My Very Easy Method for Spotting Millennium Falcon Differences

Hello

I have a more general question on the MF models used in the film and the models available right now.
I read that the FM versions and also the MPC one (apart form additional issues) have a too flat general shape. I think to have red that the 5' model was more curved then the 32" version. So are the above mentioned FM and MPC kits just too flat to resemble a 5' MF or are they even too flat for the 32" version?
I only had one MF so far...which was in the early 80ties...which IIRC was an Airfix version (MPC?). I am normally buidling airplanes, tanks and ships...but would like to have a Falcon again. I have the 144 Bandai on order...
I concider myself a meduim skilled builder but very daring in poly curtting and altering of things...which my plastic trash can is able to confirm ;-)

thanks
Uwe

These are images that I found on Maruska's thread & blog,....I resized them & overlaid them to show the differences in hull thickness between the studio models:

Wj8kw0W.jpg

I'll post an image of the difference in thickness between the 32'(scaled down) to the FM Falcon

J

Last edited:
A very nice website that has been mentioned on FaceBook today about the history of the Millennium Falcon concept:

http://kitbashed.com/blog/a-complete-history-of-the-millennium-falcon

The interesting thing is how much effort & design that went into making the 'Pirate Ship' only to have the ship shelved all because of Space 1999's Eagle Transporter......so they redesigned the shape into the 'Burger' shape we know now,......why did they call it 'The Millennium Falcon'??

Because of that Space 1999 Eagle

J

A very nice website that has been mentioned on FaceBook today about the history of the Millennium Falcon concept:

http://kitbashed.com/blog/a-complete-history-of-the-millennium-falcon

The interesting thing is how much effort & design that went into making the 'Pirate Ship' only to have the ship shelved all because of Space 1999's Eagle Transporter......so they redesigned the shape into the 'Burger' shape we know now,......why did they call it 'The Millennium Falcon'??

Because of that Space 1999 Eagle

J

I had heard it was more an homage to "The Maltese Falcon" since Han Solo was supposed to be a Humphrey Bogart-type character.
Either works for me...

Now is it me--or does the lit engine compartment seem to be at an angle here:
http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/04/Header-1.jpg

Look at the extreme left of the grid--there seems to be some slant there.

hi publiusr, in some shots it does seem so, and that the top half of the engines also slope in ward in a kind of inverted chevron '>'. however its unclear whether its actually the blue light panel sloping inward or whether the darker engine grills are triangular shaped giving the impression that the blue light panel slopes inward to the centre.
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 8.34.24 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-31 at 8.56.40 am.png

Last edited:
Well now,....here's another model for ya.....

The SE asset,... a CG model that was added to the Original Trilogy in '97....it's pretty good, based mostly on the 32",...but it has some wee 5 footer parts & some areas that are of it's own

The first time we see her is when she is lifting off from Docking Bay 94......lovely shot were we see her engines warm up

As I said,...she's mostly the 32"....but where I've marked are the 5 footer style parts:

EF3z14G.jpg

There is that strange sunken pit on the rear Portside that is of it's own style.....it looks a bit empty

B3na7EY.jpg

O6HCC3x.png

& the 5 footer spacings of the actuator flaps & fuel Injector things

fIilqmt.jpg

Some beauty shots of her that was used on the Star Wars website (before Disney),...& in the DeAgostini magazine

d6jbz4W.jpg

kA1ZOyj.jpg

There is a dark grey patch on the port mandible that didn't appear in the film....but is on this promo Falcon

ekMmJlH.jpg

TSx7Z26.jpg

So with all this info in mind we can see that the Falcon in the Death Star Hanger is the 32" model,....not this CG Hybrid

6DAfXhb.png

.....& the Falcon used for illustrations in the Haynes MF Manual is the SE CG Asset

JfK2Tgi.jpg

Hope this helps

John

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back