my tydirium

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by trooper, Feb 26, 2012.

1. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i did this model maaany moons ago. it was my second airbrush paint job, it took me several attempts to get it where i was ok with it. my first air brush paint job was the x-wing, that recently suffered a horrible crash into a giant round abyss...the trash can :)

originally it had grain of rice bulbs that would flash the marker lights, over the years a couple lights burnt out (sadly) and im not gong to tear it appart to fix her, i have another kit awaiting to be built with improvments.
    hope you guys like it.

Attached Files:

2. ironjedi

ironjedi Guest

Looks Awesome.Good Job.

3. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Nice.... I have one of these. I was going to mount it next to my studio scale one , a la the museum display. Looks great.

4. GRINCH

GRINCH Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is this the MPC model from 1983? Great paintjob!

5. trooper

yes it is an mpc. it was much more impressive when it had blinky lights :sad

thank you for all the comments guys :)

jerry

6. blakeh1

blakeh1 Sr Member

Looks great

I have one of these partially built. Did you add any additional detail. I don't remember the guns and some of the detail looking that good

What did you do for the canopy, is it painted solid, or is it more like tinted sunglasses? My canopy is crystal clear on the release I have and I've been wondering how to handle it.

Also there are so many wonky wits and gaps to deal with.

Seeing nicely finished ones this this gets me motivated to pick back up where I left off

7. Scratchy

Scratchy Well-Known Member

Very nice job! I have the same kit.... somewhere in the pile.

8. trooper

the guns were made from brass, the ones in the kit were horrible.
    the canopy took me several tries at heating it and bending to the shape, at the time i new nothing of vacuum forming...that would have been much esyer lol the canopy is made of white styrene painted black.
    the turret guns were remolded.
    the detail bits are styrene strips and round stock.

"Also there are so many wonky wits and gaps to deal with"
    i totally agree with that :)

the rpf wasnt even around when i built this, so now there is much more resource information to be used. my next build on this model will have more detail.

scratchy and blakeh1,
    thank you for your comments, i do realy apreciate it :)
    thank you :)

9. Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan New Member

I can't tell you how many times I have pulled this kit out, and just haven't got the project off the ground! I like that it's larger in size, and just the overall lines of the design. I want to do the basic blinking lights, etc;

You did a nice job on the paintwork, great mild weathering. (the right grime in the right spots!) Very nice.

Hey, I have a great modeling buddy there in Spokane, his name is Kerry Day. He loves Star Wars stuff too! Maybe you guys could look each other up! Boy are you getting the white stuff right now!!! Brrrrr!!!!!!! :cheers

10. trooper

yes, saturday we got nailed, it's mostly gone now.....im sooooo tired of the snow. ive been to florida once....it was niiiiice:cool:cool

11. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I like this one a lot. Even if the MPC kit is a little "smooshed" from front to back, it is still IMHO one of the best models of a Star Wars subject they ever did and they look great when done up well, like this one is.

12. trooper

thank you :)
    on the next one im going to correct as many of there mistakes as possible. like the way the front of the ship dips down to far, it shold be more strait forward. im going to correct the underneath detail where the ramp is. for the blights i will run leds instead of bulbs...they last longer. plus add engine lights. also more detail in the trenches or what have you on the wings. there is allot more info now and i can get it more accurate.