My 'Vintage Found-Parts' Lightsaber: Opinions wanted!

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
Hey guys!

So every time I go to a flea market I look for a Graflex 3-cel flash handle... still nothing yet - but I just about crapped myself when I happened upon this vintage flash handle from Canon. It was $15 and very worth it!

It originally looked something like this: (these pics are of a similar unit I found online, but mine has a bottom)

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.39.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.35.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.39.33 PM.png

So: I gutted it - and took off that little shroud attached to the back of the reflector. I flipped it upside down and it happened to fit snugly into the handle.

Oh and the pieces seen on the front are some odd bits that were inside the handle that I thought might look cool there.

It was starting to look like Luke's ANH saber so I added some rubber gaskets for a grip, and filled the button with an NES Tennis cartridge. And this is where I've been at for about 6 months. Frozen in time!

Lightsaber.png-

BUT - See that pic with the question mark? That back profile bothers the heck out of me - it seems so empty from that angle. I'm looking for some kind of design suggestions on what to add - make it less tapered by adding something maybe? Buttons? Bits and bobs? No idea!

Open to any suggestions!

Cheers!

-AJ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.35.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.35.37 PM.png
    368.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.35.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 7.35.44 PM.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 222
Hi AJ,

I love vintage parts based lightsabers ... excellent! So perhaps you can use that thumbscrew and some of that leftover black parts?

And don't forget to add . . . . a D-ring for easy wearing ;)

Chaim

I have no practical advice, alas, (since you have a slot there, maybe rig some "ears"?) but I do compliment you on your saber. Nicely done.

looking great!
Do you still have that botton with the knurled edge? Is the tube 38mm O.D., If so, I´d like to take it off your hands, if you have no other use for it ;)

Markus

Looks great.
I really like it.
Someone normal wouldn't notice the difference to a Graflex.
Your build has some nixe similarities to the real thing [emoji106]

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100G mit Tapatalk

If you trust yourself to cut into it, you could add the "H" like you would see in the Vader MOM ROTJ, and then ad a d ring holder...

Or some sord of button just before the "shroud"

I like it A LOT. I'm a fan of vintage flash builds, and that makes me want to find that same flash.

Personally I think it looks pretty awesome the way it is. Great job! I like vintage flashtube custom lightsabers. I just finished a custom lightsaber build using a vintage Peak flashtube and I am happy with how mine turned out. Anyway, I say leave it but that is up to you, all said and done.

Andy

Agreed. It's not a Graflex, nor should it be. Just add a D-ring for belt hanging and maybe some "guts" (some kind of recharge port behind the hole and a flashlight reflector in the emitter) and you're done.

i LOVE this. I'd seen canon flashes and wondered how they'd work as OT pieces. You've done a wonderful job.

Design wise, you could round off those corners, or fit something into that slot (or the round hole)

What lights do you have rigged in there?

Hi AJ,

I love vintage parts based lightsabers ... excellent! So perhaps you can use that thumbscrew and some of that leftover black parts?

And don't forget to add . . . . a D-ring for easy wearing ;)

Chaim

Yeah I've tried using the thumbscrew in places, but haven't found the right place yet, Ideally I'd be using all the parts I have left over from taking this thing apart. Any Yes to the D-Ring!

I have no practical advice, alas, (since you have a slot there, maybe rig some "ears"?) but I do compliment you on your saber. Nicely done.

Thanks! ANd I was thinking of adding some of "ear" or a fin of some kind - I have a lot of excess aluminum lying around - I just might see if I can rig something up.

looking great!
Do you still have that botton with the knurled edge? Is the tube 38mm O.D., If so, I´d like to take it off your hands, if you have no other use for it ;)

Markus

Sadly the model in the pics is slightly different than what I actually have - there was no knurled edge at the bottom - Sorry!

Looks great.
I really like it.
Someone normal wouldn't notice the difference to a Graflex.
Your build has some nixe similarities to the real thing [emoji106]

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100G mit Tapatalk

Thanks! That was the goal! I've always wanted my own saber design with a hint of the Lukes. It turnd out to be a lot like Lukes, but I'm very happy with that.

Just an idea but painting the back profile black or bronze or something might add some dimension. Love the saber by the way.

I tried adding a copper plate over the top at one point, but it looked too much like something out of the prequels. And I was toying with black over the back, but also couldn't find a balance that seemed to work. I'm open to some designs!

If you trust yourself to cut into it, you could add the "H" like you would see in the Vader MOM ROTJ, and then ad a d ring holder...

Or some sord of button just before the "shroud"

I like it A LOT. I'm a fan of vintage flash builds, and that makes me want to find that same flash.

I don't trust myself sadly - I've be pretty terrified. I want to keep the shapes as intact as possible unless I'm struck with some design inspiration that must be done!

And I TOTALLY recommend finding an old flash and seeing what can be done! It feels so good to have the constraints of using something like this - you have a playing field to design within. I have no idea where you can pick up this specific flash - it was in a pile of junk at a flea market near Hollywood - so it was just lucky. I tried very hard to find even just pics of another model online but had little luck (as you can see) but it you can find one - go for it!!

Agreed. It's not a Graflex, nor should it be. Just add a D-ring for belt hanging and maybe some "guts" (some kind of recharge port behind the hole and a flashlight reflector in the emitter) and you're done.

Yeah that's about where I'm at other than maybe adding to the shroud. Gotta fill in the guts and I have a piece to add inside for the emitter as well - just haven't found a way to secure it yet.

i LOVE this. I'd seen canon flashes and wondered how they'd work as OT pieces. You've done a wonderful job.

Design wise, you could round off those corners, or fit something into that slot (or the round hole)

What lights do you have rigged in there?

No real lights yet- just dropped an led flashlight in there for pics.

And so here is an update - cut a piece of Alluminum as a "Fin to go into the slot - too some of the parts from the inside and added a bit on an emmiter on the inside - and also pressed 2 spare buttons into some of the holes:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,481
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,440
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,443
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,414
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,425
I picked up a little one a while back, thought it would be fun to do something with. Not as many useable parts as you have...

15808725510_6a42e05f58_c.jpg

It's small... so a padawan saber? I dunno. It looked cool so I grabbed it...

15373753654_c6150a6494_c.jpg

It was great you were able to easily attach that shroud... I may try something similar cutting up chrome tubing... I dunno... All I've done is added a cut up nintendo cartridge I got for a buck at the flea market.

Not trying to hijack your thread... just saying you got me wanting to figure this one out...

Love that black emitter part and top fin ... I'd say you're 99% done ... all you need is a D-ring ;) ... by the way Roy Gilsing just finished creating new Kobold replica's with a D attached ... perhaps something to consider for yours?

Chaim

I picked up a little one a while back, thought it would be fun to do something with. Not as many useable parts as you have...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7491/15808725510_6a42e05f58_c.jpg

It's small... so a padawan saber? I dunno. It looked cool so I grabbed it...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7463/15373753654_c6150a6494_c.jpg

It was great you were able to easily attach that shroud... I may try something similar cutting up chrome tubing... I dunno... All I've done is added a cut up nintendo cartridge I got for a buck at the flea market.

Not trying to hijack your thread... just saying you got me wanting to figure this one out...

Yeah that middle saber looks pretty small - might be hard to make that it's own thing. Mine came with a ton of crap and I still feel really limited. But - hey yours looks cool so far! Maybe just take some other camera gear and see what you can mash together.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back