My SS TIE Fighter

With a bit of irony, I cast my last parts for my TIE fighter. They happen to be the new version of the very first parts I made for my TIE many years ago.

20230309_123322.jpg
20230309_123454.jpg
20230309_125733.jpg

Sorry, my stupid phone screwed up my previous post, so I had to redo it. Grrr!
Beautiful mold once again :cool: :cool: :cool::notworthy::notworthy: I've noticed that your keys are almost completely round...no trouble "snapping" them into place?
Thank you!
They are in fact round. they are (or were) 3/8" ball bearings. I glue them into a 1/4" hole so that most of the ball bearing is above the surface and then pour the rubber over them, creating a locking key. Since the rubber is pretty soft they just push right into the receptacle on the other side.

20230303_182631.jpg

I continue to watch and salivate from the sidelines!!! This is really an incredibly amazing, gorgeous project!!! Keep up the Incredibly nice work - your swgeek name is Perfect for this project!!
Again, thank you Sean that is very high praise.

Yes, one mold. I'm rotating them vertically? You'd think for someone who does 3D work and works on a mill I'd know Z and X axes better. Haha!
I'm rotating them so that the bottom is the same on the inside and outside.

Sorry for the crappy picture, it probably doesn't show what I'm talking about well enough and I took it at work, so I had to crop out work stuff in the background.

20230316_202750.jpg

So I was assembling a wing yesterday, and as I got 5 of the 6 I beams on the edge of the wing I flipped it over to look at something and realized...I am now flipping the wingstars horizontally, D'oh! Oh well not a big deal. Looking at my references pictures they did it both ways.
I totally see why they switched the wing construction method for Empire, what a pain in the a**!! Cutting all the I beams around the wingstars sucks!
Here's where I am at. The T strip will go on later today.

20230325_110248.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back