My Sweeney Todd Razor box mods. (Update: Box Mod 4-29-12!)

benhs1898

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello,

the replica in this thread is the 2008 NECA replica. No. 353(not sure) of 500. The replica came with one razor and I purchased the second razor some time later. I plan on filling the last five spaces with the cheaper- but identical- knockoffs from ebay(saves me 130 dollars).

This is a very well done replica. It was originally advertised as a wooden box but the product is actually a soft, faux leather. The leather texture is actually accurate as the screen used prop was a leather covered box, not just wood. The only few inaccuracies are as follows:

-The velvet "brackets" on each side sat lower on original prop. On some of the NECA boxes they sit too high and some even sit just above the edge of the box. (As shown in the first picture.)

-The original box had hardware. A brass nob, a stationary- I think- latch, and a small catch on the lid for the latch. I think the latch held the lid by tension.

-Obviously the original prop had some weathering.

So far I have addressed the first and third issue a bit. Of course there is more work to be done.

The razors do not close as fully as the original props did so the replicas have a very different look when they are closed. I will work on this as I have time to and will post progress here.

The first picture is before working on the bracket. As you can see, it sits too far up and the wood underneath the velvet is exposed.

To lower it, I first removed the bracket(image 2). It was glued in there pretty well but I wasn't worried about pulling the lining up as I could glue it back down later.

The problem was that the stuffing in the lining was pushing the bracket up(image 3). The lining is stuffed with foam attached to a bit of cardboard. I cut out the foam and cardboard out from the area that the bracket rested on(image 4).

After you do that, the bracket should sit at rock bottom, save for the bit of space that the lining takes up.

Note, I did not cut the lining out- it can be seen through the slats. I simply removed the stuffing from it so the lining sits flush with the bottom of the box.

That's all for now. You can see some of the weathering I did on the lid, but it needs more work.

Thanks for looking!

Re: My Sweeney Todd Razor box mods.

Here are some reference shots.

Eventually I would like to add those black spacers to the bottom of the razors.

Great write up and very precise fix! How do you plan on adding the black spacers?

Ideally it would be some black styrene or some other thin plastic.

Just finished working on the right side of the box.

First, I removed the block. The bracket is attached to the holder slats. In picture 3 you can see that it is actually nailed on. I pried that apart because on the original prop, it appears that the bracket is lower than the slatted holder.

Instead of removing the nails, I simply rested the slatted piece on top of them(making sure everything was even) and glued it in place. This puts the holder up a bit and the bracket lower.

I then removed the stuffing from the area so that the bracket would sit flush with the bottom.

Then I glued it all in and VIOLA!

I really prefer how this looks, it looks a bit more real and antique with just a tiny modification.

I also worked on the weathering a little more. The original prop appeared to have black tarnish stains wherever the razors rested so I used the "Making of" book as a reference for the lid weathering.

Next up should be more weathering, getting the rest of the razors, and modifying those to be more SA.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 194

Awesome job on this :thumbsup

What did you use to weather the interior and do you have any pics of the exterior of the box?

It is silly, but I ended up using graphite. I initially used it just to test if the weathering would look any good and it ended up working really well.

hey whatever works ya know :cool I usually would use charcoal on fabric.

It is silly, but I ended up using graphite. I initially used it just to test if the weathering would look any good and it ended up working really well.

Haven't done any weathering on the outside yet. It is really fragile material so I think the only thing you could do would be to add a dusty finish.

gotcha,

Now when you disassemble the inside was it tough to rip out the interior?

Haven't done any weathering on the outside yet. It is really fragile material so I think the only thing you could do would be to add a dusty finish.

Hey, just an update. I decided to modify my razors to make them more accurate to the screen used props. As you can see in the picture below, the razors have a black spacer in between the two halves. If you watch the movie, you'll see that the blades sit lower in the handle and some of them even show out the back (obviously really dangerous). So, I modified mine.

Basically I cut up an old dvd case, drilled a hole, epoxied the piece in there and sanded down the excess. Enjoy!
sweev.jpg

img6610i.jpg

img6612d.jpg

img6613z.jpg

img6615e.jpg

img6616ga.jpg

img6617xl.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back