My X-WING RED 2

Is this the book you speak of?
IMG_4258.jpg

Is this the book you speak of?
This one:

I've researched and asked who saw Red 2 in person. I heard that Red 2 was displayed next Red 3. They said Red 2 was whiter than Red 3. And one them said that Red 2 was like a swan. They didn't say Red 2 looked white but said that the base color should be white. So I didn't want to make my Red 2 dark like another X-Wings. I think the best way is starting from white and add misting grimy colors afterwards if you think it's too white. There's a very good reference in the SW Chronicles book on P.95. Red 2 is taken with Macbeth checker. That would be very helpful!
I'm not as knowledgeable as some people here, but I think it's because Red 2 used to be the Blue 1 prototype, which was clearly whiter and cleaner in comparison to "production" xwings. Maybe when they converted it into Red 2, they did not restart from scratch and kept the original base coat.

I also own this japanese Chronicle book. For people like me who haven't been collecting reference photos for 30 years, it is amazing! Unfortunately, it's pretty much sold out everywhere. Even on ebay it's a hard to find and when you do, it's expensive

I'm not as knowledgeable as some people here, but I think it's because Red 2 used to be the Blue 1 prototype, which was clearly whiter and cleaner in comparison to "production" xwings. Maybe when they converted it into Red 2, they did not restart from scratch and kept the original base coat.

I also own this japanese Chronicle book. For people like me who haven't been collecting reference photos for 30 years, it is amazing! Unfortunately, it's pretty much sold out everywhere. Even on ebay it's a hard to find and when you do, it's expensive
I agree with you. Before I painted my Red 2, I read "Famous Space Ships of Fact and Fantasy" over and over. It says "The X-wings were first painted with white enamel automotive primer". I think it's about Red 2(Blue 1 ). I also read that a space ship looked too white in space and so they added grey in an old SPFX book.
By the way, I found a Tie-Killer mark on the nosecone.
87494394_2400454510264533_5495351285899067392_o.jpg

Excellent work...love it....!!!....well done...!!

I always believed the paint was white and the dirt and grime was simply a black wash.............some folks say the original colour was some kind of off white, but when I painted my Hasbro Hero, I went with white an then a simply black wash......I think you nailed the tone just right...thx for sharing.

When i look at reference pictures of x-wings i always doubt they were basecoated white when i see the white colour of the droid contrasting with the rest of the ship,...red 2 might be white but the rest of the x-wings i really have my doubts.

Thank you yaris! I did black wash first. Then I over-sprayed dark brown mainly on the fuselage.

Voodoocaster, I heard when Red 3 was displayed next to Red 2, Red 3 looked grey. I think Red 3 is greenish off-white.

Wow, I never noticed the "TIE killer" mark on the nose of Red 2 before. I love it! It's great fun seeing new things after all these years. I've built Red 2 as well, and studied my references extensively. I just went back and rechecked those. Sure enough, the mark is visible, but I just never saw it.

Great build, I swear when looking at yours that it's the studio mini.

Great info all around and love that Red 2 had the Tie Fighter on the nose and most of us never knew that until now! Very cool!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back