My "Stormtrooperized" ANH Obi-Wan saber. Finished!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Rodann, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

I came up with a design for a plastic clamp lever.:) I made it black, to emulate Luke's a little. And did a "test" with black rubber washers under the side buttons. Too much black, I think.

99% Completed:) Just waiting on plastic D-rings. I made two sets of "windvane" sections, trying to decide what looks better. Until I can figure out a way to do the vanes, I made blanks/upgrades for later. And trying to figure out what to do for a "clamp lever", if any.

The calc bubbles need aluminum tape under them- the screws are visible.

I'm happy with them!:)

............................................................................................................

Update 3-24.......

I had a VERY productive Saturday. :) Boss didn't come in, and I spent 5 hours of overtime doing NOTHING work related!LOL Got all the major worries out of the way. Now, it's just easy small stuff. The clamp boxes aren't attached, and except for putting one of the "boosters" on backwards in a rush to take pics, they look awesome! I'm so glad I finally did this.:D I wanna do a "run", but I'd have to take them to another shop- The Bausch family has no sense of humor.

Plus, my boss did show up to bring me his treadmill for $100, and I found an alpine climber on the side of the road! Awesome Saturday.....Going out to see Hunger Games, then out for Mexican food. Trooping tomorrow morning. On second thought, Now I'm tired.:lol

New pics are at the bottom of this first post.

.....................................................................................................

Originally from 3-22:

Partially inspired by McQuarrie's concept art of Stormtroopers with lightsabers, and the idea that Obi-Wan's ANH saber is THE perfect saber design.:D I always had this idea, but never worked at a job that had so much black and white POM (Delrin). :lol

Imagine all the chrome/silver parts of the Kenobi saber as white plastic, and the black and darker parts as black. Duh.:p Like the Comlink. As if the Stormtroopers were issued sabers with their plastic "Plastisteel" armor. This is what I think it would be- An idealized plastic armor-matching version of Ben's saber. I'll probably do the windvane like Luke's ROTJ, since I can't do the fins presently, and the Empire would have better/newer tech than a 30 year old saber part.;) Though I'm sticking with Calc bubbles.

I plan on doing the windvane in two pieces- white with black outer. And the D-ring will probably be store bought nylon or something. The booster will just be "bolt circle" milled the long way, instead of V-cuts like the gear. It's just easier.

I just finished the emitter today, as well as the transistor buttons. Gonna be a day-by-day project, but I'm building two- one to keep as an artsy-fartsy prop, the other probably for ebay.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. Peep Williams

Peep Williams Active Member

Re: My "Stormtrooperized" ANH Obi-Wan saber.

I'm insanely interested in this! I'd love to see how it turns out! Are you going to weather up the plastic a bit or keep it all really white? In my opinion you lose lots of detail when pieces are pure white.

3. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Stormtrooperized:

My new favourite word.

4. Beforememory

Beforememory New Member

yeah, that's pretty fantastic

5. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

About. That's what I'm talkin. :sleep

6. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool idea!

7. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is going to look SO COOL! Can't wait to see wip photos!

8. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

I got it! :lol

9. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  10. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Love it!

Blue sky thinking for sure!

Rich

11. Do-Clo

Do-Clo New Member

Nice looking saber idea

12. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

:lol Thanks. I said that without really thinking about it, but it is cool.

:lol

Thanks everybody. I probably won't weather it, or color the calc bubbles. I'm just going for the clean OT look, but in white armor style. TRYING to do the grips today, but the new guy is a nosy SOB.......always up my butt..."What's that? that's cool! Is that a fixture? What was that round part you were doing?" and so forth. Good god, go away.LOl

This saber should take a week or so. Hoping.

13. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I really like this idea!
    And I agree on not weathering it. Sure, the troops (in the trilogy) might have had a few scuffs here and there that doesn't really show up on screen, and not intended to (excluding the Sandtroopers, of course) but the impression was stark, pristine white.
    If it were me, I'd keep it to white, some black and grey and blue calc bubbles. Something to represent every color on the armor.

14. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Working on the grips! Since I sold my lathe, I have to mill everything, .....from square blocks. so......yeah. It takes longer.:lol But I got all the "turning" done today on the two grips. Gotta run the vertical slots tomorrow. Quick mockup, and you can see it coming together.:D

A couple pics of our POM stock. Much more than I've ever had. That big black disk is about 3 feet across.

15. Kevin Gossett

Very nicely done!

16. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Thank you. I'm trying to not look like a fool......."hey this guy's making a PLASTIC saber. What an idiot.":lol

I just thought that Stormtrooper sabers- in the sense of "armor-issued", might actually be whatever durable "plastic" material they have in Star Wars. Like the armor, comlinks, Binders.....everything but blasters. Even OUR law enforcement have plastic guns and stun weapons, too.....so.....I'm not completely nuts.

17. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

Just the opposite. It's always been my opinion that most saber replicas are too heavy, especially the Obi ANH :facepalm In universe, the core of the saber may be metal, but parts like the front and rear grips would likely be carbon fiber, high impact plastic, or whatever they use in Star Wars.

18. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Re: My "Stormtrooperized" ANH Obi-Wan saber. New pics.

Exactly. It took me a long time to think that way, though- in my mind, metal is "real", and plastic is a toy!:lol

But with Stormtroopers, certain things in plastic make sense......

19. Kevin Gossett

That grenade looks incredible

20. MClass

MClass Active Member

"Stormtrooperized" I like that term. Sabers look great!

21. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Then again ... a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away :behave

Nice Trooper-saber by the way :D

-Chaim

22. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Thank you!:) I tried to get it right, and doing it with a side-cutting V-groove mill (that can only reach halfway down the grip!) is tricky. And "eyeballing" the vertical spacing. But I think I finally figured out "good enough".:lol

Doing my custom grip twice helped.

Should I change my RPF name to "Stormtrooperized"?:lol

23. thd9791

Yes. :lol

and this is one of he most original ideas I've seen in a while, I'm very impressed

24. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

:lol

And wow, Thank you:)

25. Darthbauer

Darthbauer New Member

I dig it. Great work.

26. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

Great idea, great execution, I love it. And I second the RPF name change. :D

27. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

:lol Thanks:)

28. crafty

crafty New Member

please tell me your gonna do a run of these?????? I LOVE IT.....awesome work

29. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

His boss might not appreciate it. :lol

30. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

if you do a run....im in for one. very cool

31. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They're terrible. Please send them to me immediately for proper disposal. ;)

Great job!

32. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

:lol Orange Blend, You sound like my dad eating dessert.

I'd have to look into another shop doing them. Right now, it's not on the "front burner", but I am definitely interested in the idea.:D

33. Kevin Gossett

I think a lot of other people are interested in the idea too :lol :thumbsup

34. Filandrius

Definitively. ;)

35. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Thanks:) I added the clamp "lever". More like a slide switch really, though not as gaudy as the brass art deco door chime on the Ep3 saber, I hope. But trying to make the thin lever out of brittle plastic was just not realistic- I'm already afraid to drop one of these things in the "emitter down" direction.:lol

36. neon2102

neon2102 New Member

Great concept, they came out looking good. I'd imagine that's exactly what ST lightsabre's would look like

37. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

it just looks great, so simple but still killer but most importantly, "stormtrooperized"

38. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. You can never go wrong with an Obi-Saber.

39. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Thank you! I really wish that Stormtroopers had sabers, now. Imagine the big, epic saber battles Lucas and McQuarrie pictured originally. Back when it was "The Adventures of Anakin Starkiller".

I might do everything as "Stormtrooperized".:lol This might be my new trend......Star Trek......Batman props.....tonight's dinner.......

I've had a lot of fun doing these. I keep making parts, but I'm done with them. Maybe I should stop, but now I have some extra grips to play around with.

Time to do the "leather and denim" and "cherry and mahogany" sabers, now.;) No, not really. But they WOULD look cool.

40. MightyTank

MightyTank New Member

I love how it came out! Bravo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

41. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

Thank you:)

My Canadian D-rings got here! I'm tho exthited!:lol

Now they're officially "done".

42. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ok, i neeeeed one of these, i realy hope you do a run of these. very nice!!!

[​IMG]

43. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

I think I'm seriously lookin into it........

44. Tan Djarka

Tan Djarka Sr Member

It might be interesting to offer other colors. The black parts would always be black, but the white parts could be grey/silver for a standard saber or any other color available in the correct plastic for a variety of themes. It seems like the concept has a great deal of potential beyond just a "Stormtrooperized" saber. That's what I think anyway.

The only hitch I can think of would be correctly colored D-rings, but you could substitue black prequel style clips/buttons (I can't for the life of me remember their name, but I'm sure I will as soon as I hit the submit button).

45. thd9791

:) Covertech clips?

and yea, this has so much potential!

46. Filandrius

That D-ring is just too pretty to be true. I'm in love with these sabers. :D

47. Rodann

Rodann Sr Member

I listed the second saber on ebay! Yeah, I wasn't going to, but I need the money for something else. Time to list it like I originally planned.;)

jbmobs | eBay