My Star Wars DH-17 Blaster

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Tom Sheldon, Mar 21, 2012.

  1. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... I decided to finally get started with building props and chose the DH-17 blaster to start with.
    I already prepared for lots of weathering afterwards to hide imperfections as this project might be not perfect at all!:)
     
  2. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    After cleaning up my workspace the first thing I did was of course going to the building center!
    After I got a bunch of different things and managed to get home without answering questions about what the hell I m going to do with these things I put everything on my workbench.
    I guess most of you know the this feeling already, however I didn't! :) View attachment 88074
     
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  3. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    I started by cutting the pipes and trying out the dimensions with the reference picture of the masterreplicas DH-17 View attachment 88075

    ...I know the Dremel attachment is totally wrong for this chrome pipe! I used a fitting cut-off wheel for that :D
     
  4. OdiWan72

    OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    3,376
    I love a good scratchbuild, so go ahead and post more than a piece of tubing ;)
    Is the chrome tube the correct O.D.? Seems a bit to small IMHO

    Markus
     
  5. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    Hi Markus!
    Yes, the chrome pipe has the right dimensions, however the material is of course stronger and therefore the walls are thinner which makes it look smaller. I realized this only later when I got some pvc pipes for the front part of the gun... Anyway I think in the end the difference won't matter that much :)
     
  6. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    Ok. So I went on by grinding off the edges of the end cap with my Dremel and also grinded off the parts numbers on the copper tubes which I will use to make the scope.


    View attachment 88243

    View attachment 88244
     
  7. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    For the scope mounts I will use two of these plastic holders for pvc pipes...you know those for electrical wires and stuff...
    I also cut out the mag and shell openings from the chrome pipe. Now I know why pvc is so much better! After this two cut-off wheels were gone!

    Then I put the scope together and added the adjustment thingies which are actually a screw-cover (don't know how to call this...) which is cut in the middle. And of course I did some bondoing!
    View attachment 88245

    View attachment 88246

    View attachment 88247
     
  8. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    Later I put the scope, the mounts and a rail together to see how it will look like in general. The rail is actually the only pre-fabricated part I'm using, I apologize for this :D

    The handles are made out of wood. I will try to vacuform these.

    View attachment 88248

    View attachment 88249
     
  9. OdiWan72

    OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    3,376
    May I suggest to resize your pics?!
    They take forever to load ;)

    Markus
     
  10. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    Yea I'll do that this evening
     
  11. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
  12. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    I worked on the blaster again and did a rough handle where I could put the vacuform shells on later. I also added most of the greeblies to the tube all cut out of plastic signs...
    I also did the muzzle and the corrugated part at the front, also with pieces cut out of a plastic sign. The orange tip is from a funnel and I used a washer which was fortunately the correct size for the muzzle. And of course bondo...

    [​IMG]

    and here is the handle section.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  13. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    aaaaahhh... I'm sorry the pictures are huge and crappy at the same time...!
    You really need to zoom out if you want to see them...sorry!
    My next pictures will have an adequate size, I promise! :D
     
  14. OdiWan72

    OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    3,376
    ;) :thumbsup

    Markus
     
  15. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    During the last days I did some spray painting and I hope to be ready to assemble the blaster in the next days. I will post pictures of the finished painted parts soon!
     
  16. Tom Sheldon

    Tom Sheldon Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    341
    I haven't done much in the last time but wanted to show you some weathering and painting:
    The middle-section of the gun is almost done, the grip shells are still missing and the scope of course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The silver barrel needs some sanding and spraying again and I started weathering....
    The other side of the gun has a little too much weathering but I think I'll leave it like this.
    I also got a pic of the scope progress here:
    [​IMG]

    All in all it looks much thinner than the original, because I used chrome(plated) tubes and not PVC. Additionally the gun is a bit longer at the tip which contributes to this look.

    Tom
     

Share This Page