My version (WIP) of the "Masonic brick" as seen in National Treasure

MurdocXXL

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been on the search for a nice looking and an as accurate as possible “Masonic brick” as seen in “National Treasure” for a while now and a view month ago I found a nice looking old brick/clinker in the back if my garden. At the very first time I saw this brick it immediately reminds me of the "masonic brick". So about 2 weeks ago I started to give it a try. Here’s the story about MY brick.
1) Made a masonic logo out of FIMO (modelling clay) (as good as i could, as my sculpting skills are limited)
2) After the FIMO sculpt dried out (hardened in an ofen) I’ve made a silicon form out of it and casted it with plaster.
3) Used an old brick, with a nice shape and made a hole into it and placed my plaster-logo.
4) Added some plaster around the Logo to get it look to be stamped into the brick before cured out.

Here are 2 pics of this process

5) As the brick has been about 1cm to short in hight, I’ve added some plaster to get the final thickness of the brick.
6) After that I used a “wood-glue-sand-mix” to cover the entire surface (excluded the backside)
7) After that layer dried out, I covered it again with an spray-paint “granite stone” which has some structure itself, to smoothen the “sand-feeling” of the first layer.
8) Then I've made the silicon-mold from the stone (pics of the mold to follow later on).
9) To mold the brick with a hollow back, it was necessary to make a separate casting-mold. So I took some “Balsawood”, cut it in the correct shape, added a thin layer of plaster to the panels, which will be the inside of that hole, and glued it together.
10) After everything cured and dried out, I took a silicon-mold of it. This in addition, has a wooden core, which can be pulled out, after the cast of the brick has cured, to get the silicon-form out of the brick again.

Okay, after a lot to read here are 2 quick pics from the very first cast coming out of the mold

Casting is made in a special two-component material and consists of a mineral powder and a water based acrylic resin. It is called “Acrylic-One”. I used this material to get the most accurat look and feeling of a real brick.
More pics of the final brick and the mold to follow as soon as possible.

Hope you like how it turned out. For myself, I am really happy with it. Now I just have to paint it and store my glasses at the back ;)

Many thanks for you comment Brad.
Glad you find it "close enough" to ask for a run :)

Let me have some more time to finish this one first, to get a feeling
how long it take to make a finished brick. Anyhow at least an interest
thread is considered ;)

As I said in German forum, it is really fantastic! Count in me for your interest thread!

Congrats my friend! ;)

Awesome, if you ever offer them up, You will have a purchaser here.
I was contacted this week to make some more glasses, so started a small batch in the works if anyone is interested, you can pm me.

Many thanks for you feedback. I am really happy that you like it.
Stay tuned for more pics. I am trying to finish the first one during the
week-end.

Many thanks for you comment Brad.
Glad you find it "close enough" to ask for a run :)

Let me have some more time to finish this one first, to get a feeling
how long it take to make a finished brick. Anyhow at least an interest
thread is considered ;)

My pleasure. I have the foam rubber brick but I would love to have a more rigid brick.

@137th..many thank for your comment :)
@Brad..be sure it will be more rigid ;)

ok, picture time ;)

Had some time to finish the first 2 bricks this week-end. One is going to a very special friend, very soon early next week :)

First of all some pics from the mold an construction:

1) The gray parts in front is the hollow-part of the stones back:

Next pics are taken will demolding the 3rd brick. I already added some color to the plaster as you see!

2) Taking out the "holding construction":

3) Demolding the mother form (laying now on top ;) ):

4) Taking out the mold, building the hole in the back:

5) Taking out the brick itself:

6) all components:

After the casts dryed out for a mininum of 24 hours i started painting them.

1) Left to right: bare casted brick, painted with a mix of 50:50 color and water, 100% paint (this has been the first, plain white cast)

2) Same as above - front view:

3) Left 50:50 mix., middle and right, both have a layer of brown and black "washes":

4) ready painted front (screenshot at the back for comparison):

Next pics to follow in my interest thread ;)

Hope you like it. If you have any questions, comments or critics... feel free to post :)

My pleasure. I have the foam rubber brick but I would love to have a more rigid brick.

Save that one to throw at the mother in law when she visits :lol

I haven't seen these movies (horrible isn't it)? My dad likes them though and sculpting something as intricate as those Masonic markings can't be easy and you did a really good job.

Thanks for your Feedback :)

I will post a pic of the final brick, as soon as the weather is getting better over here
and i have a chance to catch some nice photos ;)

Stay tuned for more...and again thank for you comments. Really appriciated :)

Ok, small update again. First finished prototype arrived with his new proudly owner :) I will let himself post his expressions here if he likes to do so. The last question is answered. Keep your eyes open at the Junkyard, during the coming week-end ;)

But i will also post here, as soon as the Int-thread is open.

okay, since I am the lucky owner I will post some first promo pictures. the brick is pictured with the glasses made by Tripoli and you can see how great these two pieces look together. the brick has some good weight, a fantastic paint job and is a great addition to my NT collection.

DSCF0275.jpg

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0276.jpg

DSCF0278.jpg

DSCF0279.jpg

DSCF0280.jpg

DSCF0282.jpg

DSCF0281.jpg

DSCF0283.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back