my Tron legacy Sam costume

Genesis

Hi guys :)
I was working on a Tron legacy Sam suit for an event like explained in my tron Identity disc post.
here are some pictures (not all because I've taken 168 xD
I've found a suit on the internet and use it as a basis for the costume
here is the picture when I've got it:
1.jpg

after sewing some velcro bands
10.jpg

I've worked on the EL panels
22.jpg

24.jpg

and the wiring
42.jpg

the ID disc is held in place by two strong magnets
57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

the shoes cames from surf second hand
64.jpg

75.jpg

77.jpg

the system is powered by my own electronic.
I've disassembled an EL inverter
90.jpg

96.jpg
and rebuilt it in smaller size to fit in my box.

101.jpg

I'm using my own Lithium ion battery to power my system like for my ID disc
87.jpg

108.jpg

the EL sequencer is made based on an arduino
111.jpg

115.jpg
118.jpg

119.jpg

131.jpg
connectors have been used to connect the power unit to the suit
139.jpg
the test of all the EL sheets on table
142.jpg

Last edited:
the suit is controlled by a swith in my left hand and a reed sensor to detect if the disc is mounted or not.
I have two leds near the switch to give me the battery gauge and if the disc is in right position. a trick is used to only have two wires for the switch and two leds.
148.jpg

here is the power unit finished
158.jpg

and the suit finished
163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

here is the backstage test of the suit:
the suit is turned off when I put the disc on my back because the disc play the Sirens message and the suit is turned on in sync with it. so it takes 24 seconds to turn it back on.
the suit is turned off when the disc is removed except if I remove it when I hold the button. this is what I do in the video (I've programmed this option to be able to play with the disc with the suit turned on :) )
I'm looking in my hand when I put back the disc because the led tell me if the disc in in the right position (blue) or out of the magnets (red)

unfortunately no sound on this one due to a recording problem (I have no luck with photographs the SD card died just before to take pictures):

the battery life is good. like for my ID disc.
I've used the suit + disc for more the 4h without charging it and with near continuous use. the disc is now at 40% charge from the smart battery gauge.
A complete charge is done in 2h so the ratio is 1:2 (one hour charge for two hours use like for the disc)

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps I will work on a disc wars helmet if I have some free time. But it seems to be complex (polycarbonate)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of doing disc wars helmet after my Loki is done, I've got one model but it's...not great I think I'll have to use it as a base and modify to suit. If you do one please remember to post some progress pics for inspiration.

No problem.
I think the best way will be vacuum molding to build it but I need free time to work on it. and I have lot of things/projects to do before.

Some pics from the comic con paris :)
It takes me one hour to put the costume.

benoit_rugraff_2.jpg

Daft Punk-Daftworld_1.jpg

Yann Shespankh_2.jpg

DSC_0915.jpg

that was really fun xD

and my new shoes :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back