a Jaguar and that game boxed up in my closet. Loved it when it first came out.

I should sell the damn thing. LOL.

I bought a Jag just so I could play that game again. :)

I actually have been playing it on my laptop at work when I have downtime. :)
The game is still creepy as hell. You never know when stuff will jump out at you.

It was actually the first console game that made me drop the controller
from shock when I got suprised.

Well, that, and I had the audio pumped through the stereo so I could hear everything.
My wife thought I'd had a heart attack or something. :lol

I'm not entirely sure that's the same armor in both pics. The "HICKS" lettering is bigger in the driveway pic.

I know the patterns are the same, but it wouldn't be the first time two different prop makers were very attentive to duplicating screenused detail.

(If that IS a pattern seen on screenused Hicks armor, that is. I can't find any reference at the moment.)[/b]

The pattern doesn't match any of the (3 or 4) suits of screen used armor. The long center blob is similar to the one on one suit of SU armor, but that's the only paint detail that matches up near as I can tell.

I think the "Hicks" lettering looks larger in the driveway picture because it's head on. The game image is at an angle. Kind of a distorted perspective.

Mat Clayson of Hi-Impact made that out of metal.
[/b]

I don't think it was metal though. I believe High Impact won an award at a con in 2001 for "Making plastic look like metal."

In all the photos I've seen of Mat's armor the paint pattern doesn't match up. I imagine it could have been repainted of course, but the Atari Jaguar AvP was released in 1994-95. The photos of High Impact I've seen are all from 1999-2001, and the paint schemes on the photos don't match the AvP armor used in the Atari images.

Not doubting, just applying a counterpoint. :)

Russ

I decided to go to the source (English Arms & Armour) and ask about the armor, and received a reply this morning...

Hi Russ thank you for your enquiry. Yes terry made the armour but not specificaly for the game it may have been lent to the company.

The person in the photo [on the right] is in fact terrys brother jim who was modeling the suit.

Hope this helps your forum.

Best wishes Terry English pp Neal P.
[/b]

I thought the fellow in the right photo looked like Terry. :lol

Russ

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back