My weekend trip to see the 11ft Enterprise

I saw the big E once hanging up and once down in the gift shop at the NASM on the mall in DC. What is there now? I thought the NASM has a huge center at Dulles?

The Enterprise is no longer hanging outside the gift shop, since 2000 or so it's been on display in a very large glass case in the basement section of the gift shop, at the very back. If you don't know exactly where to look, you're better off asking someone that works there, because you'd be hard pressed to simply stumble across it, it's hidden pretty well. :unsure

And to clarify, the Enterprise is at the Air and Space museum on the National Mall, not at the Dulles facility. Although Dulles does have the space shuttle Enterprise on display. :)

I realize Ed M. was doing what he thought was right, but man that %^$#ing grid has been a pet peeve of mine for many years.

I really hope they consider moving it to a more prominent place for the fortieth and getting Greg (J.) or someone else to do the next restortation.

The worst part is that the grid gets into so much licensed and other product because of it being on the Smithsonian display - people use that as their argument for it's authenticity.

The only time I was there, I was in DC for a convention and literally ran over to see it, had no camera with me, and it was in dire need of a restoration. Who knew it would come out looking like that?.? :-\

Hey,

Just went to Dulles NASM and got my Enterprise pic...

ss1.jpg

:lol

And the CE3K Mother Ship is right next to it:

ms1.jpg

ms2.jpg

HAH. BrianM you spotted the little R2 on the Close Encounters ship too? I was psyched when I noticed that when I was there this past spring.

And I'm BUMMED that I didn't realize the Star Trek Enterprise was in the gift shop of the NASM--I was just there in the spring and had no idea that was hiding out in there. They REALLY should do more to let people know that's there--I would have loved to have seen that.. :angry

<div class='quotetop'>(KUROK @ Jul 17 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]1282423[/snapback]</div>
Wow, you can see the left wing leading edge RCC pieces that were removed for the Columbia investigation...
[/b]

Yes that is surprising to see this late in the game. Some simple mock ups could cover that up.
Or maybe it was left that way to demonstrate the issue to visitors and that the Enterprise was still serving a useful function as an engineering donor.
Anyways, looks like they have the problem whipped now with Discoverys second flight returned safely today.

I did get to the NASM at the mall too. Asked the girl at the information counter where the Star Trek Enterprise was at and she looked at me like I was from Mars. She had no idea. I didn't see it in the gift shop so I thought they moved it. Finally I looked in the "basement" and there she was. I tried not to repete pics:

E0.jpg

Actually it's kind of nice, once you find it, you can get close and nobody bothers you when you drool on the case.

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

Look what is missing here. I never noticed that before. Can you see it on the show?

E4.jpg

Worst paint job of all time.

<div class='quotetop'>(BrianM @ Jul 17 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]1282858[/snapback]</div>
E3.jpg

Look what is missing here. I never noticed that before. Can you see it on the show?

[/b]

That's where the cables for the electronics used to run out the side of the secondary hull. That was closed off the first time it was restored, back in the seventies. That side of the hull never had details.

Marecki should be tortured for that paint job - what was he thinking?
Lets just hope the next person to restore it has some respect as opposed to trying to make it look like a modern film miniature.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back