My Wife's ST Nemesis/First Contact Uniform FINISHED!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Mr. Nagata, May 15, 2012.

1. Mr. Nagata

Mr. Nagata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just finished this costume for my wife. It's just missing the rank pips which I plan on making when I finish my companion costume. This is the culmination of many months of work and research, tracking down the original materials when possible, or custom dyeing fabrics to match screen-used swatches. I haven't seen a lot of (if any) proper female versions of the Nemesis uniform. Most I've seen are converted Voyager-style wool gabardine versions, which is inaccurate since the Nemesis women's uniforms were form fitting spandex and were made from a different pattern. I made this one myself. It lacks the pleats in the back which is accurate for this uniform.

I'm pretty sure Anovos is releasing a Nemesis uniform sometime in the future, but I really wanted this done for the Star Trek convention in August. Also, nothing beats being able to say you made it yourself and I literally tailored this uniform EXACTLY for her.

Special thanks to my wonderful wife for modeling for me and indulging all my crazy obsessions. She's the best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rickhoward and Mike J. like this.
  2. khitomer

khitomer Member

Very very impressed with your worksmanship! Can I ask did you use a pattern? I've ordered the Roddenberry male jumpsuit pattern but have read bad reviews. I'm hoping to create a two piece version (to avoid comfort break problems). Can I also ask what materials you used. Sorry for all the questions but it's just so very impressive!

3. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks perfect! You really nailed the yoke/shoulders, too.

4. Redtogusa

Redtogusa Well-Known Member

Agreed, best shoulders I've seen. The material/color for the shoulders look bang on. Very impressive.

5. khitomer

khitomer Member

Would there be any possibility of you posting a close up photo of the yoke materials? Thanks

6. aradia

aradia Member

Good work there, very nice indeed !!

7. Mr. Nagata

Thanks a lot! I have the male First Contact uniform from Roddenberry and the female Voyager/Early DS9 jumpsuit pattern as well. The male pattern is fine. The problem is the instructions, which are not very comprehensive. You pretty much have to just "figure it out." It will say things like "attach yoke to jumper." Which is actually an incredibly difficult and requires a multi step process. The best thing is to go to the 1701st costumer's page and study the tutorials there.

For this uniform, I started with the Voyager pattern and significantly altered it (adding the cuffs, removing the back pleats, shifting the yoke seams around, reshaping the bodice portion to better suit spandex). It's the third of this family of uniform I've made, so I had enough experience with these to improvise things.

The black material is black matte super spandex, but the men's uniforms were black wool gabardine. The yoke material is a medium gray cavalry twill from International Silks and Woolens that I over dyed black so it's now a much darker color. The undershirt is a cotton lycra spandex from ISW in dark teal. It was the last piece on the roll.

rickhoward likes this.
  8. Mr. Nagata

Oh, also, the trim around the yoke is wool gabardine dyed to match the twill. It's slightly shinier and when you take a flash picture, it tends to look lighter than the twill. I've seen some replicas like "The Experience" versions that made the trim light gray for this reason, but that's not accurate. It should be the same color, but a shinier material that reflects the light more.

rickhoward likes this.
  9. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

Fantastic!! Great work. It looks perfect....

10. STpropguy76

STpropguy76 Active Member

Man I Love this.
    I intend on getting an old Sewing machine and give making my own Uniforms a try.
    I have hand & needle skills but never tried a machine before.

I want & need all the knowledge anyone is willing to share.

............Jeremiah :)

11. EHyde

EHyde Member

Great job! Looks like it fits perfectly!

12. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Ryan, I'm very very impressed with your work. It's screen-accurate as it can be. Can you provide more info in 1701st with your experience of your dying and construction process, I think Steve will be very interested as well, so is Anovos I guess…

I think the department division color band is a weeny bit too broad, but it's very very well done. BTW: can members order from you the fabrics too if they wanted?

13. TiberiousST

TiberiousST Member

Fantastic work! The 1701st is a valuable resource. I've picked up some of the Roddenberry patterns and most pros I've talked to just shake their heads in disgust. Kudos for the stunning work!

14. Eveningarwen

Eveningarwen Well-Known Member

That fit on her is spotless!! I would never have guessed that this wasn't an actual screen used costume. Actually, I probably would based on how well it fits her hahahaha! Brilliant job!

And yeah, roddenberry patterns...........................you're lucky if you have 5 complete sentences telling you how to put something together lol! I have the diana dress and that one actually has like 4 pages of instructions with diagrams. I was super impressed.

15. yeek

yeek Member

Really impressive work!!

16. Mr. Nagata

I'm fixing the department band as we speak. I was somewhat mislead by a photo of a screen used men's sleeve next to a ruler and it looked to be 3/4". I thought it was fat at the time and I should have trusted my gut because it's actually quite complicated to fix it. I'm disassembling the entire sleeve to do it :facepalm

I discussed this briefly on the 1701st forum. My yoke material is the wool cavalry twill from International Silks and Woolens. It's lighter weight than the screen used stuff and lighter in color, so I over dyed it black until it was about the right shade. The dying process also tightened up the weave, so the fabric ends up being heavier weight than when it's starts. The weave is a little tighter than the screen used material, but overall it looks pretty good, IMO. Here is a close-up shot of my uniform (right) next to a close up shot of a screen-used (left):

[​IMG]

I have a swatch of the screen-used "berry" color material, so I matched it pretty closely. I used that as a reference to get the approximate tonal value of the gray. (BTW, my berry cotton spandex in this photo is the back side of the material which is why the weave looks different than the screen used, but it is pretty accurate from the front). The wool gabardine I used for the trim is spot on. The twill is close enough for me.

rickhoward likes this.
  17. khitomer

khitomer Member

Absolutely unbelievable! If I could get 10% of the accuracy you have here I would be happy!

18. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Looks GREAT!!! Nice work!!

19. Mr. Nagata

I altered the position of the tricorder holster loop so it'll sit more in front of her body than on the side of her hip. I also adjusted the division band on the cuff. It's now just over 1/2" wide and looks much better, IMO. Boy that was a tough fix! Because of the invisible stiching method used on the cuff, I had to take apart the whole lower third of the sleeve.

[​IMG]

20. Mr. Nagata

Thanks! You have some terrific costumes on your site.

21. JJohnson

JJohnson New Member

Very well done on the costume!

22. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

Looks spot on! Impressive work.

23. pedro1971

pedro1971 New Member

Really nice work! Looks amazing!

24. Macrossmaster

Macrossmaster Well-Known Member

Came to the thread to see an attractive woman in Star Trek outfit. Was not disappointed.

Good work! LOL

25. kevinericon

kevinericon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is one of the best fan made uniform I've seen. Great job making this. This really deserves more attention than it had. :thumbsup

26. Mr. Nagata

Thanks! She just wore this outfit again this past weekend at Star Trek Las Vegas.

27. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ryan, great seeing you and your wife again. You do some pretty masterful work and your attention to detail shows. We were very impressed !

28. maxdefiant

maxdefiant New Member

I'm a big Trek fan and this is just fantastic!

29. aswb

aswb New Member

id like to make one to but i need soms help please read my pm to you and reply

30. rleibman

rleibman New Member

Hi Ryan... I saw online the photos of the DS9 costume you made for your wife.. It's awesome! I've been trying to nail down the materials to make a costume for myself. Do you have a link to the actual fabrics you used, and if you dyed them then the dye recipe you used? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  31. Mr. Nagata

I got the fabrics at ISW in Los Angeles. The cavalry twill was a different material than the real stuff, but close enough for me. I overdyed it black to make it a little darker. The colored shirt is cotton lycra and the black part is black wool gabardine on the men's uniforms (and the background women's uniforms). Principle female uniforms were made of black super spandex. The stuff I used here isn't exact, but you can get pretty much the exact stuff at many fabric stores.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018