My Take on a Warrior version of Wonder Woman

Belleb08

I am in the beginning stages of creating my own version of Wonder Woman taking inspiration from fan art and the comic itself. I decided I wanted to make a Greek Warrior version of her. Here is my concept sketch of what I hope to achieve:
My Wonder Woman.JPG

I am planning to make it all out of leather, Worbla, and scale mail. I have already purchased most of the supplies (minus the Worbla) through eBay. I got the supplies for the scale mail via The Ring Lord and have completed my two panels for the skirt.

An in process picture:
scale mail 1.JPG

Finished panel back and front:
scale mail 2.JPGscale mail 3.JPG

As I progress further I will keep updating this thread with pictures and my findings. :D

Okay so I have finally made a little progress on WW; has been a crazy few weeks. So, I made a mockup of the skirt out of fabric and had some major issues. Sorry there are no progress pics as I was having so much trouble with the mockup and trying to get it to work to take any pics. Future notes fabric can not hold he weight of chain mail and it is hard to get an idea when trying to pin in on yourself. Well once I got it to a point where I could kind of get an idea of my design, I absolutely hated it. So back to the crashing board. I sketched up a new design that I think will work much better. Needed to change the design to add more coverage since I felt really naked in the original. So now it shall be in two parts a scale mail underskirt that will show at the sides and a leather roman style over skirt. Below is the new skirt design, let me know your thoughts.
New Skirt concept.JPG

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 324
Last edited:
So over the past two days I have been doing a lot of work with sketching up the pattern for the new skirt. Tonight is getting the mockup on and seeing how it looks. But I am also reconsidering the blue leather I have for the skirt. I feel it is a little too light for Wonder Woman, but it was the best I could find at the time. Also, I do not like how it looks with the red leather I have for the corset. I have ordered three samples of a dark blue which should be here any day now, will post pics of all the samples with the red I have and the original blue I got. For now here are pics of the pattern for the skirt.
Skirt Front.JPGSkirt Back.JPGSkirt side.JPGScale Mail under skirt.JPG

Last edited:
Good job on the planning. Lol I always tend to get impatient halfway through lol

I am big on the planning, that is the easy part for me, I get impatient and frustrated when actually trying to build the pieces lol but I have people pushing me so I have been keeping on schedule.

Promises to be epic. Zelikovitz (www.zelistore.com) is where I buy my dyes. You can change the tone to one you like better. I make armour so if you need any tips on assembly feel free to pm me.

Sent from my C6616 using Tapatalk

Promises to be epic. Zelikovitz (www.zelistore.com) is where I buy my dyes. You can change the tone to one you like better. I make armour so if you need any tips on assembly feel free to pm me.

A pauldron would look great with this costume as well.

Thanks so much Kingsley!! I will defiantly PM you if I need help with putting things together and thanks for the tip with the dye. I need to buy more leather for the new design so I am thinking of using a darker leather for the top layer and the lighter leather I have as the bottom layer of tabs. As for the pauldron I am actually looking at making one at some point not sure if I will get it done by June. But I am trying to design one now using worbla and scale mail. I am also looking to build two roman style swords and a double sheath to wear on my back. I keep adding to her all the time and as I grow the costume I will add to this post.

I got the leather samples I asked for in the navy blue that I thought would be better for the skirt, well it is!!! Here is a picture of the samples with the blue I currently have and the red for the top:
leather samples with flash.JPG
So here is my new plan for the skirt. I am going to use the navy blue for the top layer of the skirt(the yokes and top layer of tabs) and use the lighter blue for the bottom layer of tabs and possibly as a decorative trim on the yoke. I am also only going to put the stars on the tips of the top layer of tabs.

Tonight I am going to make up a mockup of the skirt so that once the new leather arrives I am ready to go. Look for that post to come soon :)

So even though I have a very busy weekend I managed to squeeze in a little Wonder Woman work. I was able to make a mockup of my skirt and put it on to see how it would look. I love it!!! just might raise the difference in the tab heights in the front a bit. I just need to add the under layer of scale mail to see how that will work, but I am almost positive I am going to have to scale down the scale mail a lot.
Skirt mock front.JPGSkirt mock side.JPGSkirt mock back.JPG

Great job so far! Will the entire skirt be chain mail?

What I have pictured up there will be made out of leather. The Scale mail will go on the sides under the leather to fill in the gap from front to back. I hope to get it all put together tonight so I can post pictures on here.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words of support for my project!!!

So today was a lot of planning since all my worbla has been ordered and is suppose to arrive tomorrow. I will be posting my concepts and would love to hear your input on them since these are the pieces that make Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman. I was trying to get a true warrior feel and the decorative work I took from that she was an Amazon Princess and that they worshiped Diana who was the goddess of the hunt and associated with wildlife, hence all the vine and animal details.

This is my concept for the breast plate:
Breast plate concept.JPG

This is the concept for the belt:
Belt concept.JPG

The concept for the head piece:
Head Piece concept.JPG

Leg Armor:
Leg armor concept.JPG

The Bracers(have two concepts input on which one would be great):
Bracers concept.JPG

The Pauldron(have two concepts input on which one would be great):
Pauldron concept.JPG

As promised here is the skirt mockup with the scale mail underskirt. The scale mail needs to be taken down in size. I think I am going to make it the right size just to fit the opening on the sides and shorten it a bit. Plus, I just ran a ribbon through it so I could tie it on. I am going to try and come up with a better way of attaching it to a belt.
Skirt mockup with scale mail.JPG

Okay so I have cut out the leather for the skirt...whew. I used double sided tape to hold down all the pieces so I didn't punch wholes in the leather with pins. I also made pattern pieces for everything so I could figure out how to lay it out on the leather since I got just 10 in^2 extra of the new darker blue. I had enough and here are the photos:
leather cutting1.JPGleather cutting2.JPGleather cutting3.JPG

Next step sewing it all together........

So it has been a crazy week and half and haven't really been able to get much done on my outfit, but I am going to kick it into over drive this week. I hope to have most of the corset done this week and most of the basic pieces of the armor cut out and shaped. So stay tune there should be lots of updates this week.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back