My Star Wars DH-17 Blaster

Tom Sheldon

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... I decided to finally get started with building props and chose the DH-17 blaster to start with.
I already prepared for lots of weathering afterwards to hide imperfections as this project might be not perfect at all!:)

After cleaning up my workspace the first thing I did was of course going to the building center!
After I got a bunch of different things and managed to get home without answering questions about what the hell I m going to do with these things I put everything on my workbench.
I guess most of you know the this feeling already, however I didn't! :)View attachment 88074

Last edited:
I started by cutting the pipes and trying out the dimensions with the reference picture of the masterreplicas DH-17View attachment 88075

...I know the Dremel attachment is totally wrong for this chrome pipe! I used a fitting cut-off wheel for that :D

I love a good scratchbuild, so go ahead and post more than a piece of tubing ;)
Is the chrome tube the correct O.D.? Seems a bit to small IMHO

Markus

Hi Markus!
Yes, the chrome pipe has the right dimensions, however the material is of course stronger and therefore the walls are thinner which makes it look smaller. I realized this only later when I got some pvc pipes for the front part of the gun... Anyway I think in the end the difference won't matter that much :)

For the scope mounts I will use two of these plastic holders for pvc pipes...you know those for electrical wires and stuff...
I also cut out the mag and shell openings from the chrome pipe. Now I know why pvc is so much better! After this two cut-off wheels were gone!

Then I put the scope together and added the adjustment thingies which are actually a screw-cover (don't know how to call this...) which is cut in the middle. And of course I did some bondoing!
View attachment 88245

View attachment 88246

View attachment 88247

I worked on the blaster again and did a rough handle where I could put the vacuform shells on later. I also added most of the greeblies to the tube all cut out of plastic signs...
I also did the muzzle and the corrugated part at the front, also with pieces cut out of a plastic sign. The orange tip is from a funnel and I used a washer which was fortunately the correct size for the muzzle. And of course bondo...

RIMG1010.JPG

and here is the handle section.

RIMG1013.JPG

RIMG1012.JPG

aaaaahhh... I'm sorry the pictures are huge and crappy at the same time...!
You really need to zoom out if you want to see them...sorry!
My next pictures will have an adequate size, I promise! :D

During the last days I did some spray painting and I hope to be ready to assemble the blaster in the next days. I will post pictures of the finished painted parts soon!

I haven't done much in the last time but wanted to show you some weathering and painting:
The middle-section of the gun is almost done, the grip shells are still missing and the scope of course.
IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

The silver barrel needs some sanding and spraying again and I started weathering....
The other side of the gun has a little too much weathering but I think I'll leave it like this.
I also got a pic of the scope progress here:
RIMG1003.JPG

All in all it looks much thinner than the original, because I used chrome(plated) tubes and not PVC. Additionally the gun is a bit longer at the tip which contributes to this look.

Tom

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back