My Star Wars Helmets

Flecktarn92

Now I bought these a while back before I kind of got into prop making (I still am learning the process). The Tie Fighter is a 1997 Rubies reproduction, and says Don Post as well.

Photo5.jpg

The Boba Fett is a newer Rubie's reproduction and not the best copy but ok.

Photo6.jpg

Now I want to try to make copies of the tie fighter helmet off this design but don't know how to go about doing it. Any suggestions would be great.

I did buy a full set of Stormtrooper armor and am in the process of making molds from the pieces. Here is my first attempt at a plaster cast of the faceplate. Regardless enjoy.

Photo7.jpg

You do realize that you are recasting someones armor / helmets, right? That's not usually the right thing to do in this community...

I had a long conversation with the guy, he was fine with it, gave me pointers and tips on where to learn vaccuforming, what he does while making the armor and even gave me instructions on how to build the armor. He essentially helped me through the entire process.

The problem is that the "guy" might not have the ability to give you permission. Now that you have declared you are casting an existing stormtrooper helmet, the board will probably want to know the original maker and verify your story.

You might want to step back a moment and rethink this. Tread lightly.

EDIT: To be frank, I can't think of any maker here willing to allow this.

Last edited:
The problem is that the "guy" might not have the ability to give you permission. Now that you have declared you are casting an existing stormtrooper helmet, the board will probably want to know the original maker and verify your story.

You might want to step back a moment and rethink this. Tread lightly.

EDIT: To be frank, I can't think of any maker here willing to allow this.

Well after taking your advice, I decided to stop recasting. I really didn't know that it was a big thing, I was just going to try to make some copies for some friends. All I had done was copy the helmet face but after realizing how big of a problem it is I won't continue to recast it. Rather I will just use the armor as a reference and start from scratch making my molds based off a physical reference. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I apologize.

You made a good choice.
You can learn a lot from the members on this board…but less if you get banned. Recasting gets you banned.
More importantly, it makes the artists/ creators on this and other sites less likely to share their hard work with us when you rip them off by pouring $10 worth of plaster to make a copy of their work.
I wish I could find the quote from Onigiri on recasting, but since this is a movie (etc) prop forum, I will borrow one from another thread:
"I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power [insert recasting here] that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility... for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it."
-Dr. Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park
If you are interested in the mold building process for armor, check out some threads by Stormtrooperguy. He has great ideas. There are many others…how about this?
http://www.therpf.com/f24/fierfeks-...ment-stormtrooper-boba-armor-links-up-122071/
Just a comment….but I know you will find that making molds of armor will end up costing you more than buying armor from an existing reputable seller. So, you won’t be saving yourself any money. But, if you are into the challenge of building, have at it and welcome!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back