My "Stormtrooperized" ANH Obi-Wan saber. Finished!

Rodann

Sr Member
I came up with a design for a plastic clamp lever.:) I made it black, to emulate Luke's a little. And did a "test" with black rubber washers under the side buttons. Too much black, I think.

99% Completed:) Just waiting on plastic D-rings. I made two sets of "windvane" sections, trying to decide what looks better. Until I can figure out a way to do the vanes, I made blanks/upgrades for later. And trying to figure out what to do for a "clamp lever", if any.

The calc bubbles need aluminum tape under them- the screws are visible.

I'm happy with them!:)

............................................................................................................

Update 3-24.......

I had a VERY productive Saturday. :) Boss didn't come in, and I spent 5 hours of overtime doing NOTHING work related!LOL Got all the major worries out of the way. Now, it's just easy small stuff. The clamp boxes aren't attached, and except for putting one of the "boosters" on backwards in a rush to take pics, they look awesome! I'm so glad I finally did this.:D I wanna do a "run", but I'd have to take them to another shop- The Bausch family has no sense of humor.

Plus, my boss did show up to bring me his treadmill for $100, and I found an alpine climber on the side of the road! Awesome Saturday.....Going out to see Hunger Games, then out for Mexican food. Trooping tomorrow morning. On second thought, Now I'm tired.:lol

New pics are at the bottom of this first post.

.....................................................................................................

Originally from 3-22:

Partially inspired by McQuarrie's concept art of Stormtroopers with lightsabers, and the idea that Obi-Wan's ANH saber is THE perfect saber design.:D I always had this idea, but never worked at a job that had so much black and white POM (Delrin). :lol

Imagine all the chrome/silver parts of the Kenobi saber as white plastic, and the black and darker parts as black. Duh.:p Like the Comlink. As if the Stormtroopers were issued sabers with their plastic "Plastisteel" armor. This is what I think it would be- An idealized plastic armor-matching version of Ben's saber. I'll probably do the windvane like Luke's ROTJ, since I can't do the fins presently, and the Empire would have better/newer tech than a 30 year old saber part.;) Though I'm sticking with Calc bubbles.

I plan on doing the windvane in two pieces- white with black outer. And the D-ring will probably be store bought nylon or something. The booster will just be "bolt circle" milled the long way, instead of V-cuts like the gear. It's just easier.

I just finished the emitter today, as well as the transistor buttons. Gonna be a day-by-day project, but I'm building two- one to keep as an artsy-fartsy prop, the other probably for ebay.

Last edited:
Re: My "Stormtrooperized" ANH Obi-Wan saber.

I'm insanely interested in this! I'd love to see how it turns out! Are you going to weather up the plastic a bit or keep it all really white? In my opinion you lose lots of detail when pieces are pure white.

This is going to look SO COOL! Can't wait to see wip photos!

Stormtrooperized:

My new favourite word.

:lol Thanks. I said that without really thinking about it, but it is cool.

About. That's what I'm talkin. :sleep

:lol

Thanks everybody. I probably won't weather it, or color the calc bubbles. I'm just going for the clean OT look, but in white armor style. TRYING to do the grips today, but the new guy is a nosy SOB.......always up my butt..."What's that? that's cool! Is that a fixture? What was that round part you were doing?" and so forth. Good god, go away.LOl

This saber should take a week or so. Hoping.

Why not do the bubbles blue and grey to match the trooper ab detail buttons ?

I really like this idea!
And I agree on not weathering it. Sure, the troops (in the trilogy) might have had a few scuffs here and there that doesn't really show up on screen, and not intended to (excluding the Sandtroopers, of course) but the impression was stark, pristine white.
If it were me, I'd keep it to white, some black and grey and blue calc bubbles. Something to represent every color on the armor.

Working on the grips! Since I sold my lathe, I have to mill everything, .....from square blocks. so......yeah. It takes longer.:lol But I got all the "turning" done today on the two grips. Gotta run the vertical slots tomorrow. Quick mockup, and you can see it coming together.:D

A couple pics of our POM stock. Much more than I've ever had. That big black disk is about 3 feet across.

Thank you. I'm trying to not look like a fool......."hey this guy's making a PLASTIC saber. What an idiot.":lol

I just thought that Stormtrooper sabers- in the sense of "armor-issued", might actually be whatever durable "plastic" material they have in Star Wars. Like the armor, comlinks, Binders.....everything but blasters. Even OUR law enforcement have plastic guns and stun weapons, too.....so.....I'm not completely nuts.

Thank you. I'm trying to not look like a fool......."hey this guy's making a PLASTIC saber. What an idiot."

Just the opposite. It's always been my opinion that most saber replicas are too heavy, especially the Obi ANH :facepalm In universe, the core of the saber may be metal, but parts like the front and rear grips would likely be carbon fiber, high impact plastic, or whatever they use in Star Wars.

Re: My "Stormtrooperized" ANH Obi-Wan saber. New pics.

Exactly. It took me a long time to think that way, though- in my mind, metal is "real", and plastic is a toy!:lol

But with Stormtroopers, certain things in plastic make sense......

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back